Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reasons why gyopos aren't hired?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plasticmustache

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: dead horse Reply with quote

I was told by many of my Korean college friend's that it's changing. Many Korean Gyopo's(those with fluent accents born in foreign countries) are prefered by Koreans because they understand the culture, the work related culture, and their bilingualism helps them when necessary, especially in private tutoring Smile.

My Korean co teachers all prefer Gyopo's because they feel they have more respect for the Korean education system and it's students. I think colleges and Public institutions are fine for Gyopos, and is often the case, those Korean english teachers often prefer them.

But then again, I'm not Korean, but I can speak pretty ok. I understand how to properly interact the Korean way with CO workers, so I have an advantage other Caucasians or foreigners don't to some degree.

Hope my two cents help. Gyopos don't need to worry unless they have bad credentials, are trying to take advantage of the system like someone else here said, or cannot speak well. I think the hagwon's still have the discrimination problem, but I hear it's from the parents and not alway from the institutions themselves.

Cheers mate!
plasticmustache

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: oh Reply with quote

I think the best way is for people to actually ask Korean young people about this issue instead of posting and hearing each individuals two cents. If you can get the truth out of them, then they'll probably tell you that they would rather have a Gyopo(I'm serious). Ask them... Ask them in Korean if you can, that way they'll see and trust you as a Korean. They'll tell you what they want to say instead of what you want to hear Smile

I also heard that if you speak both, especially if you are Korean:
-You can make anywhere from 3 to 5 mil a year in some type of management position...

-At some point, management positions are always available to true bilinguals.

Maybe the 5 mil is hard to get, but being a Korean bilingual, you often get the opportunity to make more money in the long run then your Caucasian counterparts.
Smile
Yaya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanMyth is typical of the dorks who have this "I've never seen or heard of it, so it must be false." I have a buddy pulling in 15 million to 20 million won a month teaching prep for TOEIC or IELT, and I KNOW he's not lying as he's made investments in other companies and real estate with his dough. Korean media has reported of the "superstar" teachers who pull in more than 100 million won a year, and this ain't false.

TOEIC teachers in Gangnam can average eight million to ten million won a month as long as they're good, but even average ones can pull in four million.

As for the gyopo thing, gyopos also have the advantage of the F-4 visa, meaning less bureaucratic hassle for the hakwon owners. I'd say the gyopo who whines that he can't find a job needs to shut up and get his or her butt in gear.
pkang0202

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a gyopo that grew up in the US education system, from Kindergarten all the way to University Degree. Also studied Korean at special Korean Schools on Saturdays growing up.

Here's my 2 cents.

Some hagwons won't hire you because you don't look Western. Does that mean there are less job oppurtunities? NO. Its the opposite. For every job that isn't available because of being a gyopo, there are many other doors that are open to me.

Now, there are different circumstances. If you are a gyopo and your English is as broken as the next Korean guy then of course you aren't going to get a good job teaching English.

On the flipside, if you are extremely fluent in English and don't know a lick of Korean then I can see how it'll be more difficult for you to get a job.

Then there's the Gyopo who can't speak Korean and DOESN'T LIKE KIMCHEE. If you fall into this category then I truely feel for you.
ardis

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Dan! I already know you already know my input, but I'll share it for the other KA's (especially adoptees) that might be reading this.

Once I started posted my resume on sites, I got TONS of phone calls. During the interviews, the interviewee seemed surprised but impressed that I am a Korean adoptee with such a strong interest in teaching in Korea--none of them ever seemed disappointed or strange about it. My entire family is white (Irish and Italian) except for my older sister (also adopted from Korea), so English is the only language I've ever known. So don't worry, Korean adoptees--the market seems to be in our favor nowadays, and getting hired shouldn't be a huge problem. I was even offered a higher salary (by about $400) than my white friends that also got the same job.
emelius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ardis wrote:
Hey, Dan! I already know you already know my input, but I'll share it for the other KA's (especially adoptees) that might be reading this.

Once I started posted my resume on sites, I got TONS of phone calls. During the interviews, the interviewee seemed surprised but impressed that I am a Korean adoptee with such a strong interest in teaching in Korea--none of them ever seemed disappointed or strange about it. My entire family is white (Irish and Italian) except for my older sister (also adopted from Korea), so English is the only language I've ever known. So don't worry, Korean adoptees--the market seems to be in our favor nowadays, and getting hired shouldn't be a huge problem. I was even offered a higher salary (by about $400) than my white friends that also got the same job.

Are you serious? $400 extra for being adopted? I've had 18 months teaching for TaLK, a B.A. in TESOL with practicum experience, observation hours at an English institute at my university, along with teaching and one-on-one volunteering at the same institute, and I only got $100 extra than any other run-of-the-mill white dude.
PigeonFart

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mokpochica"]She has no 'accent' whatsoever in English.[/quote]

Sorry to be pedantic but i hear that too often from our colonial cousins. Everybody has an accent...even Americans (gasp).

I know i'm being pedantic so please forgive me.
expatjb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't count how many times when I've applied for jobs and half apologised for not speaking better Korean, and they say "Oh, no we don't want someone who can't speak Korean" or "it's better that you don't speak!"

Employers at companies and even hagwons want to "force" their employees or students to speak English.
jlee83

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unspoken hagwon preference (from least to most desirable).

1. Male gyopos, Male African-Americans, and people from non-English speaking countries
2. Female African-Americans and obese Caucasians
3. Female gyopos
4. Male Caucasians
5. Female Caucasians

Male gyopos who can't speak a lick of Korean have it pretty rough, unless of course they have other things going for them, such as graduating from a good school, good looks, etc.
Squire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the parents know that some Korean English teachers are claimed to be gyopos by hagwon owners, so they don't trust that real gyopos who speak English as their first language are actually what they say they are

Also, perhaps the stereotype- I said it's a stereotype so don't bite my head off- the stereotype that gyopos spend all of their time on Dave's defending Korean culture maybe puts off some hagwon owners from employing them. Like I said, it's only a stereotype so don't have a go at me for bringing it up. I didn't say I agreed with it
Yaya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top candidate for a hakwon job nowadays is a female gyopo from the U.S.
moonifyme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys I had a question,

I was born in Korea and immigrated to the US when I was three years old. So naturally, I have Korean citizenship.

Would there be a problem with me applying and letting them know that I am a Korean citizen? (as many places require citizenship from an English-speaking country)

And is there anyone (or have heard of another) who is in my position?

Thanks a lot!
Mikemikev

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.resist.com/CARTOON%20GALLERY/GOOKS/gook_image03.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: