Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Do You Canadians In Korea Think of The Recent Election?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: What Do You Canadians In Korea Think of The Recent Election? Reply with quote

I'm from the U.K. so before coming to Korea I hadn't met many Canadians. After I came to Korea, I met a few. So I am now somewhat more aware of what happens in your country.

When I read about the Federal Election, I was surprised. The change from Mr. Harper seems quite dramatic. The polls swung so violently, that it seems super-dramatic. Justin Trudeau may or may not succeed. But his plan to increase taxes on the rich and decrease them for the middle class was not an option for us-even to help pay for the deficit; even as a means to get the banksters to pay for the vast sums of public money they were granted.

What do you people think of Justin Trudeau? Why do you think Stephen Harper lost the election? Was this a good or bad thing? To me it feels significant. But when I saw him, Mr. Trudeau reminded me of Tony Blair. Blair had plenty of charisma but seemed to stand for very little. I would be interested to read your opinions, anyway. .
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT got elected on 'star' power. Previously he was only known for two things. 1. Being the son of a former prime minister. 2. Constantly gaffe-prone.

I think it's going to prove to be a disaster for the country...unless his handlers keep this guy on a tight leash.

http://o.canada.com/news/national/justin-trudeaus-gaffes-getting-harder-to-ignore
Coltronator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Liberal Majority was a surprise from the perspective of August. It is not a happy surprise nor a horrible one. Worst case scenario now is that we get 5 years of Liberal Power Player Centre/Centre Right administration. Which is a pretty good worst case as the Chretien years were very good. Best case the Liberal swerve to the left during the campaign and the promises made are kept by the new power handed to PM Trudeau. In that case we could have a firm Centre Left admin.

All in all my rating of the outcome is a 7/10

Last edited by Coltronator on Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
catman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Harper is gone but I would have preferred a minority government.

Hoping he pulls all Canadian forces out of the Middle East.
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Yes it seems there is potential for optimism here. In the United Kingdom, the main momentum is from the right, and this has been the case since the 1980's. Tony Blair made some changes, but did not challenge the economic and political developments of the 1980's. So when the Tories got back in, they went further to the right. One consequence of Tory cuts was the very sudden rise in food banks in the U.K. Charities now feed people-including children-who would otherwise be hungry or malnourished. And now the government has the right to store and spy on all our e-mails and look at all the websites we've searched.
They are talking about cutting TOP taxes for the rich to 30%.
Canada seemed to be on the same path we are on, politically. So Mr. Trudeau's win seemed miraculous, especially because he was promising to tax the wealthy. . Or at least it would be miraculous in the U.K. or the United States, or Korea.
northway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:

I work at the UN and I speaking with my Canadian colleagues on Wednesday, they said that they had already been given orders to tone things down and take a more moderate, conciliatory tone along with a lot more leeway to offer soft support (the more traditional Canadian way). This after a single day in office. I don't expect any more Canadian adventures abroad.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
catman wrote:

I work at the UN and I speaking with my Canadian colleagues on Wednesday, they said that they had already been given orders to tone things down and take a more moderate, conciliatory tone along with a lot more leeway to offer soft support (the more traditional Canadian way). This after a single day in office. I don't expect any more Canadian adventures abroad.

Unless of course JT decides to honor NATO obligations. And secondly like it or not we may be forced to.

Quote:
The year 2002 stands out as a distinctly rougher patch, with arguably much higher stakes than today. The prime minister at the time, Jean Chrétien, refused to send Canadian troops to Iraq, calling the U.S. invasion illegitimate. His then director of communications, Françoise Ducros, inflamed already-tense relations when she was overheard at a NATO summit in Prague calling U.S. President George W. Bush a “moron.”

That same year, the United States slapped punitive duties on shipments of Canadian softwood lumber. The two sides would call a truce in 2006, but the Canadian industry lost out on some of the best years of the U.S. housing boom.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/the-us-isnt-out-to-hurt-canada-were-just-too-small-to-worry-about/article19479671/

That was just a taste of what the US could do to us. And the Iraq war was not strictly speaking, a NATO war (they didn't attack one of us first) hence not a breach of the treaty.

But should a member of the alliance be attacked, Canada would be expected (as a member) to do her share.
northway

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
northway wrote:
catman wrote:

Unless of course JT decides to honor NATO obligations. And secondly like it or not we may be forced to.

Quote:
The year 2002 stands out as a distinctly rougher patch, with arguably much higher stakes than today. The prime minister at the time, Jean Chrétien, refused to send Canadian troops to Iraq, calling the U.S. invasion illegitimate. His then director of communications, Françoise Ducros, inflamed already-tense relations when she was overheard at a NATO summit in Prague calling U.S. President George W. Bush a “moron.”

That same year, the United States slapped punitive duties on shipments of Canadian softwood lumber. The two sides would call a truce in 2006, but the Canadian industry lost out on some of the best years of the U.S. housing boom.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/the-us-isnt-out-to-hurt-canada-were-just-too-small-to-worry-about/article19479671/

That was just a taste of what the US could do to us. And the Iraq war was not strictly speaking, a NATO war (they didn't attack one of us first) hence not a breach of the treaty.

But should a member of the alliance be attacked, Canada would be expected (as a member) to do her share.

Indeed, and there are very real concerns regarding Russia making moves to protect Russian minorities in Latvia and Estonia. I thought about using protect in quotes here, but until very recently they did have it kind of crappy. Thanks to international pressure and Russian saber rattling both countries have normalized the situation for the previously stateless Russians within their borders, but Russia is still being belligerent on the issue. In any case, the Obama administration is unlikely to jump into any war on the level that the Bush administration did in Iraq and Afghanistan, and even less likely to engage in dirty backroom dealings to try to strong-arm Canada into participating (not because they're any more ethical, but because it simply doesn't make a whole lot of sense for them to do so).
mithridates

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone thinking of taking a Korean wife or husband to Canada: the Liberals campaigned on giving permanent residency immediately to those married to a Canadian (instead of 2+ years). They're busy with getting 25,000 Syrians to Canada first though so they're a bit swamped at the moment, probably will take longer than they promised.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: