Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bachelor of science vs. Bachelor of Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
austhai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Bachelor of science vs. Bachelor of Arts Reply with quote

Does a BS carry the same weight as a BA ????

I notice all job ads say must have BA. If you have a BS is this the same?
weatherman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry a whole bunch about it. I have a BA in Geography and a MS in Geography and what they care about is the first word and not too much the second. I haven't had any problems. Plus so much of what they look for in teachers is how you look, and secondly your character. Your degree is to let them know what level of education you have finished.
That said, there is always the exception, only hope I don't meet it. My two cents, any others?

Last edited by weatherman on Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weatherman! I thought I was the only geographer on the planet. Now I don't feel so alone.

I think the only difference really between a BS and a BA is math/lab classes, and the BA is focused less on math and more on Arts (at least at my University).

Austhai, that's like worrying about your GPA...I don't think it really matters once you're done.
chaiplz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this thread is wicked old but I need to know.

What about a BFA???

Maybe I'm just stressing out over nothing, but does that 'F' in there make a difference?
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a BSc in physics and now work at a public school. From what I gather they didn't care what my degree was, just that it came from the right country
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaiplz wrote:
i know this thread is wicked old but I need to know.

What about a BFA???

Maybe I'm just stressing out over nothing, but does that 'F' in there make a difference?

As long as the parchment says BACHELOR OF.........

chaiplz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

As long as the parchment says BACHELOR OF.........

Hahaha ok Wink
N...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time poster,

Anyways planning on heading out in august time to try secure a years contract and was looking for some pointers and advice. I've spent a good few months researching and reading threads hopefully to gain a greater understanding on how to go about applying. However I have one question to put my mind at ease:

Will I be qualified enough to secure work?

*I currently hold a Bachelor's Degree a (Bsc) to be more precise (Cureently working towards my Honours).
*Full U.K Passport
*Full U.K Drivers Lisence
*20 Hours TEFL course
*No criminal convictions and therefore will have no problems getting my Disclosure forms

I regard myself as a mature 21 year old. I have worked in many different enviroments for my young age and believe I have great people skills. South Korea intrests me as I know a few people who have went out and worked there. Could someone please inform me of wether or not I would meet the criteria for gaining employment in South Korea?

Many thanks,

N...

(P.s I hope this is the correct area to post this message I thought it was due to the thread being based around BA and Bsc)
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N... wrote:
First time poster,

Anyways planning on heading out in august time to try secure a years contract and was looking for some pointers and advice. I've spent a good few months researching and reading threads hopefully to gain a greater understanding on how to go about applying. However I have one question to put my mind at ease:

Will I be qualified enough to secure work?

*I currently hold a Bachelor's Degree a (Bsc) to be more precise (Cureently working towards my Honours).
*Full U.K Passport
*Full U.K Drivers Lisence
*20 Hours TEFL course
*No criminal convictions and therefore will have no problems getting my Disclosure forms

I regard myself as a mature 21 year old. I have worked in many different enviroments for my young age and believe I have great people skills. South Korea intrests me as I know a few people who have went out and worked there. Could someone please inform me of wether or not I would meet the criteria for gaining employment in South Korea?

Many thanks,

N...

(P.s I hope this is the correct area to post this message I thought it was due to the thread being based around BA and Bsc)

(1) You have the actual parchment and it says "Bachelor of ...............".
(Photocopy it and get an apostille on the copy).

(2) You have a passport issued by the government of the UK. (hard to travel without a passport).

(3) You have (or will have at the time you start applying for jobs) a copy of your background check and it reports, "no derogatory comments". (Get an apostille on it. You have 6 months from date of issue till it expires).

You are good to go.

An "Honors degree" is NOT required. The simple bachelors degree is all that is required (BA, B.Sc, B.Comm, B.Ed. B.???).

Your TESOL is less than 100 hours so is effectively worthless.

N...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I was just thinking that I may have missed something out..

I was aware about the situation of the TEFL being not really worth anything but have been informed that it should not be a crucial matter. Hopefully all going to plan then I should be joining your ranks after the summer months.
Soju on me for yourself good Sir.

Would I also from my research be right in saying due to the TEFL situation I would be to be applying to a Hagwon instead of a State school?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N... wrote:
Would I also from my research be right in saying due to the TEFL situation I would be to be applying to a Hagwon instead of a State school?

No, this is NOT correct.

You do NOT need any TESOL/TEFL cert to work in Korea (PS or hagwan).

IF you get a 100hr cert you get a bump in your pay grade at a public school (and the salary raise to go with it - 1.2 million won in your 1st year).

Again, it is NOT necessary to work in a government school.

N...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much.
midnitexeclipse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bachelors of science and I haven't found it to hold any less weight. Its still a 4 year degree. While TEFL/TESOL/etc isn't required I would suggest it. After going through my course I can't imagine going to teach in South Korea without taking the course.
tausha12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will both work. You just need a bachelor degree.

Associates are rarely, rarely accepted here.
Botasky

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Arts BA. I just picked up my transcripts today and the university lost my year 2 transcripts, so they gave me a letter saying this was their fault. Do they need all 4 years worth?

Also, when I started the course it was a diploma course but after first year it was restructured to a 4 year degree. The guy in the office today changed year 1 for me to say it was a degree course to save any confusion, but the problem is that in the year 3&4 transcripts the only modules listed are 'creative practice' and 'critical studies'. It was all continuous assessment. Should any of this be a problem? And is it an issue that I got a 2.2?

Any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: