Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A warning for the Dutch.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigverne

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point he was trying to make is that the reason for allowing Turkey into the EU is fundamentally flawed. This is the premise that if Turkey is not let in, it will become a radical Islamist state. So, we are asked to take a gamble. Let Turkey in, and it might reform.

As the poster was pointing out, most Europeans would prefer not to pick up this particular hitchhiker.
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:
I think the point he was trying to make is that the reason for allowing Turkey into the EU is fundamentally flawed. This is the premise that if Turkey is not let in, it will become a radical Islamist state. So, we are asked to take a gamble. Let Turkey in, and it might reform.

As the poster was pointing out, most Europeans would prefer not to pick up this particular hitchhiker.

I was addressing the metaphor itself. Not the topic that it was allegedly being used to illuminate. I expect the man can answer my question regarding the metaphor (the example where he actually has the opportunity to make a personal decision) versus the larger political issue being discussed (where his decision, like my own, has little effect). Don't you? Very Happy Laughing Wink
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R. S. Refugee wrote:
bigverne wrote:

I was addressing the metaphor itself. Not the topic that it was allegedly being used to illuminate. I expect the man can answer my question regarding the metaphor (the example where he actually has the opportunity to make a personal decision) versus the larger political issue being discussed (where his decision, like my own, has little effect). Don't you? Very Happy Laughing Wink

Um, I would just keep driving. As I always do.
mithridates

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz
Leslie doesn't even understand his own metaphor~
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:
Razz
Leslie doesn't even understand his own metaphor~

But you understand it, don't you?

Anyway, I find it interesting that you raise the spectre of Islamic fundamentalism in an argument in which you, Mith, are trying to prove the opposite.

And what's with this '90% of Turkey's population is west of Cyprus' business? Like that somehow makes them more European than...what?

Yeah, 90% of humanity lives within 100 miles of the sea. I guess that makes us all fish. Rolling Eyes
mithridates

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually not trying to prove anything. I myself am just about in the middle when it comes to all discussions involving Islam, Israel, pretty much the whole of the Middle East. I have noticed that seemingly intelligent people just throw logic out the window when it comes to certain issues, and I suspect that this may be one of them for you. Not to say that you are wrong on the issue; for all I know letting Turkey in would be a big mistake. But thus far everything you've written on the subject is emotional, subjective, and completely lacking in statistical info.

I hope that doesn't come across as being mean. If you know something I don't, I would like to hear it. At the risk of repeating myself, I'll say it once again: I haven't decided what to think about this issue. That isn't a case of being lukewarm either. Sometimes both sides can be right, if they are done properly. Iraq, for example. Watch this:
-Coalition forces go in with a plan, build up infrastructure instantly after disbanding the regime, everyone's happy and they go home. The Iraq War was right.
-Coalition forces go in, take out the regime and screw everything up. Things are worse. The Iraq War was wrong.
-The international community lets Saddam do whatever he wants and he ends up launching chemical weapons into Israel when nobody was paying attention. There should have been an Iraq War.
-The international community works together and successfully disarms Saddam Hussein. The Middle East remains relatively stable and Kurds are doing good. Not having an Iraq War was a success.

The reason why I seem to be sitting on the fence so much is because it's not just the method one chooses, but also the way it's carried out that is so crucial.
mithridates

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for those who don't know the difference between a Turk and an Arab (not you, Leslie), Turkish is closer grammatically to Korean, and they're not so conservative. Let's look at one of their newspapers, www.gunes.com (The Sun):

There's the girl of the day (Günün Güzeli). Not as conservative as you might think. All the Turks I knew in Vancouver were just guys in their 20s who liked motorbikes, and the only Turkish girl I ever met was smokin'.
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking for "stats" is, forgive me, just an old high school debating tactic. What kind of stats are you interested in? Really? Hey, maybe it is just an emotional issue. And what's wrong with that? How does one quantify the instinct for survival?

As I've said before, the clash between Islam and the West is an existential struggle. The overall track record between the two civilizations is spotty at best and is just plain bad in present times. Who would argue otherwise?

I wanna see her stats so I can be convinced of her beauty. Laughing
mithridates

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, I'll explain to you once more.

-I haven't yet decided. I don't care which 'side' wins this debate.

-I would appreciate stats if you know any that support your position. Not specifically now, but whenever something comes to mind.

-It's not a debating tactic because I haven't chosen a side, and I really don't care if Turkey gets in or not. I care this much: .

Understand now?

Edit: No idea where that girl came from. Surprised Pretty sure she's not Turkish though. The girl I knew in Vancouver put her to shame.
guangho

Location: a spot full of deception, stupidity, and public micturation and thus unfit for longterm residency

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey has even ruled over much of Europe at one time. It certainly has ties to the continent. But what is the EU anyhow? I mean, what is the common thread that ties EU members together? Geography? Religion? Race? History?
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:
-I would appreciate stats if you know any that support your position. Not specifically now, but whenever something comes to mind.

My position is NO. And, no, I don't have to justify it. That burden falls on the Turks/Muslims.
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guangho wrote:
Turkey has even ruled over much of Europe at one time. It certainly has ties to the continent. But what is the EU anyhow? I mean, what is the common thread that ties EU members together? Geography? Religion? Race? History?

Pretty much all of those. And a common dislike of the Turks, remember.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I mean, what is the common thread that ties EU members together?

A case could be made for the EU to be notAmericans II.
rapier

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Africans and middle eastern nations are the serious problem as immigrants. Morrocans and Tunisians etc..definitely against the grain when in Europe. there should be strenuous efforts to stem the flood from those and other Arab countries.

Turks are a lot more western and European culturally- nominal muslims, a bit like the Albanians. Its 50/50 on allowing them in or no.

The rest? keep them well out of the EU in any shape or form. Eastern Europeans can fill the need for cheap labor now.
guangho

Location: a spot full of deception, stupidity, and public micturation and thus unfit for longterm residency

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mein Kampf is the number one selling book in Turkey at the moment which puts a damper on the whole modern, Western-oriented multiculti "we wanna be Europeans" spin coming out of Ankara. I mean it's not like MK is listed in the annals of great secular or Muslim literature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: