Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptops in Korea: Questions Answered
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Laptops in Korea: Questions Answered Reply with quote

removed by OP

Last edited by mindmetoo on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Derrek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I have found I can buy a lot more for my money in the USA. Shop Youngsan, shop Techno-Mart, shop anywhere -- they are generally more expensive here.
fasequeira

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Power Supplies Reply with quote

Whether you buy a laptop in Korea or North America, be sure to check the voltage rating on the brick part of the power cord. If it says 110-240V then you're fine with a gender adapter. I know some people who have bought new laptops and brought them over only to fry them the first time they plugged them in.

While the OP is right and most laptops will function on both voltages it is better to be safe and check the voltage range before you plug it in.
merrilee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: I don't understand... Reply with quote

"The part that plugs into the wall socket can be snapped out of the transformer."

I bought a new laptop from America, and I don't understand the above sentence. What does "snapped out" mean?

I have a couple different plug devices- converter, transformer- I'm not sure. Anyone have a picture? I just don't want to blow anything up.

Thanks,
Merrilee
fasequeira

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Snapping out Reply with quote

Most laptops have a two piece power cord.

One end plugs into your computer and the other into the wall. Where they connect, the part that plugs into the wall can be detached from a brick-like piece of the cord.

You may not have to change the cable or anything. If the brick part says 110V~240V, then you only need a W500 gender adapter to change the plug type.

If it only says 120V, then you need a power converter or you need to check with the manufacturer to see if they have a multi-voltage power adapter.

Hope that helps. If you are really confused still, please post a link to a picture of the laptop or a picture of your power cable.
HerNameIsKya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question- I'm bringing my laptop with me to Korea and I heard that I need a telephone converter to be able to connect with the phonelines for internet access. I've been looking for one but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone know about this?
Pangit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably want broadband instead of dialup because of faster speeds. If your computer has an RJ45 or LAN port, then that should suffice.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerNameIsKya wrote:
I have a question- I'm bringing my laptop with me to Korea and I heard that I need a telephone converter to be able to connect with the phonelines for internet access. I've been looking for one but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone know about this?

If you're here long term, not a holiday, but a year, you'll want a broadband connection (like megapass). Phone calls, even local calls, are all metered by the minute. So dial up won't save you any money.
alphakennyone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: voltage again Reply with quote

ok mine says 100 or 110 or 120v (i forget) ~ 240v

however, one of the wall plugs and my power strip/multiple outlet thing says 250v. do i risk it with the gender adaptor?? (picked one up for 500 won) brand new computer..im tempted to spend the 40,000 won to get the voltage converter....thanks!
Thargelion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the voltage converter, my brand new Acer (made in Korea *sigh*) had 110-240 on the transformer and now it has to return to NA and the replacement sent back here.

40,000 Won is a paltry sum
Songbird1979

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine says 100-240 (NOT 110)- is this still okay??

Sorry to sound dumb!
alphakennyone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: follow up on voltage converter Reply with quote

alright, so i see two of the things. one is 1000 (watts?) and the other is 2000. which should i get? both bring the voltage within an acceptable range. i think 100-220. go walmart.
Mills

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't understand... Reply with quote

merrilee wrote:
"The part that plugs into the wall socket can be snapped out of the transformer."

I bought a new laptop from America, and I don't understand the above sentence. What does "snapped out" mean?

I have a couple different plug devices- converter, transformer- I'm not sure. Anyone have a picture?

See the cord on the left (part with plug) is disconnected or "snapped out" of the transfromer (the black brick)... you just replace your cord with one that has Korean style plugs. The new cord should plug right into your old transformer.
Callan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..what about buying from overseas and having it shipped to Korea?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Callan wrote:
So..what about buying from overseas and having it shipped to Korea?

If the cost of the item is more than $100 you will pay an extra load of import duties and taxes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: