Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok, lets be positive about korea now...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sickboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garsh! That was narsty!

Got mo labels then my local Hyundai,

-sick
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

narsty dog wrote:

Korea s more full of drifters and half baked arts graduates who go there and get stuck. China seems to have a real ex pat community in Shanghai - rich people who wouldnt be seen dead hanging around with ESL teachers, those are my thoughts. so what . you ve got your opinions - i ve got mine . it seems that if someone like me challenges any of 'you guys' opinions on here , you fell the need to attack me personally . But , if I do that , my post gets edited .
Interesting - or rather , predictable.

"drifters and half baked arts graduates" Interesting to see you don't consider this a personal attack. Guess you don't consider these "labels" either, given your dislike of people labeling you.
narsty dog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but the difference is my labels are on the mark - yours aren't - thats why you appear hurt because you know it s true - why would anyone be in korea (unless they were an anthropologist or korean language expert) who isnt a half baked graduate of some sort or drifter ?? i mean come on , you ve been in korea too long you almost consider it an important country . Most westerners i ve met think it s somewhere near indonesia.
does anyone outside of korea know ANYTHING about it ? again , i ll be accused of korea bashing - but answer the question - is it true or not ???
And when you go back to the west , what will you have to show for your stint in the land of crony capitalism and kimchi??

valid question, isnt it ??? Yes ? No?
girl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, not a valid question.

you need to just stop. stop trying to sound so important. stop trying to act like you know korea and it's people so well. stop being nasty and say something valid and nice and logical just once.

you don't know korea and you don't know the korean people (and i don't care if you have a korean partner or not, it's like saying someone knows a lot about a culture or people because they're dating or living with or married to that particular culture's people) nor do you know the people that work there as esl teachers. so don't try to say or act like you do. you don't know the different reasons why people go to korea to teach. you don't know what their lives are after they return home. you don't know anything about anything. why don't most westerners know about korea? because they can't be bothered to look outside of their little boxes that they live in and see the real world, the big world. westerners think they are worldly because they watch a tv show on another country. they think they are worldly because they've travelled to two or three countries and lived there for a couple of years. there's more to it than that. so just stop with your critism, stop with all of your negativity, stop trying to be someone important. JUST STOP! and don't put answer me or put a post regarding what i have just said to you, i said what i had to say and that's the end of it.

p.s the title on this post is LET'S TRY TO BE POSITIVE ABOUT KOREA not narsty dog give us all of your negative comments and stuff.
narsty dog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are you getting so het up ? take it easy. this is only a forum about korea , we re not deciding the fate of the "iraqi people' or anything .

Why should I stop posting ? why dont YOU stop posting . that sounds like bullying to me. if you dont like my posts ignore them - whatever , I dont like bullies.

who do you think you are to try and tell me i shouldnt respond to your comments - thats pretty unfair and fascist dont you think?

I m not important , no more or less than any other poster - i dont recall saying i was . if you dont like me that s another matter - but it doesnt mean i need to change my tune just to suit you .

and i havent said 'i know korean people better than you ' . i have said that some posters on here in my opinion seem a little naive in their estimation of korean people - so what , am i not alllowed to call people on what they say ??? This is a forum , not a private party.
it s night time in korea so maybe you had a little too much to drink or something - whatever, i have nothing against you personally -

i can speak korean , i lived with a korean family for years , i spent a long time , i m linked to the place by my situation - that doesnt make an expert , but it does mean i have to face up to the general culture there , the way the people relate to 'foreigners', how it changes with the wind, and how much they seem to hate America at the time :
i think i m entitled to my opinion as it s affects my life choices all the time . how about you ?? checking out of there in a year or so ? if youre not good luck to you - are you in for the ful term ???

take it easy - this is a forum, not the UN.
girl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f.y.i

i'm not in korea, i worked and lived there for two years. i am a korean american.

reason why i'm saying you don't know anything? it's because you throw out these accusations like you know everything. i never said for you to stop posting, i said you need to stop with your negative attitude. i said for you not to bother to respond to my post because all you have to say is negative.

you need to read a little more closely and pay attention to details more often and think before you speak.
jaderedux

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: DUUUUDES Reply with quote

Folks .... coming down a little rough on Narsty.....

I don't like about 90% of what he says but he does have a right to say it. This is a free style forum. Some people really don't like this country. That is their right.

Disagreement is healthy and makes us think. While I think Mr. ND is a little bit negative he also does make alot of valid points. Yes, there is alot of racism here. Xenophobia in fact. Women are less than equals by a long shot. And other foriegn workers here get treated like....$hit.

I have alot of positive things I love/like about this country but lets also be realistic. No where in the world is perfect, including Korea.

So argue yes...disagree yes...but try to remember that every good idea started with someone willing to swim against the tide.

Jade...retiring from the soapbox

I may not like what you say but I will defend to death your right to say it!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK calm down people or I will lock this thread
Butterfly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

narsty dog wrote:

if you dont like my posts ignore them

Exactly.
desultude

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this thread has taken a rather, well, nasty turn. I only wish that the positive was as infectious as the negative.

I was telling a friend here this morning about some angry men I know in the U.S. They live on a beautiful ranch in Northern California. I spent three months there last year- their ranch has fruit trees, a very large vegetable garden, chickens for fresh eggs every day, giant walnut trees that would make any Korean swoon with envy, its on a beautiful stretch of the Sacramento River, and is part of a bird sanctuary. In the morning when the irrigation water is running you can hardly see the sky for wild birds of every color and song. Cayotes howl at night, and the stream has a family of playful otters. I am making none of this up.

I could have stayed as long as I wanted. It was so tempting. But these guys were so angry at the world and at life in general, that the entire atmosphere was poisoned. All of the beautiful was stiffled by a pall of nastiness.

Now I live in Taegu. Even in the spring with all of the flowers blooming things seem a bit drab, and even the spring colors are not quite clear. The concrete buildings flow one into the other in various shades of monotonous grey, brightened at night by neon. It can be a bit pretty at times, but rather less than inspiring. The woods and hills in spring green provide a bit of relief. But I like it a lot better here than at the place in California.

My students are so sweet and loving, and positive. We laugh in class all of the time, and they are always bringing me little gifts and smiles. I don't find myself feeling depressed and lonely. I see little bits of beauty everywhere.

In the university program where I teach, there are a couple of angry people. I try to avoid them, and they make my students very nervous. They are a couple of men from the U.S, and they carry a black cloud wherever they go.

My point is that we can complain about every place in the world. No place is perfect. We can also see the beauty of every place we go, without being naive about the shortcomings. That's a choice. There is no need for the complainers to leave Korea, it won't change a thing for them.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
why would anyone be in korea (unless they were an anthropologist or korean language expert) who isnt a half baked graduate of some sort or drifter ?

Because Korea pays me double what I made as a public teacher in Canada, for half the hours. And my wife's family's here. And I like Korea, flaws and all.

I also agree with Jade's view - narsty has every right to express his views, even if we don't agree with them. Let's knock off the "Stop posting!""No YOU stop posting!" exchanges.

Everybody post!
Len8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Ok, lets be positive about korea now... Reply with quote

Nasty dog your posts are at times a bit cutting, but your points are real to life goings on in Korea. There is an element of truth in most of your posts, and it kind of gets under a lot of peoples skin, because they are stuck on seeing Korea through rose glasses or whatever the saying is. Alot of people out there have their whole life's security tied up in the way they want to percieve Korea, or is it because of they were taught to percieve it. So if you are rocking their life long from birth perceptions and knocking them out of their comfort zones more power to you.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultude wrote:
My point is that we can complain about every place in the world. No place is perfect. We can also see the beauty of every place we go, without being naive about the shortcomings. That's a choice. There is no need for the complainers to leave Korea, it won't change a thing for them.

Oh, music. Wonderful post. The dynamics and particularly the conflicts on this board are, I think, more to do with the posters really, their characters and how they see their environment than to do with anything Korean. Korea is just a place where I don't see all that much difference to anywhere else, but I find myself defending Korea, I guess, and it is more to do with my character than Korea itself. Like I say, Korea is only a place.

As someone who commonly defends Korea at Dave's, I am fully aware that I could easily make a list of things that I don't like, and there are several. And I'd be happy to engage in such a discussion if I really knew that those I'd be discussing these things with would be completely objective, but the people you refer to desultitude are an abyss of hatred and negativity, and are not objective, sadly. Nobody should be deluded that the likes of myself are blind to the negative things in and about Korea (I volunteer weekly with some of the hidden handicapped and orphaned children in Korea, believe me, I know), we just want to debate things here fairly and objectively, without fear of personal attack and insults with other people who just want to debate things without any preset agenda.
jaderedux

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: GRRRRR..... Reply with quote

Okay here is what I don't understand. If I mention things I like about Korea suddenly I am living in a dream world, in some rose colored bubble.

Sorry but nothing on earth is clear cut and black and white. Yes, I readily agree that there are many terrible things about Korea.

And coming from America there are a helluva alot of crappy things going on there.

And having visited China last year ...which I thought was fascinating....I found incredible beauty mixed with poverty and a sort of suppression I had never been confronted with before.

And having been in Turkey I was appalled at the poverty...amazed at the generosity....appalled at how women are treated.

And having been in Europe I was amazed at the beauty....stifled by the jingoistic nature of many I met.

Guess what else...in England some foriegn workers get treated like proverbial crap...and not only that but in America many migrant workers lived and still live in incredibly substandard housing...get cheated...abused and generally are invisible to society.

When I visited England a few years ago I met some Pakistani immigrants who told me stories that would curl your hair and make you rail loudly against the so called civilized British.

Now all that being said......In each of those places I also found beauty, generousity, humor, amazing buildings, castles, mosques...whatever.

I came to Korea to learn to live outside my comfort zone. And even at the worst of times...Korea has made me a stronger person. Coming from America I learned so many hard lessons....Some I didn't want to learn but I thank Gawd I had the intelligence and open mindedness to learn even from the worst of things I have experienced here and seen here.

No this place isn't perfect. The U.S. isn't perfect...Australia isn't perfect...England isn't perfect...France isn't perfect.

Somedays I survive by remembering what doesn't kill me ...makes me stronger. Other days...I look at the beautiful blue sky and the mountains and wonder how I could be so lucky. I believe it is like that everywhere.

Jade
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

narsty dog wrote:
why would anyone be in korea (unless they were an anthropologist or korean language expert) who isnt a half baked graduate of some sort or drifter ??

Well, way I see it, I took out loans for $20,000 to complete 3 and 1/2 years of University, 1 year of it spent in Australia. I now have to pay the money back, but the only way to get a teaching job in most states in America is for me to go back to Uni for teaching credentials. Coming from poverty, and not having parents to support me, the lucrative deals in Korea from my perspective easily lured me.

Of course, I'm also not getting uppity about your posts...just wanted to state that some people do have valid reasons to be out here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: