Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV Streaming + VPN?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willieaames

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Apple TV Streaming + VPN? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Sorry if its not the right place to ask. I am currently using vpn on my MacBook. However, I wish for the VPN to work on my Apple TV so I can use the American Netflix instead of the korean one without streaming my laptop to the Apple TV. Is this at all possible?

Edit: I`d google and this apple tv vpn guide helps me to setup vpn.

Last edited by willieaames on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
singerdude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use a VPN directly on an Apple TV. You can set up a VPN on a router then connect an ATV to that or set it up on your Mac and wirelessly connect the ATV using a hotspot.

The real problem however is Netflix. They are very aggressive at blocking commercial VPN IPs and practically every VPN service out there won't work. It's very difficult finding one that will work consistently. If you are from the US and have family there then you may be able to setup a private VPN and Netflix should work that way but I haven't yet tested it. I plan to in a few months. I'm going to try to set up a Raspberry Pi then send it to my family and ask them to hook it up. That's the cheapest way and there are tutorials online but you have to program the VPN yourself manually, which is not the easiest thing to do.

Up until 2016 I used to watch US Netflix but I eventually gave up watching it after many services were shut down throughout 2016. I'm watching the Korean version now until I can get my private VPN set up.
pghero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can testify to that as well. Netflix is extremely aggressive with their IP policies and how they handle them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: