Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Runs ... Other
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Intrepid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Visa Runs ... Other Reply with quote

I'm just back from a visa run to Tokyo, so here's the latest:
The Consulate is separate from the Korean Embassy, but if you make it to the Korean Embassy the guards there will give you a map.
The station is Azabu-juban, on the Oedo Line. Take exit #7 and cross the street at the crosswalk immediately outside that exit. Take the street/alley on your left, parallel to the crosswalk and follow it till it ends. Turn left, go straight down, on the right side, to the 6-8 lane road. Cross that road and take a right onto the opposite sidewalk; walk about 200m looking for the Korean consulate on your left.
It's on the 2nd floor. Friendly staff, believe it or not, especially if you drop a few words of Korean.
N.B.
--They only take passports from 9a.m.-noon.
--They very inconveniently deliver the visas 50+ hours later, from 13:30-16:00 +2 days. If you have your plane ticket for early departure on that day, you can photocopy the ticket there for 10Y, submit it to the visa officer, and they'll get you your passport by 9 a.m. +2 days.
--5400Y fee; you have to get a ticket from a machine next to the Information desk. Machine does not take 5000 or 10000 yen bills; also rejects the new 1000Y bills.
--Bring a photo.
Your correspondent lost his receipt and still had no trouble getting his passport back.
Once, in Bangkok, I turned in my passport on a Thursday, expecting it on Friday (non-refundable ticket for Friday evening in hand). They said "Two days," and since Monday was a Thai holiday, that meant Tuesday. I went back the same Thursday afternoon and said I needed my passport back, that I was moving house, etc., that I'd have to make another visa run, though I "didn't know how I'd afford it, etc..." Got the visa right there in a total of three hours.
Strategy only to be used in an emergency, of course.

Last edited by Intrepid on Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:51 pm; edited 5 times in total
panthermodern

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Korean Gov't had any brains at all ...

They should have a special consulate in Cheju-do where you can get your visa done over the weekend. Arrive Friday leave Monday ...

Thing of the tourist won in revenue ...

That Tokyo run sounds expensive ... 50 hours ...

They charge you for air by the hour in Tokyo don't they?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ed1980

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: are they open on sundays? Reply with quote

if i go on froday morning - will i be able to pick it up on the sunday?? - or will it be monday morning at the earliest ???

cheers
jajdude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="panthermodern"]If the Korean Gov't had any brains at all ...

They should have a special consulate in Cheju-do where you can get your visa done over the weekend. Arrive Friday leave Monday ...

Think of the tourist won in revenue ...

quote]

Well, it sounds good in theory. But then again they could just charge a nice sum for work visas anywhere in Korea. But for some reason one has to leave the country. A strange law perhaps, but one not unique to Korea.
L-train

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panthermodern wrote:
If the Korean Gov't had any brains at all ...

Thing of the tourist won in revenue ...

That Tokyo run sounds expensive ... 50 hours ...

They charge you for air by the hour in Tokyo don't they?

You're missing the point -= people go to Japan because you have to leave the country . It's the closest place other than the north.
panthermodern

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have no idea of what you are talikng about.

Quote:
You're missing the point -= people go to Japan because you have to leave the country . It's the closest place other than the north.

I am saying IF the Korean Gov't were smart they would issue visas in country.

There has been alot of talk making Cheju a "vias free zone" as "special region" much like HK is to China where no visa is required for tourists and could be a clearing hiuse for greater Korea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previously this was the sticky for visa runs to Tokyo.

I have re-titled it "Other."

Please post queries, travel reports, and info on visa runs to non-traditional places, ie not the usual Osaka/Fukuoka runs, here.

Your friendly neighbourhood mod cat, JTC.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a five day wait in Toronto now. You should bring your seal transcripts, even if you provided them already to your school for the Korea-side visa application.
plato's republic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone been on a visa run to Tokyo lately?
cfedora

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone been on a visa run to Tokyo lately?

I am on that run right now. Fortunately I am staying with friends, so the cost isn`t as high. I will let you know how it goes for me (I am just on my way to drop off the visa info now).
Canuckophile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Has anyone done visa run in CHINA? (Esp QINGDAO?) Reply with quote

I have to pay my own visa completely, and the cost in Japan (whether Osaka or Fukuoka) seems to be quite high.

I realize I'd have to get visa just to go to China, but I think there's a Korean consulate in QINGDAO (home of Tsingdao beer) and it's an overnight ferry ride (quite comfortable; I've done it) from Incheon. And quite decent hotel was just $12 a night.

Has anyone done this? Advice?

Any idea if they take WON? Or Chinese Yuan? Or USD?

Or where Korean consulate might be in Qingdao?

Or if it takes 2 days to get visa issued, etc.?
Any other info you could share?

Thanks...
cfedora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my visa in Tokyo, and it was 6000 yen, and the processing took 2 days (I passed my stuff in on wednesday morning, and I got it back friday afternoon). Tokyo can be quite expensive to stay in for that long, unless you have some friends to stay with. Apparently, Fukuoka is the only place in Japan where the visa can be processed by the next business day.
kangnam mafioso

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panther, what happened to your old, mad cool avatar of the weird chick with rotting teeth? seriously.
bosintang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be going to the consulate in Tokyo this week. Does anyone have updates, or clearer directions, since the OP's post last year?
K-in-C

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Bump Reply with quote

bosintang wrote:
I'm going to be going to the consulate in Tokyo this week. Does anyone have updates, or clearer directions, since the OP's post last year?

Ditto...

Bump Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: