Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok, lets be positive about korea now...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canuckophile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Is South Korea one of the most INTERESTING Asian countries? Reply with quote

I should be returning to Korea in a few weeks... though I'll have to keep my fingers crossed here. One of the less attractive aspects of Korea is the discrimination the "most Confucian society in Asia" practices against hiring older teachers! Quite ironic in my case, since Koreans generally can't tell how old I am, and I've been the object of amorous intent by (surprise surprise) drunken Korean men who are younger than my 2 kids.

I thought I'd read this thread on what is good about Korea... and noticed very little comment about politics. I spent slightly over a year and half in Korea, and found it a most interesting country politically. (I met a reporter from the LA Times who said the same -- when the LA Times decided to send a reporter to East Asia, they offered her Japan, but she chose Korea because it's so alive politically while Japan is so dead.)

I think one of the positive things about Korea is that it's a nation in political ferment -- and when Koreans think something is wrong, they do something -- some may demonstrate, but most at least complain or tell you what they think. (The riots in Buan over the proposed nuclear waste dump a couple of years ago are a good example of this.)

I don't find Korea particularly attractive. (Why did they tear down all the old, interesting, and lovely Korean architecture and put up all these ugly buildings that could be ANYWHERE on earth? Nothing looks Korean except the hangul lettering!) Even a lot of the mountains look worn out -- though there are some areas that are still lovely.

But compared to the Japanese (who have a truly lovely country) the Koreans seem much more interesting. The Japanese seem jaded, taking no interest in the rest of the world and little in their own country.

Korea, by contrast, is full of energy. It's true the Koreans are not exactly well-versed in history, geography, or current events ("No, children -- Africa is not a country; it's a continent of many countries") but many are highly opinionated about any subject of which they are actually aware.

And there's an active environmental movement -- desperately needed in this tiny country where the idiot gov't wants to build millions of golf courses -- supposedly to keep Koreans from going overseas to play golf.(BTW, this entails chopping off the tops of a lot of mountains, building roads, and using dangerous fertilizers and pesticides), and continues its plans to build the seawall at the Samangeum Tidal Flats (a prime resting place for waterfowl migrating from as far away as Australia). And then there are all the damn dams. Korea has more dams per square km than any other country on earth, and despite its tiny size, is 7th in the world in the total number of dams. And boy, do I ever wish someone would start educating Koreans on the destructiveness of butterfly nets. I cringe in the summer when all these little kids are unleashed with nets, charging after the few remaining butterflies that they will likely never catch, although they will manage to kill them by mangling their wings.

So that's my "heads up" on what's right about Korea. I think they are moving toward a more sophisticated understanding of themselves and the world. I can only hope they get there before they destroy their own country's historic beauty.

By the way, on this thread I want to commend "Pets wonderland" -- a Kyopo who not only wrote an interesting post, but a literate one. Razz
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking this morning about how much better ondol heating to most of the alternatives, especially if you have a baby like we do. Our son is so curious about touching anything that is hot and cold, having ondol heating instead of a radiator has probably saved us a few trips to the hospital.
brento1138

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Korea a month, and I love this country. What a good post to see here... so, yeah, I love, in no particular order:

- Koreans, young and old. They're nice people. Warm & friendly, and very respectable.
- Hotuks. This would take off in Canada so very well. Tim Hortons, take notice.
- Drinks. Koreans love to drink and know how to party... they also have those wonderful heated coffee cans in your local Family Mart.
- Good lookin' women... who are nice!!
- Food. I've tried lots, and love it all. Even kimchi... I am proud to say.
- The convenience. The bus comes every 4 minutes, cabs are dirt cheap... beat that Vancouver.
- The kids. Come on, even though they can be brats, there aren't cuter kids than Koreans.
- The shopping. The coolest shirts & clothes to buy, cheap cheap cheap!
- The money. We live pretty good here, admit it...
- No crime, honest people. My friend forgot his 350 dollar camera somewhere, and actually got it back...
- Boardgame cafes. just good clean fun!
- PC Bangs.

I know its been a month only, but come on... teaching in Korea's been one of the best decisions I've made. And it's all thanks to this cool country. Much better than I expected, and I expected a cool year anyhow... Cool
mee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
people from other Asians countries are treated like animals , not given proper training but continue to do jobs koreans will not do , whilst being paid 'trainee' wages and have lots of other human rights abuses to put up with to boot.

that reminded me of america figuratively and literally. i think that prejudice is a dark human condition. No matter what lip service or so-called policies and laws are in place, people can get around that in their treatment of you. I see america as having the "right" laws on paper but people weren't anymore evolved than third world countries. It was like pigs living in nice houses with all the modern blessings but they were as shitty as any other human beings.
mee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sid wrote:
Whenever I go to Seoul (not very often) I'm aware of a kind of fake international 'cool', as if paying lip service to being a slick, modern 'globalised' capital city without really wanting to be. I much prefer the more 'umble, unpretentious run-of-the-mill life and attitudes out in the provinces.

Yeah, there is very little soul in Seoul I believe to the international visiter. Sure, Seoul has to have soul, but where is it? How is it accessible and how can it be marketed to make Seoul a better place to live? To an outsider it does seem to have soul in apperance but after a bit of exploration and questioning you get lost and usually at a bar. One reason of many I feel is the reason for this, and this is only one angle about it too, is that Koreans when they go out on the town or are out working in the town are always by the nature of their culture in a group. These groups tend to be very exclusionary and inviting some new guy at the moment to pal around with them would change their group's dynamics. These exclusionary groups then sequester themselves away in establishments so that they have very little contact with other groups. If they do there is always a distance, formality and prescription about it too. I see very little uncontrolled meetings and mixing. Most actions are prescribed so while there is a lot of energy out there, it is hard to grab onto it, for it is by nature very exclusionary and sequested away. And thus very little Soul when taken in conjuction with the totality of the city?

Oh wow, this so nailed my impressions so accurately. So I know i'm not crazy or imagining things...
mee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this positive list stopped years ago. Things must have really changed such as the mention of many cheap items and insane conveniences etc.

I've experienced none of those yet.
Sushi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People here aren't shy about singing. They must love it in fact considering the number of norebongs in any village, town, suburb or city.

They are everywhere in Japan too. The hostess bars have them as well.

Point is that westerners are very shy when it comes to singing in public, or if they do sing in public they make a big to do about it. Here it just aint no big deal to sing any which way you can. They are uninhibeted and spontaneous and that makes them all the more pleasnt to be around when it comes to singing.
Tony Blair

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mee wrote:
I noticed this positive list stopped years ago. Things must have really changed such as the mention of many cheap items and insane conveniences etc.

I've experienced none of those yet.

Or maybe people dont write on posts over several years day after day? Rolling Eyes
Yaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) You can make a full-time wage doing privates (as I did for a while after the financial crisis hit in 1997).

2) Korea gets stressful but you generally still have a good time (though alcohol plays a big part).

3) Travel to other countries is easy (though the won-dollar rate can change this).

4) Meeting people is easy (though not always the right ones).

5) Korea has improved over the years, and will probably continue to do so.

I follow this saying: Korea could someday become the country that it thinks it already is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: