Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antidepressants?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andromeda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very concerned about the drug tests and prescrption antidepressants. I know that the whole subject is extremely taboo; it also appears to be a sure way to find yourself unemployed. Having said this, I am making sure I am not taking any type of prescreption med. It is a real pity, they (the medication) can be very helpful. I am just too afraid of the risks.
halophex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andromeda wrote:
I've been very concerned about the drug tests and prescrption antidepressants. I know that the whole subject is extremely taboo; it also appears to be a sure way to find yourself unemployed. Having said this, I am making sure I am not taking any type of prescreption med. It is a real pity, they (the medication) can be very helpful. I am just too afraid of the risks.

As a rule, just don't tell your employer or coworkers. Then be careful when it's time to do the medical check. After that, you're good. See a psychiatrist here in Korea and take your meds. Life is good.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halophex wrote:
Andromeda wrote:

As a rule, just don't tell your employer or coworkers. Then be careful when it's time to do the medical check. After that, you're good. See a psychiatrist here in Korea and take your meds. Life is good.

Thank You so much for the suggestions. I'm cool with keeping low about the medication; besides here, I never never never talk about-well you know what I'm talking about. The only thing I'm really afraid of the medical tests; would they notice the meds? What exactly does the medical check involve? Besides the meds, I'm extremely healthy.
The Sultan of Seoul

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't be testing for those meds, so they won't appear.
ahs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: update on counseling services at AHS (Spanish & Portugue Reply with quote

This is not a specific response to this thread but an updated list of the English therapy team at Adaptable Human Solutions. We have 2 therapy teams (native English & native Korean, and currently also Spanish & Portuguese) made up of licensed therapists with a variety of backgrounds. AHS abides by the strictest of N. American professional ethics; confidentiality is assured. AHS is not a medical facility but works with local psychiatrists for medication monitoring. All team members are trained and licensed in North America, and most were born and raised there. For more info, please visit us at ahskorea.com
Kiki6217

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that certain antidepressants can provide false positives. I was on Prozac but was switched to Zoloft because the half life is shorter and I could stop taking it or take a smaller dose for a shorter amount of time. Has anyone gone over on either of these medications? Did it affect your test at all?
HeatherG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the drug testing methods are the same in Korea and the US, but I take Paxil and had no problems with a drug test last year. I'd look it up just to be safe, though.
janelane85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: perscriptions - zoloft, seroquel Reply with quote

I am on the generic versions of zoloft and seroquel. From what I've read on here so far, it looks like I should definitely not tell my future employers that I'm on it. However, I am concerned because I will need to be on it while in South Korea. I guess I couldn't get it under the medical insurance provided by my school. What are my options? How does one get a years supply of these medicines? Should I just have my parents send it to me? Can I get it there? Are they really really expensive in SK?
HeatherG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPIK had a question on the form about mental health and wants a doctor's note. I don't want them to reject me, but I don't want to get arrested or fired if it somehow comes out that I lied on the application. Help, please.
Kiki6217

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeatherG wrote:
EPIK had a question on the form about mental health and wants a doctor's note. I don't want them to reject me, but I don't want to get arrested or fired if it somehow comes out that I lied on the application. Help, please.

I had been picked up by a recruiter and told them that I had OCD and had taken medication for it in the past but wasn't on it at the time, and that I had a note from my psychiatrist stating that she felt I was fit to teach English and live overseas. However, the recruiter still decided to drop my application (even after going through the interview) because they said it would be almost impossible for me to get a job or a visa. I personally haven't gone to Korea yet but it seems that many people have gone over to Korea and been on medication/seeking treatment for various mental health issues and have been fine. I just wouldn't tell anyone you work with about it.

Also, I don't think they would arrest you for it. I think they would just cancel your contract/visa and you would be forced to pay for your flights.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be wise to consider that none of drugs actually work.

Prozac, used by 40m people, does not work say scientists
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2008/feb/26/mentalhealth.medicalresearch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: