Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the migration has started
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tophatcat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two close lady friends in America. Both left their husbands.

One of the friends left her husband because the husband needed to relocate because of a job transfer to support the family. He had no choice if he wanted to stay with the company. She said he was a wonderful guy but she didn't want to move. She became angry. She divorced him. He had to pay her a huge amount of money every month to support her and the 2 children.

The other friend left and finally divorced her husband. She also said her husband was a great guy, a wonderful father, and a great supporter of the family, 3 children. She said she simply outgrew the relationship, they didn't have much to talk about. The poor divorced husband was stuck with alimony and child support. She got the home and a new car in the divorce. She was in the process of trying to get 1/2 of his 401k/retirement. She said she felt like she deserved it. Although, the husband had always financially taken care of the family and had paid her way through university to obtain an MA. She was getting all this even though her salary was larger than her husband's salary.

This is often the real story contrary to the battered wife fabrication.

Don't let the feminist get away with the straw-man arguments.

Wink
J.Q.A.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:

One of the friends left her husband because the husband needed to relocate because of a job transfer to support the family. He had no choice if he wanted to stay with the company. She said he was a wonderful guy but she didn't want to move. She became angry. She divorced him. He had to pay her a huge amount of money every month to support her and the 2 children.

The other friend left and finally divorced her husband. She also said her husband was a great guy, a wonderful father, and a great supporter of the family, 3 children. She said she simply outgrew the relationship, they didn't have much to talk about. The poor divorced husband was stuck with alimony and child support. She got the home and a new car in the divorce. She was in the process of trying to get 1/2 of his 401k/retirement. She said she felt like she deserved it. Although, the husband had always financially taken care of the family and had paid her way through university to obtain an MA. She was getting all this even though her salary was larger than her husband's salary.

Wink

Unfotunately, this is all too common in the U.S., now.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:

Wink

Well, guys tend to be do-it-themselves-ers, so they are less likely to hire lawyers. As a result, women tend to be more emboldened and fare better in divorce proceedings.

Note: the above statement is offered not for its truth, but is simply meant as an equally plausible alternative to the host of anecdotes provided prior to it.
J.Q.A.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

Wink

Well, guys tend to be do-it-themselves-ers, so they are less likely to hire lawyers. As a result, women tend to be more emboldened and fare better in divorce proceedings.

Note: the above statement is offered not for its truth, but is simply meant as an equally plausible alternative to the host of anecdotes provided prior to it.

Basically, you are providing circular nonsense? As you infer and "equally plausible" gotcha statement, I have to assume you simply are going for the former.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Q.A. wrote:
Kuros wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

Wink

Basically, you are providing circular nonsense? As you infer and "equally plausible" gotcha statement, I have to assume you simply are going for the former.

Sure. The topic is circling the drain. You have correctly identified that I am just going with the flow.

Seriously, once you get to "what happened to my close friends dictates my view on the world" you have pretty much identified a kind of intellectual bankruptcy.
J.Q.A.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
J.Q.A. wrote:
Kuros wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

Wink

Sure. The topic is circling the drain. You have correctly identified that I am just going with the flow.

Seriously, once you get to "what happened to my close friends dictates my view on the world" you have pretty much identified a kind of intellectual bankruptcy.

If you were correct, I would agree with you.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
J.Q.A. wrote:
Kuros wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

Wink

What happened to my close friends doesn't dictate my view of the world but it does contribute to my view. This is far from intellectual bankruptcy.

I've noticed you like to make things up; build things up so you have something to knock down. Tacky, conning, and deceiving
Wink
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
Kuros wrote:
J.Q.A. wrote:
Kuros wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

Wink

What happened to my close friends doesn't dictate my view of the world but it does contribute to my view. This is far from intellectual bankruptcy.

I've noticed you like to make things up; build things up so you have something to knock down. Tacky, conning, and deceiving
Wink

Your two lady friends might be made up.

What are you claiming I have made up, exactly?

You present two anecdotes, and then say, "This is often the real story contrary to the battered wife fabrication." You're judging millions of battered wife allegations on the basis of two anecdotes. Which I will now assert may be made up.

*shrug*
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter whether those anecdotes are made up or not. If they are possible under the present legal system, something needs to change.
mysterious700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
creeper1 wrote:
Did you know that China now has more billionaires than America?

Out of 1,384,298,642 Chinese, 594 are billionaires.

Out of 324,852,920 Americans, 535 are billionaires.

There are only 1,397 billionaires in the entire world. It's extremely rare to meet one. On a per capita basis, you'd be four times as likely to run into one in the United States compared to in China.

Concerning millionaires, the U.S. has 15.7 million millionaires, while China has only 1.3 million millionaires.

The U.S. has way more wealth.

That's a pretty big wealth gap over there in China. A load of inequality.
mysterious700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goat wrote:
Trump campaigned to create jobs.

Hillary campaigned to create more handout programs.

We now know who the bums are. tophatcat is right.

Lazy people are afraid they might have to work more. That's what the anger and the protests have been about. The Generation Yers. The Generation of entitlement and narcism. They want things they haven't earned. They think they are special.

Some of those Millenials are approaching their mid 30's. While some are still in their 20's. Later group prob protesting. But the up and coming Generation Z are supposedly more conservative than many previous generations except the ww II generation.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/18/millennials-earn-8000-pounds-less-in-their-20s-than-predecessors

You think that proves people around the world are overall worse off?

First of all, that is just the U.K., a tiny country the size of Korea.

Next, 800 pounds a year isn't that much. Not a huge significant difference.

Most importantly though is figuring out how many hours millennials are working over the decade long period. If it is significantly less, then they're making more per hour.

What has been changing?

Compared to the past, more youngsters are enrolling and staying in undergrad and grad school (more staying in part due to grade inflation).

Look at eight years of working in one's twenties compared to ten. That's a loss of two years of salary and two years of career experience.

Yes, the liberal arts degree will pay off as a wise financial investment eventually, but it will take many years to recoup the cost.

As far as opportunities are concerned, they're really not all that worse off compared to before.

Studies show at least slightly less responsible / less hard working and more self centered though.

Possibly less intelligent, too:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4548943/British-teenagers-have-lower-IQs-than-their-counterparts-did-30-years-ago.html
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEP

good points @ World Traveler
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
On the other hand the average CEO in the US makes 13.8 million dollars a year (204 times the median salary). Would it really be so much of a burden if half of that went on paying for therapy for Tom's disabled kid and the CEO could manage to survive on 7 mil?

Grabbing half of the wealth of a rich guy who worked to earn it is a bad strategy.

In the redistribution process, much would be lost to costs (of the process of doing the redistribution), bureaucracy, or possibly stolen.

Raising taxes has the unintended consequence of driving top talent (extremely hard working, intelligent, wise, knowledgable folk) out of the country. They'll just go somewhere else where taxes are lower then everyone will suffer.

By they way, average CEO pay is only $220,700.

http://www.aei.org/publication/new-bls-data-show-that-for-all-chief-executives-the-average-ceo-to-average-worker-pay-ratio-is-less-than-5-to-1/

You're thinking of the top 500 CEOs in the country, the average of which is $12.2 mil.

500 people in a population of the United States isn't that much. One out of a million? Not quite, but almost.

Notice how there's not much anger towards professional athletes or actors making that much or more. Yet what do their roles contribute to the advancement of society? A lot less. (Little to nothing in my opinion.)

Why are the 1% getting richer? Because technology is improving. Take a look at cellphones and laptop computers. Great inventions that keep getting better.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
edwardcatflap wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/18/millennials-earn-8000-pounds-less-in-their-20s-than-predecessors

You think that proves people around the world are overall worse off?

First of all, that is just the U.K., a tiny country the size of Korea.

Next, 800 pounds a year isn't that much. Not a huge significant difference.

Most importantly though is figuring out how many hours millennials are working over the decade long period. If it is significantly less, then they're making more per hour.

What has been changing?

Compared to the past, more youngsters are enrolling and staying in undergrad and grad school (more staying in part due to grade inflation).

Look at eight years of working in one's twenties compared to ten. That's a loss of two years of salary and two years of career experience.

Yes, the liberal arts degree will pay off as a wise financial investment eventually, but it will take many years to recoup the cost.

As far as opportunities are concerned, they're really not all that worse off compared to before.

Studies show at least slightly less responsible / less hard working and more self centered though.

Possibly less intelligent, too:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4548943/British-teenagers-have-lower-IQs-than-their-counterparts-did-30-years-ago.html

You forgot to mention the huge increase in house prices and rent as a proportion of salaries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: