Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptops in Korea: Questions Answered
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Callan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I should update this in case it will help anyone else. I had the laptop shipped and I managed to avoid a customs charge. The UPS lady asked for some documents (copy of my visa and a confirmation of employment) and we stated that the computer was a used machine that I required for work. This did the trick and I now have my machine.
My suggestion is to have the machine sent to a relative, have them open it and fire it up to test it, then declare it a necessity for work and go through the steps they require.
I paid a few hundred to have it shipped, but I now have a machine that will have over two years of warranty left on it when I get back to Canada.
sonshine20

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a laptop with a one-piece cord? Do I just buy an entirely new cord there?

Sonshine
Mastaoos69

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the cost of the item is more than $100 you will pay an extra load of import duties and taxes.

Ok, lets say i want to get my laptop from australia and it costs $1500 (US dollars). What is an estimate figure on the 'extra load of import duties and taxes' ?
RobinH

Location: Mid-bulk transport, standard radeon accelerator core, class code 03-K64--Firefly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 20%.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonshine20 wrote:
How about a laptop with a one-piece cord? Do I just buy an entirely new cord there?

Sonshine

That's a pretty old laptop, I think. You probably want to get one of those heavy duty converters they sell at Carrefour, Emart, etc. I'm not sure I'd want to just get a cord and plug it in straight without the power transformer brick in between. Does it have a transformer brick?
curiouswd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Songbird1979 wrote:
Mine says 100-240 (NOT 110)- is this still okay??

Sorry to sound dumb!

From previous posts and advice from friends in Asia, that sounds ok. However, I just plugged mine in for the first time (100-240V) and after 5 minutes it popped and smoked... TWICE. It doesn't protect your laptop from power surges (if your building is prone to such a thing). Can anyone back me up on that? Now I need to have a friend in the US buy me a $75 adapter and ship it over here =( Oh well. Anyone have advice for me? I just got to Korea 2 days ago. This is a great welcoming gift!! =)
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curiouswd wrote:
Songbird1979 wrote:

Sorry to sound dumb!

From previous posts and advice from friends in Asia, that sounds ok. However, I just plugged mine in for the first time (100-240V) and after 5 minutes it popped and smoked... TWICE. It doesn't protect your laptop from power surges (if your building is prone to such a thing). Can anyone back me up on that? Now I need to have a friend in the US buy me a $75 adapter and ship it over here =( Oh well. Anyone have advice for me? I just got to Korea 2 days ago. This is a great welcoming gift!! =)

Is yours one of the ones that is under recall?
Was it your powersupply or battery that died?

I have never had a problem with the power brick on any of my laptops and I have used them all over the world.

PS - you should be able to find a new power supply here for about 35k won. Why would you ship a $75 one from the states??
curiouswd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
curiouswd wrote:
Songbird1979 wrote:

Sorry to sound dumb!

Is yours one of the ones that is under recall?
Was it your powersupply or battery that died?

I have never had a problem with the power brick on any of my laptops and I have used them all over the world.

PS - you should be able to find a new power supply here for about 35k won. Why would you ship a $75 one from the states??

Good question! I just panicked and that is the first idea I came up with. It's a dell laptop, can you buy dell power adapters here? That would be awesome! And I don't think it was under recall. I bought it 4 years ago.
curiouswd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I also meant to say it's the power... adapter? not the battery. The laptop is ok (it just doesn't have much battery left). I just fried the ... adapter. =P
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curiouswd wrote:
oh I also meant to say it's the power... adapter? not the battery. The laptop is ok (it just doesn't have much battery left). I just fried the ... adapter. =P

Yes, you can get DELL parts here. If you are in Seoul, pop into the i'park mall (attached to yongsan station) and go UP until you hit the laptop floor. Ask around for one.

Take your old one with you. If nothing else, you can get the repair guy at the back to match one for you (and change the plug ends if necessary) or you can ask around to see where the DELL service depot is.

I don't use Dell so I can't be more specific than that for directions. Sorry.
Walker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: What about iBooks? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if I'd need a converter for my iBook? It hasn't got a two-part cord, just the Apple 45W power adapter. Says "Input: AC is 1.2A 100-240V 50/60 Hz Output: 24.V === 1.875A". So it's the power adaptor with a wall plug on it and a cord attached that charges the iBook.

Thanks-
Walker
Canadian Club

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What about iBooks? Reply with quote

Walker wrote:
Does anyone know if I'd need a converter for my iBook? It hasn't got a two-part cord, just the Apple 45W power adapter. Says "Input: AC is 1.2A 100-240V 50/60 Hz Output: 24.V === 1.875A". So it's the power adaptor with a wall plug on it and a cord attached that charges the iBook.

Thanks-
Walker

I have a MacBook and don't use a converter.... have had NO problems at all. I pucked up an adapter for the plug at the hardware store near my house for 500 won.
vlcupper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an HP Compaq notebook at TechnoMart the other day, and the guy there said they're the only ones with an English option built in. It's a 15" and less than 1 mil. I love it. Any know anything about the wireless access at Gecko's? I saw on a website they have access, but I don't know where it is. Would it be possible to get wireless for free like NetZero? I don't know anything about wifi.
Poemer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone give some clarification as to what the exact process of paying import duties is? I'm planning to have a laptop shipped to me. So, if customs stops it. . .then what? How do I pay the taxes? Where will I have to go?

I've been told by the shipping dept. of the company that I'm ordering from that they called Fed Ex Int. and were told that there would be no problem, it would be dropped right at the door. They didn't specify how this miracle would occur. . . so I'm hoping somebody can clarify the situation and tell me what to expect in a worst case scenario. thanks.
RobinH

Location: Mid-bulk transport, standard radeon accelerator core, class code 03-K64--Firefly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally you'd get a note and a phone call letting you know you have to go to the main post office to pay the duty and pick up your item. If it's being sent via Fedex, I'm not sure exactly, but probably you'll have to go to the FexEx place, wherever that is, and pay the duty. However, you might get lucky and not pay anything as I've heard several times that FedEx has a nudge, nudge, wink, wink, attitude about customs. Best to get a Korean to call FedEx and ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: