Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips on learning Korean (apps and other helpful resources)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S3raph1m

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Tips on learning Korean (apps and other helpful resources) Reply with quote

Hey,

I've decided to learn as much Korean as possible while I'm here. I like learning languages and I'm enjoying the immersion experience. What do you guys do to learn Korean and do you have any practice tips for me? Or any useful apps, websites, etc. that have helped you learn?

I currently use Mango Languages, Drops, and will be using the Korean Duolingo course when that comes out in August. I also have a Korean tutor that I've been meeting once a week for a language exchange.

So, fancy apps? Practice tips? Good websites?
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always start with a formal class at a university or private hagwon.

Keep a notebook with you and scribble down words you pick up around you in every day life (e.g. on the subway or bus, walking around, in restaurants, etc...)

Watch Korean news, dramas, and movies, and, again, keep that notebook handy.

There are some excellent Korean grammar websites. Find and use them. They're all different, so you'll have to do the work to find the one that satisfies your immediate requirements.

And, finally, interact with Koreans who's sole purpose is not to learn English from you. Do a language exchange, even informally.

25 years here. I have a degree in Korean, but I'm still learning every day. Once you get a firm grip on the grammar (give that a couple of years), it's largely situational; the higher the level of the situation, the more specialized and difficult grammar needed.

Speak whenever you can, but don't be too bummed out when you get a lot of confused stares and 'ehs'? Part of the process.
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me second PRagic's first sentence. Start with a formal class at a university or private hagwon. Find the closest school with the easiest commute.

My Korean never took off, but my Chinese is passable. You need to just listen, listen, listen to someone talk. That is where dramas and movies come into the picture (news may be too difficult). Emphasize large blocs of time spent listening. The best way to do that is a formal class at the closest available classroom at the most convenient available time.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to enroll in the FREE Korean Social Integration program language classes that are provided by the government. Those are pretty good for learning how to pronounce the letters correctly. I started learning Korean on my own without someone teaching me how to pronounce letters exactly right, and now I'm paying for it. Definitely find some Korean friends or Korean people who don't want to just learn English from you.
S3raph1m

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Sorry, never noticed that I got any responses to this.

Is it normal for hagwons to offer private Korean lessons? Because I am going to try and find one that does nearby then. I was planning on trying to get in on a once or twice a week class at Pusan National University, if it doesn't conflict with my schedule.

I speak in public as often as I can (the Mango Languages app has been super helpful for this, since most of the phrases/vocabulary is survival Korean). I've been working on ordering food and talking in restaurants lately, and try to never use English when I'm eating out. I'd really like to take a formal class though. How would I go about finding a hagwon that teaches Korean? My hagwon doesn't offer that, but I live in Geoje and there are dozens of hagwons here just a few blocks from my apartment.
Drew345

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great phone app for learning vocabulary is AnkiDroid. It is a general flashcard app with some great lists for Korean. I loaded a list called "Korean Vocab by Evita" and it has about 5000 words starting with "네, 있다 , 학교..." and moving up harder and harder. I recommend it for anyone who wants to up their vocabulary. If you are experienced you can just delete the first 500 or 1000 words.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: