Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Get a Korean Credit Card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wangja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the KEB card, I did the on-line application and they were most helpful. In the event, I was refused becuase my income, although 6 times more than their minimum requirement, was from an overseas company meaning I have no local contract and they were unable to verify.

But for a teacher (or anyone) with a local contract I can recommned this route. And it does not have to be a deposit based card, although they do offer that product.
slap it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: KEB Card Reply with quote

what's this deposit?
i applied for this card about 2 weeks ago online and just got it this morning without no deposit or some type of collateral. a lady stopped by and asked me to sign a few things and gave me my new EXPAT card.
after applying online, i got a call from a KEB consultant about two days later. she verified my employment with my company and asked me to fax her a copy of my ARC card and my last two payroll statements.
that's it. done. Confused
newinseoul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slap it - Where can I find out about the KEB expat visa card? Do you have a number or website? Thanks, it only took two weeks to get , Wow!
Universalis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the online application for a KEB Expat card yesterday and received a call today from a company rep. She told me that hagwon teachers aren't eligible for their card. Only University employees and, I assume, well-off foreign businessmen, are eligible.

There's something positively Orwellian about a so-called credit card for expats with a policy that effectively knocks off some 90% of the expat population (I'm taking into account hagwon workers, foreign laborers, international students, and every other group of foreigners that doesn't qualify) as ineligible. But as my friend mentioned, the important thing is that they look like their offering a service to the foreign community... and that's what really matters.

Brian

Last edited by Universalis on Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperHero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universalis wrote:
I did the online application for a KEB Expat card yesterday and received a call today from a company rep. She told me that hagwon teachers aren't eligible for their card.

There's something positively Orwellian about a so-called credit card for expats with a policy that effectively knocks off some 90% of the expat population as ineligible. BUt as my friend mentioned, the important thing is that they look like their offering a service to the foreign community... and that's what really matters.

Brian

90% of the expats in Korea are not hagwon teachers, but it is still stupid regardless.
kalbi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Platinum Card Reply with quote

Any one with a Platinum Amex, or Platinum Visa form Samsung? The onew with the hefty annual fees? Can you share any info about the perks and discounts associated with the card?
robb9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galbi,

I dont know about the platinum samsung card, but the platinum expat card comes with a lot of benefits. When I got my card it came with a free airline ticket to anywhere in Korea. One free night to the Hotel Shilla in Jejudo. It also comes with a priority pass card that enables you to go to first class lounges in the airport regardless of the class of your ticket. There are more benefits, but I think that they list them on the webpage. I think that the benefits far outway the annual fee of the card. I think its around 100,000 won.

robb
georgiadawg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: KEB Expat Experience Reply with quote

I have had several discussions with KEB regarding their new Expat Visa Card. Here is what I can gather...

1. It is only available to Hagwon teachers if their school is registered as a corporation. I was told (by the KEB phone representative) that Pagoda teachers and foreign employees of their headquarters have been approved.

2. All other hagwon teachers are excluded regardless of income, position, in-country teaching experience, history / reliability of their academy

3. They seem concerned over "franchised" operations where individual schools are privately owned (greater risk)

4. It is virtually impossible to get an appointment to sit down and talk with the credit approval team

Whereas the original newspaper article boasted "Card for all foreigners"... it certainly isn't the case.

If anyone else has any further info, it would be appreciated...
DHC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each bank , sometimes each brach of the same bank , has it's own policy concerning credit cards and foreigners. Alot usually depends on your work/credit history in Korea. Banks are very much aware of "midnight runs" and this does not bode well for foreigners.

In my case , I have lived and worked in Korea for eight years and am married to a Korean. We have a child born in Korea. I have a Kookmin Mastercard and a Citibank Visa card. Both are internationl cards good anywhere in the world where credit cards are accepted.
simonmanc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: KEB Yes Card Reply with quote

I applied for a KEB yes card (International Visa) around four weeks ago and it eventually arrived on Friday. This was after being declined for an ex-pat card because I work for a Hagwon. I took a Korean friend with me which was vital since initially the clerk had no idea of the procedure - fortunately he had previously called KEB bank and knew I was eligible for a card.

After an intitial discussion in Hangul, the procedure was relatively painless. I had to deposit some money in a current account and open another 'security account' which acts as a security deposit on the Visa card. The current account is just a regular current account and the second account is simply a fall back position for the bank should I decide to do a runner. The deposit money remains in that account until I choose to close it and then it's refunded in full + interest at that time. The credit card bills are paid on a date stipulated by me each month in the usual way. There are also various options on spreading payments etc - although I'm going to resist the temptation to spend enough to need this.

I needed:
1. Alien Registration Card
2. Passport

(No details from employer required)

The credit limit is 80% of the total money deposited in the 'security account' so effectively there is absolutely no risk on the part of the bank. As somebody else commented, I'm really treating this account as a savings account. Therefore, if you want to deposit more money - your credit limit increases.

Another great benefit is that it offers an internet banking service in English where you can check balance, transfer funds etc etc.

For me this card is ideal although if anyone has a contact number for the Samsung Amex, I'd love the benefits that go with that!!!

It took about 4 weeks to issue this card so be patient. There is an English website at http://www.yescard.com (click english menu).

I think I've mentioned everything. Good luck and any info on Samsung Amex would be appreciated.......

Simon
Wangja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinhan are marketing a "Manchester United" Mastercard.

I applied for a Gold one few weeks ago and collected the card today. It has a 26 million KRW limit of which 6.5 million can be incurred overseas.

(I didn't really need a(nother) card but was attarcted by the ever-so-subtle design)
peppero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied for the "One Card" visa from KEB just this week, and followed similar procedures to that described by Simon. The only differences were that I was told I would only wait 10 days for it (got a text message, actually, saying it was ready for pick-up today), and the limit would be 90% of my deposited amount.

I was also told that the interest rate for the deposit would be 4.2% per annum. Not too bad, actually, given that this is being held as a surety.

Smile

I didn't realize Gold card limits were so high. Maybe I should just keep depositing more money into this account. Smile
spliff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see this card on the website od you mean the 4 in 1 Yes card?
marcus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from trying to get a card from SC FirstBank.

They do have credit cards for foreigners but you have to make a term deposit equal to the limit on the card.

You can have a card with no limit on it as long as you give them an unlimited amount of money.
Mikhai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC First Bank doesn't do anything for Foreigners. I went to the Hwajon Dong Branch in Ilsan. They flat out refused to open an account. They said they do not offer banking services to foreigners. I have lived in Korea for going on three years. I had my arc card with me and my passport. The bank manager was very rude and said some really nasty things about foreigners. I wouldn't suggest anyone banking with that lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: