Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Search of Guitar Inspiration..........
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baldrick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: In Search of Guitar Inspiration.......... Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest some stuff to play on the guitar? I'm hacking out the same tunes day in day out, and sort of run out of inspiration. What I'm looking for is some tunes that are recognisable and sound good on an acoustic. Could be anything from a famous Elvis song to a classical piece. I suppose what I'm saying is can the gutarists out there post their favourite tunes to play..........or the chords if its a simple one.
I can start - my current projects include:
Classical Gas - Eric Clapton
Classical Version of Bohemian Rhapsody
Moonlight Sonata and Canon in D.
Perfect Day - Lou Reed.
Honeybee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cavatina from the Deer Hunter is my fav to play,

The original arrangement by John Williams is a bit of a stretch, but it can be played a few easier ways which doesn't change the sound much,
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. Ever try "Pinball Wizard" ???
Harpeau

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin's Woodpile & Creation Dream by Bruce Cockburn

Faitytale of New York by the Pogues
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you know how to finger pick so, "Blackbird" by the Beatles is a winner. Always brings the house down, especially the chicks ... Very Happy
Hyalucent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything by the Kingston Trio.
jazblanc77

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:
Sounds like you know how to finger pick so, "Blackbird" by the Beatles is a winner. Always brings the house down, especially the chicks ... Very Happy

I wish I could play that... I have wanted to for a long time now, but my finger picking really sucks! AISH!

Along the same lines, Yesterday is a really nice song to play... if you are good enough.

Simple songs that I like to play are 'Another Lonely Day', Ben Harper, 'Trouble', Cat Stevens, 'Good Riddance (Time of your life)', Greenday, 'Wild Wood', Paul Weller, 'Porcelain', Moby, 'Losing My Religion', REM, 'Ironic', Alanis Morissette, 'Faith', George Michael, 'Famous Blue Raincoat', Leonard Cohen, 'Fast Car', Tracy Chapman, 'Troubled Fields', Sarah Harmer, 'and Juliet', Dire Straits.

These are few that I play. If you want to find lyrics and tabs, all of these are on http://music.mysic.com/ (only use this site with IE as it has a sidebar which doesn't load properly in Mozilla).
Dr.Caligari

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

__

Last edited by Dr.Caligari on Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were thinking instrumental "show off" type stuff. If you mean SONGS to play and sing, damn, there are hundreds dude! Take your pick, most classic well known songs are pretty simple as far as chords go. To make it sound good to don't need to do anything fancy, just get rock solid in time, which can be done by hours and hours of playing along with a metronome, about 4 hours a day for 5 years should do it ... Very Happy

PS Bob Marley songs are a winner on guitar if you can sing along too ...
keithinkorea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few suggestions for nice little tunes to play. 'Little Wing' and 'The Wind Cries Mary' by Hendrix are great little tunes. 'Tears in Heaven' by Clapton is a nice little simple tune. Any tune by the genius Pierre Bensusan is great, though some of them are really tricky, DADGAD tuning is great fun for plonking around.

Bouree in E minor by Bach is a great little tune. A lot of Beatles stuff is great for playing on the guitar, 'Something', 'Blackbird' as mentioned, 'Let It Be'. Too many great Beatles tunes to mention.

I like to use alternate tunings a lot and there are some great little Irish reels and things that you can play in DADGAD tuning. I cant remember the name of the book I bought a few years ago but it is a great introduction to using DADGAD and playing Irish music.
discostar23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try Embryonic Journey by Jefferson Airplane.

Though its kinda gay try power of two by the indigo girls.

I agree pinball wizard is a fun song to play (first song I really learned on guitar)

Wish my cheap crappy guitar worked god I miss playing Crying or Very sad
manlyboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For classical stuff, you cannot go wrong with Leo Brouwer's 20 "Etudes Simples". Short, simple, and sound great. Whenever someone puts me on the spot and asks me to play something for them, I usually go for one of those. I think they're practically mandatory in most first year classical guitar courses.
Also one of my personal faves is "Popular Classics of the Great Composers" by Jason Waldron (in 6 volumes). Any great classical work you can think of transcribed for solo guitar! With an accompanying C.D!
khyber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All the Diamonds" Bruce Cockburn
"Blackbird" Beatles
I think it's "Largo" by Vivaldi. Super nice and easy piece i figger
uberscheisse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"foxglove" off bruce cockburn's first record is my fingerpickin' project of the last two years. open C folk workout. lots of fun.

OKAY THE SWEAR FILTER HAS GONE TOO FAR!!!

BRUCE C O C K B U R N

and it's not burnt genitalia i'm talking about, it's just the dude's name. chill.
jaebea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice tunes to play down on the acoustic, pardon for not being as esoteric as some of the choices here, but these will be mainly recognisable... :)

Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven sounds great while being very easy to play. Highly recommended early on as it's great motivation :)

Richard Marx - Now and forever
Extreme - More than words
Metallica - Nothing else matters
RHCP - Soul to squeeze
3 Doors Down - Here without you
Goo Goo Dolls - Iris. This one requires some arsey tuning, and doesn't sound right without a banjo, or the right strings. Worth a shot, especially if you can sing along with it, as it's one of my faves.. :)
Incubus - Drive
Michelle Branch - Everywhere
Puddle of Mudd - Blurry (grab the acoustic version, tuned down). This is great practise for your harmonics, and sounds great if you have a buddy to play with. Ambitious, but get it down, and it's a lot of fun.
Sheryl Crowe - Strong enough
Jack Johnson - Flake
Seether f. Amy Lee - Broken. New single from the Punisher movie. The movie is crap, but this song is great to play.

Hope you liked these choices. Not sure if they're your cup of tea as they're comparatively commercial.

jae.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: