Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with faulty Danawa PC - Possible to return it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimskins

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Help with faulty Danawa PC - Possible to return it? Reply with quote

About a year ago I bought a desktop pc from danawa (just the tower). I rarely change my pc so wanted to buy a higher spec one to last me a good 6-7 years. I use it for work and light gaming. I paid about 1.5 mil just over a year ago: Intel 6700, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB.

I play Battlefield 1 about 30 mins every other day. About two weeks ago it started freezing mid-game (after about 5-10 mins play), making this awful buzzing noise, and unresponsive, couldn't use ctrl+ alt+ dlt, had to turn it off at the mains. Then it would keep trying to boot and turning itself off. If I left it off (I guess to cool down) for 15 mins or so it went back to normal. I tried another game, Farcry 4, and it did the same crash (after a longer time).

I called Danawa (they provide 2 years free service) and their response was, Battlefield 1 is a demanding game, lots of other people have this problem, there's no real explanation. They suggested stuff like reinstalling windows, and did this and went through all the advice online related to the game to make sure it's not a software problem or too high game settings etc. I don't know much about computers but my instinct was that it was a hardware problem, something was getting too hot and shutting down (probably the graphics card).

Eventually they came and took it away, commenting that the graphics card did feel very hot after i showed them a five minute crash, but they warned that it was possible that they might find absolutely nothing wrong with it. They've had it a few days, and, surprise surprise, they said that there's nothing wrong with it.

I just think that this is unacceptable, if I wasn't using it to play games, the pc would have cost less than half the price; and I've only had it 14 months. My last pc lasted 8 years before it died. I'm wondering what action to take next. Should I demand that they refund / change the pc or at least the graphics card; or take it to an independent pc repair shop to get their opinion, or possibly do the latter first before going back to Danawa, to have a bit of ammunition?

Sorry for the long post, but I figured anyone with any clue about what to do would need the detail. I would also appreciate it if anyone had any suggestions about how I can fix it myself (perhaps a power upgrade?). It's the first time I've bought what I consider a nice pc and it's really frustrating.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When u say "power upgrade", do you mean the com has a faulty power supply? If so, could be an issue. If u bought it from a reputable(?) korean company, they shouldve ensured the power supply was adaquate. What I rec, for starters, is power down. COMPLETELY. Remove plug/power. Open the tower. Remove and replace everything SNUGLY...ram card(s), video card, battery on mainboard. Check other connections. Power up again. See what happens. Repost.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a defective video card with an intermittent heat or V-RAM problem.

If you have the ability to... remove the video card and use the on-board video to use the computer and see if you still get the shutdown problem when you run the computer. If not then it is likely the video card.

If you still get the problem then it may be the CPU overheating (make sure the heatsink is firmly connected to the CPU (not loose) and/or upgrade the heatsink).

Failing that it may be (less likely) that you have a RAM stick that has a defective chip on it.

The whole process of trouble shooting will be by trial and error since it is not an obvious problem.

I would suggest that being under-powered is not likely the issue (if your PS is over 550 watts) so a power upgrade likely won't help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: