Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Get a Korean Credit Card
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mishlert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: How to Get a Korean Credit Card Reply with quote

I just got a Samsung Amex card, and it's valid till 2008.
When I was called to verify information I asked the woman about foreigners getting credit cards in Korea, and she told me the following for getting a Samsung card:

1) An applicant must make 1.2 mil a month.
2) When applying bring alien reg. card, and bank book.
3) Hogwon teachers must show proof of salary from the school
4) University teachers need not worry about proof as the bank book is sufficent; the company sees a uni job as more stable.
5) In both cases the schools will be called, so have the number when applying.

In Korea when you use your charge card you can spread out the payments up to 6 month, depending on the store.

For more information you can call Samsung Card directly at 02 2197 8706.
Don't worry, whoever answers the phone at that number speaks English.

Last edited by mishlert on Sat Sep 06, 2003 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Lemon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mishlert - Thanks for this. It's one of those topics that's full of rumour and hearsay. Your post is really helpful.

I'd consider following your directions myself, but I use my wife's Korean Airlines/Mastercard most of the time (though it's in danger of melting from overuse) and my own Canadian cards when I need to.

Is AMEX accepted in as many places as Visa and MC?
mishlert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a Samsung card sign in Daegu while walking around. and I walked in and asked to apply. Also, I have seen tables set up in malls, shopping centers, etc., for people to apply for a credit card. When you see one, ask if it's for Samsung.
Hope this helps.

Lemon, In Korea it seems that all credit cards are accepted, and though I have a Visa card from the states I like the idea of spreading out the payments, and getting discounts for movies, restaurants, and other things when charging with a Korean credit card.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been with Kookmin bank for many years and they've been totally unaccomodating. They've always said no to the thought of giving me a credit card.

But today, I'm at a different university (since March 1st) and they have a direct deal between themselves and Jae-il bank. A few weeks ago, I got a new bank account and today I went in to Jae-il Bank and asked about getting a VISA credit card. They said no problem. I needed lots of paperwork (my pay stub for last month, contract, document proving that I'm presently working at the said university, my Alien card, a photocopy of my passport and my bank account info.

We'll (my wife and I)l be getting my new VISA early next week. Also, my wife is going to open up her own account so we can use it for Internet banking. Apparently, she'll be able to wire money via the Internet (this I've got to see to believe).

Next week, once we get our VISA's I'm going to see the top dog at my local Kookmin Bank to explain why I'm closing my account is becuse they are not foreigner friendly. I hope that the feedback might help others.

Anyway, I consider it a minor victory.

Play hard,
Harpeau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
The Lemon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Next week, once we get our VISA's I'm going to see the top dog at my local Kookmin Bank to explain why I'm closing my account is becuse they are not foreigner friendly. I hope that the feedback might help others.

Last year my wife, who is Korean and was also teaching at the time, applied for a Shinsaegae department store card here in Kwangju. She was rejected because her husband (me) is a foreigner on an E-2 visa, and thus determined to be a credit risk. Considering how Korean credit card companies issue cards to most Koreans like they're AOL installation CDs, it was surprising that she'd be turned down for that reason.

It was also annoying because we're both very strict pay-off-the-balance-monthly people. Again, not foreigner-friendly.
mishlert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update
I just got my second Samsung Card; it's an international Any Pass Visa.
It's called Any Pass because it's a credit card/ transportation card (Seoul only).
SuperHero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else besides mishlert done this? I'm very interested, but will wait until March when i start my new job.
slap it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: samsung anypass card Reply with quote

i got a samsung card as well. i had to show them my bank book and ARC card. my samsung card is a visa international. very convenient.
SweetLou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this still possible/relevant? in other threads, it seems as if these are limited to those teaching at universities.

what about teachers at international schools?
teachers at hagwons?
pest2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: How to Get a Korean Credit Card Reply with quote

[quote="mishlert"]I just got a Samsung Amex card, and it's valid till 2008.
quote]

Its a great idea to get a credit card in Korea. You can use it to get the cheaper cell phone plan there and you can get your school to pay directly to your acct and then i think it can be like a debit card with overdraft protection in some cases.. really nice if you're too lazy to balance your checkbook...

Thanx for this information!!
krats1976

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so does anyone know where I apply for one of these? I'm in Gwangju...
krats1976

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Get a Korean Credit Card Reply with quote

mishlert wrote:

For more information you can call Samsung Card directly at 02 2197 8706.
Don't worry, whoever answers the phone at that number speaks English.

I realize this post is old, but I tried this number and it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone know how I can get ahold of the Samsung Card people?
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a credit card through KEB a few weeks ago. I needed to put some collateral first though but I figure it's just an enforced savings scheme.
tzechuk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylemongirl wrote:
I got a credit card through KEB a few weeks ago. I needed to put some collateral first though but I figure it's just an enforced savings scheme.

Which one did you get? They've got an expat card and I am thinking of getting one of those..
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tzechuk wrote:
crazylemongirl wrote:

Which one did you get? They've got an expat card and I am thinking of getting one of those..

I think it was the one for expats. Your limit depends on how much you put down as collateral. Works fine overseas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: