Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Housing Allowance Not Being Paid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaticanhotline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Housing Allowance Not Being Paid Reply with quote

(Deleted)

Last edited by vaticanhotline on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the relevant text from the contract?
vaticanhotline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[repost]

Last edited by vaticanhotline on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vaticanhotline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Deleted)

Last edited by vaticanhotline on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:51 am; edited 2 times in total
thrylos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a similar situation. We were told once we buy an apartment, we lose any housing stipend. Argument was that the housing clause is 'temporary' help until either a) professors decide to stay long-term and settle down or b) professors move on. It is not a permanent benefit, just a stop-gap for 5 years max. If you do end up with other info, please pass it on!
vaticanhotline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Deleted)

Last edited by vaticanhotline on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Otus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once applied to one reasonably well known university in Seoul. In the preliminary interview I asked about the salary and mentioned that I already had Chonsae on an apartment and inquired as to whether that had any affect on the housing allowance.

"Well", said the woman, "I guess that means you won't be entitled to any housing allowance."

Me: "Thank you. Have a good afternoon."

[Honestly, in some cases they never used to think that one through properly.]
vaticanhotline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last place we lived was Cheonsae. We would have stayed if it wasn’t for the mold and the fact that we have children. The housing was never a problem before that, and I’ve been at this university a couple of years.
Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]I work at a university out in the sticks, and my wife and I have been renting the last couple of years. This year (after discovering a mold infestation that our landlord didn’t care about), we decided to go ahead and buy an apartment.

Now the admin is telling me that I’m not eligible for housing because I’m not renting. Apparently the contract only allows for living in the dormitory or renting, so they’re going to make me take what’s effectively a pay cut. Do I have any options besides quitting?
Quote:

Sell your apartment and rent again?

I'm surprised EPIK doesn't introduce this. There must be a reasonable number of foreigners here, married to Koreans with their own (owned) apartments now.

It's not a 'pay cut' in the sense that this isn't 'earned' income. It's a benefit that you're no longer entitled to.

vaticanhotline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Deleted)

Last edited by vaticanhotline on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What’s the reasoning behind “no longer entitled”, though? If I buy my own home, I no longer have to pay any money for my accommodation?

I might add that neither I, nor anyone else, was ever made aware that getting married and trying to do right by my children would mean that we would be effectively penalised.

Not if you don't have a mortgage, no.

You say you're at a 'uni in the sticks,' well most of these universities are on their knees, struggling to survive. They are, or will be cost cutting to survive.

You are low hanging fruit. Lots of universities no longer offer housing, or a 'housing allowance'.

on the + side, you have a F VISA, you have that freedom that others don't.
vaticanhotline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Deleted)

Last edited by vaticanhotline on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Chia Pet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
You say you're at a 'uni in the sticks,' well most of these universities are on their knees, struggling to survive. They are, or will be cost cutting to survive.

You are low hanging fruit. Lots of universities no longer offer housing, or a 'housing allowance'.

on the + side, you have a F VISA, you have that freedom that others don't.

Stop rationalizing for the university. Any university or organization that would pull this deserves to go out of business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: