Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to do on a weekend...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demonicat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: What to do on a weekend... Reply with quote

I've been here for a while (long enough to not be a rookie, yet still pretty damn stupid). I've done the basic tourist things, and I've been to the movies ad nauseum, what I want to know is what else is there to do. I don;t drink alcohol or believe in mindless sex, so clubs are out- what else is there to do in Seoul? Ideas? And before the flames begin, I understnad that some people go to clubs to dance, but some people also read playboy for the articles...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiking is always fun and helps keep you in shape. There are lots of hiking trails in the Seoul area that are accessible by bus and subway.

In about a month or two, the weather will be nice enough to go to the Yellow Sea Islands.

Board game cafes. They're everywhere, cheap, and lots of fun.
Koreabound2004

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I lived in Seoul, I would be at the bookstores or temples, or eating good food....or exploring the subway system....as another poster said before somewhere, just get on the subway, and get off at a new stop and see what's there(maybe something different)....change of scenery can be nice. Or better that, get on a bus and go out to the countryside...for some fresh air. Smile
Saunagukin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out kscene.com(former Seoul Classified) for groups. They list the upcoming events...concerts, exhibitions, etc. You can find Korean lessons, RPG groups, Football clubs, theatre groups, lots of interesting groups to join. Craig's list has a couple of listings, too.

When the weather gets better, Ttuksom(sp?) resort is fun...line 7 just North of the Han. It's not really a resort, but the pool is fun and the park is nice. You can rent scooters and buzz around the boardwalk.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh you don't want to go to those clubs, most of them are just orgies with a beat

How about going to see a band, visiting a jazz club, joining a sports team, hiking up to a temple then staying overnight with the monks (beware though- morning prayers are at 3am), visiting noryangjin fish market, hitting the amusement parks (lotteworld, Seoulland etc.), taking up photography..
Grotto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been a big fan of going down to the park, waxing all the tree branches and watching the squirrels slip Wink Twisted Evil
Swiss James

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grotto wrote:
I have always been a big fan of going down to the park, waxing all the tree branches and watching the squirrels slip Wink Twisted Evil

GAY CODE ALERT! GAY CODE ALERT!
Grotto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real reason Swiss James is upset
Quote:
I live in Hongdae, Seoul- enjoy the occasional beer, spend roughly 25 hours a day on the Internet, and have never shot a squirrel. Ever.

He has a soft spot for squirrels Laughing

Code? What code?

Ahhhh I see only a gay knows the code.....sorry James I didnt mean to use your code. It was inadvertant, my apologies.
animalbirdfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get on a bus and just ride the circuit. Step off when you see something of interest. If nothing else, it'll eat up a few hours.
Demonicat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I sure got alot of responses back, but...well, though very kind, it wasn't what I meant. I was looking more for a "hey check out X in Jogno" or "Hey man, Seodaemun prison is awesome", or "Hmm, I always dig nakesungdae when I go there- especcially x". I appreciate everyones suggestions for ways to kill time- and massive props to those with the suggestions for the monastary, theme parks, and killing squirels in the park- I may just follow up on those ideas.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
peppermint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link for the temple stay program
http://www.templestaykorea.com/guide/

If you're musically inclined go to Nakwon arcade and experiment with a few instruments ( it's around where Insadong meets Jongno street )

Cherry blossoms will be out soon, drag your girl out to Yoido for a picnic or just to appreciate them.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then- go to the top of Insadong, hit a few balls at the batting cage, get your breath back whilst checking out the Old Tea House down one of the side streets on the right (with your back to Jongno- it's signposted from the main drag) then double back and walk along Jongno toward the Millenium plaza (i.e. turning right) and have a game of table tennis at the place where you see the sign with two table tennis bats.

Or have a look around the watch market at Jong-no-5-ga- you'll see some cool old chinese medicine and cheap electronic novelty stuff for sale on the way.

Go to the little park outside the Hong-Ik university gates (before the sun comes out and the sex predators emerge), they often have a market there at the weekend, and there are some unusual cheap restaurants surronding it.
Walk back down the hill and you can catch a bus (green number 8? Best to check the signs) from outside the Seokyo hotel which will take you through Sinchon and up to the Bongwonsa monastery. Great views over the city there and a mini-mountain to hike up, with outdoor ajossi gym equipment along the trail.
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're into out-door activities and adventure sports, check out these people:

www.adventurekorea.com
Saunagukin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a flower show in Goyang, April 16-30...if you are interested in flowers. It's very cool...if you are interested in flowers. www.flower.or.kr
for more info.
Demonicat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH!!!! This is what I was talking about! I'm probably going to do all of these (especially adventure Korea and the battign cages Razz ) . Anything else, oh you wise gurus of fun activities in Seoul/Korea?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: