Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hwamyeong advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessime

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Hwamyeong advice please Reply with quote

Hey guys! I've been offered a position for CDI Hwamyeong and was wondering what Hwamyeong is like. I've tried to do a some research but haven't found too much (or otherwise very outdated information). Would love to find out more before making any decisions! Also if there's anything about the CDI Hwamyeong branch I can scavenge, sharing would be greatly appreciated!
denverdeath

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt cdi a place to avoid?

Anyway, if you're talking about the busan hwa-myeong, i've never lived there, but there's nothing wrong with that particular area of busan...a korean friend of mine lived there and i lived near gupo for a few years. Except if u want seo-myeon, ksu/bknu, haeundae, or other beaches as they are a lot of subway stops away. The best rink in the city is right near there, and deok-cheon has a lot of activity. You're on line 2 of the subway system there. Gupo stn's not far away if you want to get a train to daegu or wherever. Sa-sang (for buses or gim-hae is also connected with line 2 of the subway)..

Please do more research on cdi 1st, please.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every CDI is as different as their Boss. Hwamyeong's is among the coolest of about 8 that I know. The area is a bit outside of where most people live but if you like ice skating it is by far the best location and with subway transportation you are less than 30 minutes from Seomyeon, 50 Minutes from Gwangali and about 70 minutes from Haeundae.
jessime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverdeath wrote:
Isnt cdi a place to avoid?

Anyway, if you're talking about the busan hwa-myeong, i've never lived there, but there's nothing wrong with that particular area of busan...a korean friend of mine lived there and i lived near gupo for a few years. Except if u want seo-myeon, ksu/bknu, haeundae, or other beaches as they are a lot of subway stops away. The best rink in the city is right near there, and deok-cheon has a lot of activity. You're on line 2 of the subway system there. Gupo stn's not far away if you want to get a train to daegu or wherever. Sa-sang (for buses or gim-hae is also connected with line 2 of the subway)..

Please do more research on cdi 1st, please.

Hey denverdeath thanks for your reply (and concerns!). Yeah generally a lot of people say CDI is horrible, but I've actually managed to get a mixed bag of responses with a few people personally approaching me to tell me they're enjoying it. I figure it's worth giving a shot and trying to email teachers at each branch they offer before signing off on that contract. I'll take a look into Deok-Cheon, as preferably I want to be closer to the beach so there has to be something really great around HwaMyeong for me to end up there. Thanks for your help!
jessime

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coltronator wrote:
Every CDI is as different as their Boss. Hwamyeong's is among the coolest of about 8 that I know. The area is a bit outside of where most people live but if you like ice skating it is by far the best location and with subway transportation you are less than 30 minutes from Seomyeon, 50 Minutes from Gwangali and about 70 minutes from Haeundae.

When you say coolest I assume you mean the branch is good/decent? That's super reassuring! It's a bit far out, but the knowing the branch is alright is definitely helpful, thanks!
Coltronator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that is what I mean. Beach wise it is as far as you can get in Busan from the beaches but the Director is great.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, even the best thrower aint gonna get even close to even the worst beach in busan from hwamyeong is all i'm saying. Talk to other teachers at that location b4 signing is all I can say. PLEASE do!

I lived in that area for some time, and it ISN'T bad. Depends on ur school, the place where u live, and what u want.
VetruvianPenguin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work at CDI Hwamyeong. The area itself is very pleasant. It's away from the city center that is true, but it's got plenty of supermarkets including a lottemart in easy walking distance from anywhere in Hwamyeong. Nightlife exists, mostly restaurants but there are a few bars. There's also a CGV that's very easy to get to. There are at least 2 gyms, a jimjilbang and an archery range all in the center. A daiso has just been built about 10 mins walk from the subway station too.
The academy is nice enough. I never had any issues with late payment or disputes with the director. The staff I worked with were great fun, but from my understanding, there are fewer teachers there now than before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: