Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer Work - C4?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jellobean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Summer Work - C4? Reply with quote

I worked and lived in Korea for many years before I was married, but I know many things have changed in the decade since I left. I am looking to come to Korea for the summer so my daughter can attend summer camp at a Chinese school. From what I have determined, I need either a work or student visa for myself in order to bring her. (It is easier to bring her as me dependant than get her a student visa because I have to get one for me no matter what.)

If I must, I don't mind taking Korean, and I still have sufficient funds in a Korean account to show self-support so the student route is simple. However, I am pretty burned out from classes already this term so would rather work.

Here is my issue. I will have a young child to care for so can't take some crazy camp job. I really am not concerned about how much I make as long as my hourly rate is commiserate with my experience. I don't need housing, airfare, etc. I lived in Korea long enough I can take care of all that. I pretty much just need enough work to get the visa.

I have a JD from a top 10 school in the US, as well as an MA in Education. I was teaching at a uni when I left, but taught everything from kindi on up while I was there. Ideally, I would love to find a hagwon where I could teach a few TOEFL Prep classes or academic writing. I know that's a long shot, so I am pretty much okay with anything tolerable (i.e. students who want to learn, not babysitting). Location is probably going to be more important anyway because of her school. I do have to work on reading with my daughter so another thought I had was finding somewhere she could be part of my class while I teach what I would teach her anyway since she has excelent verbal skills and is really outgoing. She has a lot of experience interacting with non-English speakers and isn't phased if "friends" don't really speak English.

I know that 15 hours per week used to be the minimum for an E2, but I don't have any experience with C4 visas, though I know the tax rate is higher. I plan to come to Seoul some time in the spring to set up school for her.

Thoughts?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C4 is the same as an E2 except for a shorter duration.
YOu still have to jump through the same hoops.

Depending on where you are from you may be able to fly by on a tourist no-visa entry since your plan is short term and a C4 is 90 days as is the tourist entry.

jellobean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am going to end up going the student route. I have a couple of non-related issues that make that the better option this time around. Downside is I will have to deal with my daughter for her own visa or just put her on a tourist if I can enroll her in a camp on a tourist visa.

Any ideas how to access money in my Korean bank accounts if I don't have online set up and I am not in Korea. I am going to need it to pay the upfront tuition for a language program at a uni.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: