Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reasons why gyopos aren't hired?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic always gets me.. I just don't understand.. everywhere I have ever worked has had kyopo teachers.. almost always.. they are in demand.. there are jobs.. in more than a few schools i've seen kyopos generally become the managers who become the go-between for native speakers and management and all the rest..

tons and tons of jobs.. I just got turned for a job because i'm white and not a kyopo..

Its not a mutually exclusive job to teach English.. if i were korean, i'd prefer to have a korean teach me.. of course i'm not a korean.. but if i was, i would..

someone else posted about this.. i'll look for jobs right now.. i could probably find a good 10 or so..
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent about 5-10 minutes searching for jobs for KYOPOS.. here you go.. spend double that time.. and you will have a dozen or so more.. I never understand why this 'problem' comes up over and over and over that kyopos can't find jobs??? these are all jobs posted today..

---------------------
We also need 1 perfect bilingual female Kyopo teacher who can perform a director(supervisor) job of an institute. (we prefer in her late 20's and early 30's) The director's annual salary is 30 million won. No commissions from teachers, so feel free to contact~!

Name of employer AimHigh Recruiting C Contact person Jennifer Lee
Email [email protected]
http://myhome.naver.com/mmenglish
Phone 02-906-1585 Fax --
Mobile --
Address 904-9, Daechi 4-dong, Kangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea, Seoul, Korea

--------------------

Direct English is looking for a Gyopo teacher (Lived overseas for 25 years or more) who can work part-time(5:30pm~9:30pm) from Monday-Friday in our Youido or Jongro center. If you're interested in the position please call our office at 02-533-6840~3 or email us. Also don't forget to check out our website at www.directenglish.co.kr

---------------------------

School/Company Michigan campus 어학원
Contact Name 원장
Phone 011-778-2026 Fax 02-968-0590
E-mail [email protected]
Preferences Male/Female
Kyopo (ethnically Korean foreigner)
Korean
----------------
School/Company Oedae Readingtown Institute
Contact Name Jennifer
Phone 032-325-0509 Fax
E-mail [email protected]
Preferences Male/Female
-----------
School/Company Korea Herald
Contact Name Julie
Phone 031-266-0594 Fax 031-266-1981
E-mail [email protected]
Preferences Male/Female
Foreigner

----------

Anyhow, there must be 100s and 100s of jobs.. check out http://englishwork.com/list/list_ss_e.htm as well..

I have no why idea this is such a problem?
girl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do know that you make a very valid point. there are jobs out there, it's just gyopos need to look harder and dig deeper to find them. it gets very frustrating at times though.

but you're right, there are jobs, you just need to look and do your research.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

girl wrote:
i do know that you make a very valid point. there are jobs out there, it's just gyopos need to look harder and dig deeper to find them. it gets very frustrating at times though.

but you're right, there are jobs, you just need to look and do your research.
Yeah, there must be 100s and 100s of jobs.. I just pulled up those five or so in about five minutes.. I'm too lazy and its unrelated to me to pull up 50 and post them.. but I probably could fairly quickly and easily.. and I mean 50 very recent within the last few days of having made the job announcement.. extremely easily..

But anyhow, they are definetely out there.. everywhere.. I'm almost tempted to pull up and post 50 right now.. very easy to do.. but almost pointless as anyone else could do it just as quickly as I could.. as all the same information is online..
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: yeah know all about it Reply with quote

I have kyopo friends who have been born and raised in America and even graduated with a degree in English Education, he cant speak a lick of korean, he writes speaks English better than any whitey I know..
still I get paid more than he does! just because I am white!
that SUCKS MAN!!!!
we took a camp 3 years ago, the director of the camp was trying to pay him 500.000 less than us, I was not going to buy that , I managed to get two other foreigners that I just met on the bus to back me up against this prejudice they did so I told him either you pay his the same as us or 3 whiteys will walk right now!!!
so he paid..
even In hakwons they say NO kyopos or say NO KIWIS! north americans only! only white!! ITS ALL BS and really turns me out!!
apperance in a nut!! please send PICTURE!!
come on!!!
they couldnt care less about your credentials , its how you look, are you American/canadian, and are you white!!!
Its money all about the money!!
marketing son marketing.. I can understand that, thats my major, but not hiring a korean/American who cant speak KOREAN! just because he is Asian , thats wrong SO wrong!! still they have it better than the blacks which is real sad..
sometimes kyopos are more important than whiteys, of course the ones who are fluent in both languages
in some cases at some schools...
girl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it is true. everything is based on whether or not you are white. but, it does not make it impossible to find a job if you are a gyopo. and a good one at that.

in the other posts, i said that you have to just apply to every job possible that you think fits your experience and your needs and expect the worse and hope for the best. i did and i just got an amazing offer from a job. and they know i'm a gyopo. i start in june, i've got four weeks vacation, 12 sick days, single housing and an amazing starting pay. how do i know if this is all legit? i researched.

it took about a month to find this job. you need to fight for it. and if you're only looking to teach kids, it's even harder as a gyopo because the owners of the schools have to worry about the parents too which goes back to marketing. try looking for a job teaching adults.

as a gyopo you really don't have too much of a choice to be picky on applying for jobs. apply for everything out there, and when they reply with offers, weed them out. that's when you can pick and choose. the ones that say no only whites, ovbiously you don't want to work for them. t

good luck on your job hunt
homer521

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itaewonguy,

That was super cool of you. You're an honarary Korean in my book. hah (but I'm sure you don't need me to tell ya that)

Girl and Tiger Beer,

I see this is almost spinoff from our other forum. I know I need to look harder, but I'm just totally new to this, so still adjusting. Thanks for all the help so far though.
peace
Pets wonderland

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tough also, if you're not from America or Canada.

I'm Korean- AUstralian, and when I was applying for jobs in Oz, a lot of them wanted to pay me low wages because I don't have a north- american accent. I actually accepted an offer which turned out to be a diasaster and looking for jobs while in Korea has turned out to be a much better option for me.

After nearly a year at a kiddie hagwon, I'm finally doing what I've always wanted to do- teach adults, and very well educated ones at that. The kiddie hagwon went through their fair share of bad teachers gyopos and natives alike, and couldn't trust me at first. I even had do a demo teaching session. They were quite happy with me for a year but I had to prove myself all the time as well as dealing with parents who complained about the fact I'm not white. Those days are finally behind me! Very Happy

I still think that for gyopos, going freelance is not a bad option after the first year. Save some money, get your own place, and start teaching some privates and get some company gigs. The fact that you have your own accommodation lessens the stress that comes with working at a hagwon, and also, if you only work part-time at a hagwon, there are less responsibilities for you to take care of. I do have to run around a bit, but I've narrowed all my jobs down to places nearby, so it's been ok so far.
sakamuras

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excuse me...but most gyopos ARE native speakers, and they DO have a firm grasp of all the "nuances".

do you even know what a gyopo is? are you saying that 1/2nd generation Jewish-Americans, Italian-Americans, etc...don't have as firm a grasp of the English language as what you are calling a "native"? what are you considering a native? someone who's great great great great grandfather was george washington?

can't believe all this ignorance and pompous attitude on this board!

"being white doesn't necessarily make you a great english teacher"

Kleenex wrote:
Gyopos will never be favored as highly as native speakers because there are certain nuances that a native speaker has command of and will use appropriately -- right time, tone, and frequency (as in not overusing it) -- that a gyopo will never master (even if the native speaker can't explain them half as well). You can't become a native speaker through exposure, even long ones.

It would be arrogant to believe that as a non-native speaker you can speak beter English than a native. It's more than having proper grammar and knowing what part of speech a word is; good native teachers will know grammar. However, don't forget that this is conversational English and not textbook English. Most of the time a majority of hagwons only need and should use 1 or 2 gyopos for the lower levels. At the upper levels, let the natives do it.

Playing catch with Barry Bonds for 20 years doesn't make you a great baseball player.
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know several kyopos working in hagwons making 2-4 times what an average teacher makes in a hagwon. It's not because they work longer hours either, they simply have a higher payrate...

They work hard for the money and the Korean parents specifically request kyopos to teach their kids.

There are many institutes that specialize in having kyopo educators only.

Also, the average hogwan hires kyopos all the time. Maybe it's because of a shortage of 'white" teachers to go around, but for the most part I've met kyopos having NO problems getting conversational english jobs with the same pay as Caucasian teachers.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:
I know several kyopos working in hagwons making 2-4 times what an average teacher makes in a hagwon. .

So these kyopo teachers make eight million won a month? Yeah right. Even if they were teaching TOEIC that's quite a stretch. I've worked with teachers who've done that, and around 4 million was the average for teachers like that. If they weren't teaching TOEIC or doing privates, then no way would any hakwon director pay that amount of cash unless their school had such a bad reputation that they couldn't get anyone else to work there. Hakwons are businesses. Why would they hire people like that...unless they were desperate?
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:
I know several kyopos working in hagwons making 2-4 times what an average teacher makes in a hagwon. .

So these kyopo teachers make eight million won a month? Yeah right. Even if they were teaching TOEIC that's quite a stretch. I've worked with teachers who've done that, and around 4 million was the average for teachers like that. If they weren't teaching TOEIC or doing privates, then no way would any hakwon director pay that amount of cash unless their school had such a bad reputation that they couldn't get anyone else to work there. Hakwons are businesses. Why would they hire people like that...unless they were desperate?

Yes, they make close to 8 million. These are academically serious, specialized schools mainly in Apgujeong, Chungdam, and Kangnam... They aren't your typical conversational (baby-sitting) classes for kids....They pay big bucks for kyopos that have graduated from big name schools in the states...These kyopos teach TOEFL, as well as English literature, writing, and other academic topics.

The parents demand kyopos because they think they have a better understanding of what it takes to get into the best universities in the US/Canada.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've seen and met (I asked them to hook me up also!!!) some of these teachers so I know they exist.
CanKorea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

I reiterate again...WOW! 8 million won? That's pretty damn good.

What places are these, can I sign up? I'm gyopo with 6 darned years of education and 2 degrees burning a hole in my pocket. Didn't go to any fancy school though. *sigh*

And off I go to search for the perfect hagwon...it exists, I know it does.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:
[Yes, they make close to 8 million. These are academically serious, specialized schools mainly in Apgujeong, Chungdam, and Kangnam... They aren't your typical conversational (baby-sitting) classes for kids....They pay big bucks for kyopos that have graduated from big name schools in the states...These kyopos teach TOEFL, as well as English literature, writing, and other academic topics.

The parents demand kyopos because they think they have a better understanding of what it takes to get into the best universities in the US/Canada.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've seen and met (I asked them to hook me up also!!!) some of these teachers so I know they exist.

Well then these aren't really hakwons then. They are actual schools, not businesses. This is not relative to the usual situations of foreigners here. Those kyopos also likely have PhD's or at least Masters' degrees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: