Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between a teacher and a full-time lecturer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christinajou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Difference between a teacher and a full-time lecturer? Reply with quote

Does anyone know the difference between these two? I am offered a position from this private high school as a full-time lecturer. ���Ӱ���...
I applied when they were looking for teachers (����) and went through the same screening and interview process as the other teachers. I expected a teacher position, but I am just a lecturer. Should I expect a difference in treatment and benefits?
Since I am a gyopo and don't have a Korean citizenship, I don't know what rules apply to me at this school. We haven't discussed any benefits yet, but I don't exactly know what I should be asking for.

I would appreciate it if anyone with experience or knowledge would give me some feedback on this. Thanks.[/b]
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, I'd say the school is trying to pull a fast one by the Ministery of Education.

By labelling you a "lecturer" instead of a "teacher," they don't have to abide by the semi-strict Ministery guidelines regarding the employment of foreign "teachers" at primary and secondary schools.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing.

Generally ���� would be a high school teacher and ���� a lecturer at university (the ���� part just means short term). Folks don't hold on determinedly to these distinctions, though.
Derrek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the benefits/pay of the job?

I know that Kyonngi, for example, set down a bunch of rules for teachers being hired.... rules that suck and make it harder for schools to find teachers.

Could they be using this distinction to keep control of their own contracts?

I work for a private hs, so please let me know what they're offering you/hours/vacation, etc... and I'll be able to give you more information about what's going on compared to what a teacher would get in such a situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: