Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Older teacher wants to return to Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nelson Bennett

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Older teacher wants to return to Korea Reply with quote

Twenty years ago I spent a year in Seoul teaching at an ECC school. I am now 59 and I am really getting itchy feet. I am thinking, in a year or two maybe, of taking early retirement to go traveling, or maybe try to go back to Korea to teach again for a year, save up some money and then go traveling.

But I know there is ageism in Korean hagwons. I have a bachelor's degree in English Literature, teaching experience, and I have spent my whole career as a writer and editor for newspapers and magazines, but I know that my 20-year-old son, who is studying kinesiology, would probably get a job in Korea more easily than I would, because he's young and blond and good looking.

But the fact I have spent nearly a decade now writing for a business magazine should count for something, shouldn't it?

So here's the question: Do any of the bigger academies, like YBM, have a business English division where I might have more luck getting a job teaching business English to adults? Or, better still, editing and proofreading? I really have no interest in teaching little kids. I would rather teach adults, preferably businessmen and women.

I know I could probably fly there and try to get a job when I get there, but I really like the benefits and security of a contract that the bigger companies offer: airfare, apartment, guaranteed work for a year.

Am I too old for Korea?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you're too old. Go for it! It's all about delivery. If you can convince them that you have what it takes someone will hire you. And you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: