Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English to Korean translators horrible pay
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billybrobby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought translation would be this interesting mental excercise. And occasionally it is. But often it's just mental burger-flipping. You flip it from Korean to English. No need to use higher mental faculties, much less creativity. But other times it really is interesting stuff.
ghostrider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:
For Korean to English I've always charged 30000 a page, or 5000 for proofreading, but I can see why the reverse pays so low.

I wonder how this compares to current rates.
faeriehazel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story about "Woori James" makes me angry. I am not a professional translator, but I've done a lot of freelance work. Nothing pisses me off more than acquaintances trying to get me to do them "a favor." They say things like "oh, you're bilingual so it should be easy." Um, no, translating stuff properly is a pain in the arse regardless of your fluency in either language. A lot of places I've worked at have also tried to foist translating work upon me even though it's not in my job description. One co-worker tried to get me to agree to edit his work for almost nothing - he brazenly told me that he liked asking acquaintances to edit for him because that way he can "get it for cheap."
Yaya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done that much translation, but Korean-to-English pays considerably better than the other way around. That said, if you are good, you can make money as more non-Korean expats who are native speakers of English have gotten into the act.

Then you have to factor in the time, patience and meticulousness needed to do translation. If you are a self-starter and can work independently, this is a good job.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostrider wrote:
mithridates wrote:
For Korean to English I've always charged 30000 a page, or 5000 for proofreading, but I can see why the reverse pays so low.

I wonder how this compares to current rates.

I know you necro'd a 10 year old thread, but the rates are pretty similar.

It's really hard to find someone who can translate from Korean to English well.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulNate wrote:

In that case, it's pretty bad then. Adjusted for inflation, there has been quite a decline in payment. 30,000 won was worth a lot more back then.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
SeoulNate wrote:

In that case, it's pretty bad then. Adjusted for inflation, there has been quite a decline in payment. 30,000 won was worth a lot more back then.

I dunno,

30k per page seems pretty good if you can translate at a decent clip. That's for freelance work as well, if you take it to a company expect to pay a lot more than that.

From my (limited) experience with it, the cost totally depends on what you are asking them to translate as well. This goes both ways, not just Korean to English.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's even that easy to make 30k a page anymore.

I met a Westerner who got TOPIK level 6 (the only one I have ever met who scored that high). He says he makes 20,000-25,000 won per hour from the English to Korean translation work he does. That's shockingly low.

But how much would you say the going rate is these days?

I've heard slightly less than teaching English (from multiple sources). What figure would you throw out (per hour)?
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English -> Korean != Korean -> English

... also, your foreign friend would find a much bigger market, and could command a higher price for Korean -> English if he is a native speaker of English, we are in Korea after all.

Usually the demand for translators is for native speakers of the language in demand (English) who can translate from their second language (in this case Korean) not the other way.

This is most likely simply because it is far easier to understand a colloquialism or nuance of grammar in your second language and explain it in your first language than it is to go the other way.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know. The Westerner's native tongue was English. He was translating out of Korean into English. I've also met Korean Americans who have done translating work lately. The pay really isn't that great anymore (but I guess that depends on how you define 'great').
steve-o

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that consistency is hard to come by in those language pairs. There have been a few translators who do great work for a few pages, but fade down the stretch.

Here are some tips for Korean translation for those who are interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: