Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptops in Korea: Questions Answered
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tundra_Creature

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this has been answered a million times, but I'm another person with one of those converting/transformation questions.

I'm from Canada, so I know that I need to get the little transformer that changes the plugs (two blades and a round to the Korean circular prongs), but I'm also wondering about the whole voltage adaptor thing.

I have a Samsung Q320 and the AC adaptor says the input is 100-240V~50-60 Hz 1.7A

Output is 19V-3.16A.

So, from what I understand it should be find, but then I also read about people having the whole cable pop and smoke? I'm a little confused as to why that's happening?
swoodman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Help! Reply with quote

Hi I am using my British laptop in Korea. I had a couple of adaptors sent over and they seemed to work fine for about 2 hrs. They then completely stopped working and the green light on the brick went dimmer before going out. Could I have damaged my laptop? What exactly do I need and where's a good place to get it? A voltage transformer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

PS I also have a plug in alarm clock that seems to run fast when I use the adaptor
JMO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy a laptop online from the states. In the specs it is listed as having a 65 Watt AC adapter. Will that present a problem here in Korea?
hagwonnewbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your adapter should have a little plug in for 110 or 220 volt cables.
I just bought a 220 cable from youngsan market.
It cost 3000 won or about 2.50 US
Koreanbear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all -

I am moving ot Korea in a couple of weeks and I am planning on bringing my UK laptop. My US girlfriend is deciding whether it is best to buy a laptop in the US or wait and buy a new laptop in Korea.

Having skim read this thread, it seems that...

1/ If you are about to move to Korea from the UK or the US, then bring a laptop with you as the ones in Korea is more expensive and there can be hassle getting an English version of Windows.

2/ Macs seem unpopular and are not an option buying in Korea.

3/ If you are bringing a UK laptop, then you will need to buy an adaptor when over in Korea as the voltage is different.

Can anyone "in the know" confirm if I have interpreted this thread correctly?
marina_ballerina

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard, if you have to ship from the U.S. you should declare the item "used" and make sure it's out of it's original box, ship it with some old towels or something...

I've also heard that if you have a military address, they won't make you pay import taxes. So, join up! Haha.
jrabernethy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying a macbook before I head to Korea, but after reading this thread, I was wondering if there will be much support for Macs? Is software available, or is it ever even an issue since everything is usually digital distribution nowadays? Do people with macbooks ever experience any issues with their Macs that are hard/impossible to resolve in Korea?
DolsotDan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just arrived back in Korea only to find that my laptop has decided to stop working again. As you can appreciate, with no ARC card and therefore no phone for the first week or so, the internet was going to be my only link to those out of earshot, so a breakdown could'nt have come at a worse time.

My laptop is a Dell XPS running Vista I bought in Korea a couple of years ago. Ive known the hardrive has been having troubles for a few months now and I think it will completely die some day in the new future. Right now it just says there is a disk read error on start up. Oh and being the muppet I am, I lost my Windows Vista CD a long time ago.

I've just arrived and havent got enough money to think about replacing the laptop altogether at the moment. So a repair is my most realistic option.

So I'm asking those with experience of computer repairs in Yongsan, for some advice.

a) Do I go and ask them just to reload Windows. if so, where and how much would it be likely to cost?

b) Do I ask for a new hardrive with Windows on it. Again prices and who?

c) ??? (I'm not that into the tech stuff, I might be missing a trick somewhere. But I do know for sure, after just 3 days I can't face another PC Bang. Suggestions?)
crossmr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolsot Dan, do you have any warranty remaining on your Dell?
DolsotDan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I dont know - I bought it Oct 2008 from the korean site and didnt pay for anything extra in the way of aftercare. I think therefore they only warranty it for a year.
crossmr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DolsotDan wrote:
That I dont know - I bought it Oct 2008 from the korean site and didnt pay for anything extra in the way of aftercare. I think therefore they only warranty it for a year.

okay check your PMs.
RSwanson26

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to purchase the laptop power cord in the US(from the wall to the brick) that will work in Korea? Obviously it seems that people who have problems just bought a plug adapter (between the socket and the power cable) as opposed to a new power cord (from the socket to the brick). I'd rather have the cable when I go than have to search around and be without a computer for a few days.
crossmr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSwanson26 wrote:
Is there any way to purchase the laptop power cord in the US(from the wall to the brick) that will work in Korea? Obviously it seems that people who have problems just bought a plug adapter (between the socket and the power cable) as opposed to a new power cord (from the socket to the brick). I'd rather have the cable when I go than have to search around and be without a computer for a few days.

I'd say the chances of finding one are slim unless you have a korea town or a particular store that deals with international travelers. Maybe check online.
lionesse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Laptops in Korea: Questions Answered Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this helpful website about WiFi locations!
lionesse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Buy Korean or Bring Reply with quote

Did anyone answer this for you, Koreanbear?
What did your girlfriend decide to do? I have the same question she did. Should I buy here or wait until I get to Korea in Feb.
Thanks for any advice

Koreanbear wrote:
Hi all -

I am moving ot Korea in a couple of weeks and I am planning on bringing my UK laptop. My US girlfriend is deciding whether it is best to buy a laptop in the US or wait and buy a new laptop in Korea.

Having skim read this thread, it seems that...

1/ If you are about to move to Korea from the UK or the US, then bring a laptop with you as the ones in Korea is more expensive and there can be hassle getting an English version of Windows.

2/ Macs seem unpopular and are not an option buying in Korea.

3/ If you are bringing a UK laptop, then you will need to buy an adaptor when over in Korea as the voltage is different.

Can anyone "in the know" confirm if I have interpreted this thread correctly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: