Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mental health & work visas - anything I'm missing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenleaves

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Mental health & work visas - anything I'm missing? Reply with quote

I am aware that a significant number of posts have been made in the past regarding mental health issues and gaining a work visa for South Korea. I have read through these thoroughly, and essentially what I’m trying to understand is – “is there anything I’m missing?” I would really appreciate people reading through the following list of statements, which according to many other posts appear to be true, and telling me if there are any other risks I should be considering:

1. On the visa form, you should state that you aren’t currently suffering, nor have ever suffered from, any form of mental illness. If you say “no”, this is not something that can be investigated any further by immigration.
2. You can bring medication into the country and customs will be extremely unlikely to ask to search your bag. Even if they do and find your medication, they will not make any connection between your visa and antidepressant medication and will wave you on.
3. During the mandatory health test, you can simply stop taking your antidepressant medication briefly beforehand and it will go undetected (and/or in many cases the medication will go undetected even if it is in your system).
4. It is very easy to find doctors who will prescribe you with antidepressants once in country. As long as you don’t give them your work contact details there is no chance that this information will make its way back to your employer. Alternatively, going to international clinics where they have a more Western approach to medicine, you can be assured that they would not go out of their way to breach your privacy anyhow.

Again, please let me know if you either disagree with any of the above statements and/or if there are any other risks/factors I should be taking into consideration.

Lastly, just a quick question – it sounds quite easy to find doctors in Seoul who will prescribe you will antidepressant medication, but can anybody tell me how easy it is to do in Busan?

Many thanks in advance.
PRagic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about antidepressants, but for the meds I need (cholesterol, blood pressure...yeah, I'm old), I just make sure I have my prescription. I just tuck the prescription in with the meds in a zip lock. Never had an issue leaving or entering.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has depression and anxiety issues and has been in Korea for 14 years, I can provide you some help with your questions. See below:

1. On the visa form, you should state that you aren’t currently suffering, nor have ever suffered from, any form of mental illness. If you say “no”, this is not something that can be investigated any further by immigration.

While it is technically you are lying, the chances of immigration investigating it are slim to none. The only way anyone will know is if you tell them. So my advice is tell no one.

2. You can bring medication into the country and customs will be extremely unlikely to ask to search your bag. Even if they do and find your medication, they will not make any connection between your visa and antidepressant medication and will wave you on.

I've gone in and out of the country with medication in the past and had no problem. What they are looking for is illegal drugs. It wouldn't hurt to have the doctor's prescription or a note from your doctor with it, but it isn't necessary.

3. During the mandatory health test, you can simply stop taking your antidepressant medication briefly beforehand and it will go undetected (and/or in many cases the medication will go undetected even if it is in your system).

Antidepressants don't show up in the medical exam. Don't stop taking your medication since that is your lifeline.

4. It is very easy to find doctors who will prescribe you with antidepressants once in country. As long as you don’t give them your work contact details there is no chance that this information will make its way back to your employer. Alternatively, going to international clinics where they have a more Western approach to medicine, you can be assured that they would not go out of their way to breach your privacy anyhow.

It is fairly easy to find a psychiatrist, but finding one who speaks English in your area might be difficult. It really depends on where you live. In the areas that are foreign centric there are many more doctors who speak English than others. There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum that has a list of psychiatrists that may be helpful. By the way, Korean Health Insurance should cover at least some of the cost so make sure your employer signs you up.

I have had quite a few doctors in Korea and never had a problem with privacy. People may say don't tell them, but the doctors want to know about you so they can help you. I just visited a new doctor in a city I'm moving to next year and was asked. I did hesitate, but told him. It really is your call.

You may come across people on this board that will tell you not to move to Korea. My best advice is to ignore them. Only you can make the decision whether or not you think you will be able to adapt. I honestly would have bet against myself making it this long in a foreign country, but then again we can surprise even ourselves.

If you haven't yet gotten a job, consider moving to Bucheon. I'm currently living in Bucheon, but will be leaving in February for another city after living here for 7 years. I can give you the name of a great doctor who speaks English and is excellent at listening to you and giving advice. His practice is quite busy though and sometimes I end up waiting 2-3 hours to see him (I usually avoid this by showing up at 9:30 am on a weekday, which is an hour before he gets in and being the first or second person in line). Send me a PM and I can give you his name and explain how to get to his office.

Good luck,

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: