Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the migration has started
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the heck of it, I ran a check on a retirement calculator.

For a 25 year old, starting with 10K in the bank, it would be necessary to save and invest USD 627.00 a month until the age of 65 to have a million bucks upon retirement at age 65. This is assuming investment at an average annual return of 5% (about standard for low risk funds).

Even given a won/dollar exchange of 1,200/1$, that would mean about 750,000 won a month, or a little over 9 million a year. Most on this board, I believe, would be in agreement that ESL teachers, even hagwon teachers, but especially university teachers, can steal away 9 million a year.

This is, of course, pretty over simplified. A lot of funds have a buy in with higher minimum cut offs. And taxes need to be figured in along the way, too. However, as foreign earned income for most teachers is not taxed 'at home', you'd only be paying tax on investment income and then re-investing the proceeds.
candy bar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
Totally cool when and if others post their reactions to anything written here. It's a chat board after all! We didn't go without growing up, but...

Believe me, we were NOT upper middle class. Folks leveraged everything to get us out of the city where they were both born and raised, and almost lost the house a few times over the years as a result, especially when my dad got laid off. My dad drove a car that had the floor boards rotted through, so we had to keep our feet on plywood so the gravel wouldn't fly up. Can't make this stuff up. One very happy day for the family is when they finally got a car that would start consistently in the winters.

But they built on what they had. Partially, they could concentrate on their retirement because all the kids were on the hook for their own educations and futures. No loans. No handouts. The only codicile was that you could live at home if, and only if, you were enrolled in school full time.

My dad's family was poor. Literally. He got booted from HS, went straight into the Marines, and then right into the factory after that. He always saw education as a key that opens doorways, and preferably a pathway away from a large blast forge. My mom was one generation away from that poor. She worked her way through college, marrying him just after graduating. He was a big proponent of marrying a smart woman.

At any rate, I'd say they were solidly middle class by the time we were in HS. As they earned more and had less overhead toward the ends of their careers, they then took it up a notch. They invested early and kept investing when and what they could, so the time value of money and an increase in property value took care of the rest.

But it's tough to shake old habits, so if you didn't have money coming up, it never gets easy to enjoy it when it's there. Funny, or ironic, but I see the same pattern repeating with my wife and I. Having lost my dad so early, though, I'm trying to get the better half to loosen the purse strings a bit and to smell the roses.

Your family was rich.

My family didn't even have a car. Dad rode a bicycle to work. The bike didn't have a seat or handlebars. He moonlighted after work at the circus doing a no hands no sitting trick on the bike act, $1 a night.
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So be it. It's all good.
candy bar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
So be it. It's all good.

It's good to read something positive.

I too came from a forge your own way background. The never spend more than you make mentality. I shoot for saving at least a million won each month.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why try to undersell it? You are being over villified by Candy, but still Pharmacist is a 80k+ a year job. GM factory worker while it was there was a 65k+. Sure, they started from nothing as you say, but you didn't. I don't describe my family economics as starting as some Romanian dude fleeing the break up of the AH Empire and hitching a boat ride. I start at Dad at a GM auto parts supplier and mom at various part time jobs.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point. Those factory jobs didn't pay 65K a year back then, and mom, while a pharmacist, was working part time at a mom-n-pop in the city while raising us. My dad passed away at the age of 62. Not trying to undersell, just saying that we were on the hook for our own education and our own lives.

Maybe mom was making 80K a year...after she was there working for the state for 10+ years, I was out of the Army, and all of us had finished our grad degrees lol. Still, because she worked, we didn't lose the house when dad got laid off and money got tight.

We appreciate everything they did for us, and, like I said, we didn't go without. What's that expression? Don't give them everything you wish you'd had, teach them everything you wish you'd known. That worked, at least from my perspective.

My brothers and I always worked, so we developed a work ethic and we were taught that the world doesn't owe you a living. We were taught to plan long term, and we were taught the (time) value of money and investing. We learned that decisions have ramifications down the line. The goal was always to invest in yourself so that you could reap some rewards later; the older you get, the less you want to work for the same, or optimistially more, money. Money means freedom and peace of mind, pure and simple. I still refuse to spend more than 10 or 20 bucks on a pair of pants, but I'll be dipped if we don't have enough coin working for us to retire when and where we want lol.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post PRagic.

I worked my way up paying for my education. I've put back and saved and invested for retirement.

I really am tired of hearing the millennials stomp their feet and cry about their financial situations. The solution is called, "get a job and save, and get a second job if needed," and yes this might require working weekends and more than 40 hours a week.
J.Q.A.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
Good post PRagic.

I worked my way up paying for my education. I've put back and saved and invested for retirement.

I really am tired of hearing the millennials stomp their feet and cry about their financial situations. The solution is called, "get a job and save, and get a second job if needed," and yes this might require working weekends and more than 40 hours a week.

Has that sort of started to become the norm?
tophatcat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Q.A. wrote:
tophatcat wrote:
Good post PRagic.

Has that sort of started to become the norm?

I have always had the thought that working 40 hours or less a week is a luxury. I don't mind working more and saving more.

I'm not sure what the norm is. I have friends who average more than 40 and often work 6, sometimes 7, days a week. I consider them financially successful.
J.Q.A.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tophatcat"][quote="J.Q.A."][quote="tophatcat"]Good post PRagic.

I really am tired of hearing the millennials stomp their feet and cry about their financial situations. The solution is called, "get a job and save, and get a second job if needed," and yes this might[b] require working weekends and more than 40 hours a week.[/b][/quote]

Has that sort of started to become the norm?[/quote]

I have always had the thought that working 40 hours or less a week is a luxury. I don't mind working more and saving more.

I'm not sure what the norm is. I have friends who average more than 40 and often work 6, sometimes 7, days a week. I consider them financially successful.[/quote]

Fair enough. However, I also know folks working two jobs...with horrid pay (because that's all that is available), struggling just to pay rent and make ends meet...WITH higher education.

I guess much depends on location.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as a person can pull in a little more than minimum wage, and a 50 hour week, things are manageable. The millennials have 1st world problems. They are waiting for handouts from others who have struggled their way into better situations.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked with and know some people here in Korea that complained about the job market here and back in their home countries. Yet, they would turn down or complain about summer and winter camp, extra hours, extra income, opportunities at their schools.
Kuros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god Tophatcat has come to explain how poverty, wage slavery, and financial struggles are all their own faults.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-we-will-always-blame-victim/

http://www.livescience.com/55333-why-people-blame-the-victim-according-to-science.html

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in-love-and-war/201311/why-do-we-blame-victims

Quote:
Victim blaming is not just about avoiding culpability—it's also about avoiding vulnerability. The more innocent a victim, the more threatening they are. Victims threaten our sense that the world is a safe and moral place, where good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people. When bad things happen to good people, it implies that no one is safe, that no matter how good we are, we too could be vulnerable. The idea that misfortune can be random, striking anyone at any time, is a terrifying thought, and yet we are faced every day with evidence that it may be true.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm for doing good for the poor, but… I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading them or driving them out of it. I observed… that the more public provisions made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."

Benjamin Franklin
tophatcat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poverty is real. That's why people need to work their way out of it.

No such thing as slave wages in developed countries. Make yourself worth more or work more.

Don't make me have to work 60 hours a week to supplement the lazy guy who doesn't want to put in a little overtime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: