Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptops in Korea: Questions Answered
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobinH

Location: Mid-bulk transport, standard radeon accelerator core, class code 03-K64--Firefly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your local electronics mart for international plug converters. Youngsan electronics mart has them here in Seoul, so I'm sure there must be a comparable place near you. If not, or if you get tired of looking, try eBay.
littlephoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y not buy from online where ever you are i the world, they willship it to you, if you want to save a few bucks, then ya, better yet if you cant afford a new laptop, buy an old IBM thinkpad lol
liverpooljohnny81

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are people still reading this thread...just got here a week ago...brought with me a new laptop...it has the brick, as was described, that says 100 - 240v. I came back from Yongsan, where I bought a 500 won adapter. I plugged a surge protector I brought from home into it (the surge protector had an American 3 to 2 prong adapter attached) and plugged into the wall. The surge protector popped and smelled like smoke. It's an old surge protector...perhaps that has something to do with it?

Now I'm afraid to put the Korean adapter on my laptop cable (the cable from the brick to the wall, that is). Is there anything I need to do/buy? Or can I just put the adapter on my cable and plug in? Should I get a Korean surge protector? I am technologically illiterate, but am in withdrawal without my computer. I havent made friends yet and I need something to keep my mind occupied. Please advise!!!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liverpooljohnny81 wrote:
are people still reading this thread...just got here a week ago...brought with me a new laptop...it has the brick, as was described, that says 100 - 240v. I came back from Yongsan, where I bought a 500 won adapter. I plugged a surge protector I brought from home into it (the surge protector had an American 3 to 2 prong adapter attached) and plugged into the wall. The surge protector popped and smelled like smoke. It's an old surge protector...perhaps that has something to do with it?

Now I'm afraid to put the Korean adapter on my laptop cable (the cable from the brick to the wall, that is). Is there anything I need to do/buy? Or can I just put the adapter on my cable and plug in? Should I get a Korean surge protector? I am technologically illiterate, but am in withdrawal without my computer. I havent made friends yet and I need something to keep my mind occupied. Please advise!!!

Just so I understand and I am not having a misunderstanding...

you plugged a surge protecter from the US (designed to stop surges (voltage increases) over 120vac) into a 240 vac line plug and wonder why it popped? 240vac is way over 120vac... your surge protector wasn't rated for 240vac hence the burnout of your surge protector.

Now for your other question. Just put the plug adapter onto your brick and plug in. You will be just fine. Your brick is designed for it. Thousands of travelling businessmen all over the world do it every day without mishap.

No worry mate.

paquebot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Laptops in Korea: Questions Answered Reply with quote

mindmetoo wrote:
Should I buy a laptop with a wireless modem?

Wireless modems seem standard these days on laptops but Seoul isn't exactly warchalker heaven. There aren't many free open wireless access points in Seoul. SK Telecom and KT's Nespot can be found many places, like Starbucks, but they're not free. Many Starbucks in Seoul have paid wireless access but many times the staff isn't even aware they offer that service, let alone what to charge you or how to set you up. And of course, unless you speak Korean, forget ever trying to communicate this need.

I added this to another thread in the forum, but thought it might be worth including in a sticky thread as well. While (to the best of my knowledge) it doesn't list which hotspots are free and which require paid access, I did find a site of hotspots in South Korea -- broken up by region and further described by name, address, service provider, and type of establishment (mall, restaurant, school, etc.). At least it's a start in knowing where to look within your area:

http://tinyurl.com/ywjbsb

Who knew that Gyeonggi Bukbu Auto Dealers Centre in Uijeongbu, Chilam-dong Post Office in Jinju, and the National Agricultural Cooperative Federation - Hyojachon Branch in Bundang all had wifi access?

Edit: After some digging around I did manage to get a list of free wi-fi hotspots. List available here: http://tinyurl.com/32qwbs
bish

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Macbook but have left the wire that plugs the Mac to the Internet in the UK. When I get the internet fitted will the company that supplies the internet replace these cable's or do I have to get Apple specific replacements?
SeoulFinn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the ISP won't give you a new cable, you can easily buy it from almost any store. And no, there's no need to buy Mac specific cable as it's the same for PCs and Macs. Anyway, when you're getting Internet connection, why don't you ask for a wireless transmitter/box? Then you don't have to worry about cables anymore.

EDIT: I just noticed how old your question was. I'm sure you had your question figured out already.
sunhelen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KT (Megapass) sometimes requires its customers to use a connector that they provide, especially if you live in an older building. The equipment works fine with a Mac.
stillnotking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question: from reading this thread it's pretty clear that it has made more economic sense to buy laptops in the US and schlep them to Korea than to try to buy them in Korea or have them shipped there. Is this still true?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillnotking wrote:
Just a quick question: from reading this thread it's pretty clear that it has made more economic sense to buy laptops in the US and schlep them to Korea than to try to buy them in Korea or have them shipped there. Is this still true?

Yes, it is still a bit cheaper to get them at home in North America (The States or Canada)

AND

it is a lot more convenient to get the machine you want and have it installed with windows and have recovery disks in English.

The same is not necessarily true for desktops. IF you do NOT need the true portability of a laptop, get a desktop here. IT will be cheaper (entry level machines are virtually disposable) and more convenient than dragging one over here.

The cost of shipping and potential problems at customs here makes that option non-viable.
cbclark4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where do you find the websites for Korean Laptops/Notebook PCs?
nfldbrian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Laptop computer chords Reply with quote

If your non-Korean computer can handle the voltage in Korea you only need a plug adaptor when you arrive in Korea -costs about a dollar.
kara_gina

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I have hassles with immigration once my contract is completed and I return home (South Africa), with regards to bringing back a laptop bought in Korea?
mrgiles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would I have hassles with immigration once my contract is completed and I return home (South Africa), with regards to bringing back a laptop bought in Korea?

short answer is "no". i bought a lappy here in korea a few years ago and it's moved back and forth from korea to oz to korea to oz to korea, no problems at all.

which brings me to my question. i wanna buy a new laptop, and i'm thinking of doing it here again.

i'd love to get anybody's ideas on what the best one would be. i don't want anything too fancy - all i pretty much do is download shtloads of music, yammer away here on this forum, surf the internets and blogosphere, and use the word processor.

my poor old compaq presario needs to retire. what do u think is the best mix of durability, reliability, and value for money?

thnx heaps in advance.
matthew254

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my desktop pc came from http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ - they do pretty cheap laptops, but their customer service is questionable. check reseller ratings.com and do a search - cyberpower doesn't have the best customer support but for the price (and as long as your have the tech knowledge to fix your own comp, you'll be fine)

hope that helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: