Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alright alright, let's be negative about korea then.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

matthewwoodford wrote:
Cedar wrote:
Give me a Korean man over a Western man anyday of the week. I can leave the reasons to your own imagination, so as not to hurt anyone's feelings.

Are you saying they're better in the sack? Or what are you saying?

Doubt it.

My g/f actually told me about this. She said Korean men are sweeter, but act like children. Also, western men are less likely to have some bad habits that she really doesn't like. One of them is (you guessed it) spitting. Also smoking. She doesn't like either of those.

I don't know about the sweet part. Maybe. I know many K girls who wouldn't mind dating a foreign man, but they get to stressed with the language gap, and culture gap, and sometimes pressure from their parents, they just don't do it.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read all the posts, only dipped and sampled.

The one thing above all others that bothers me about people here is that so many talk in 'ideals' as if they were facts.

Yes, it's a nice thing to love your family, but if you do love them, then I expect you to know what kind of company your dad works for and what your younger brother's major is in college.

Have any of the rest of you run across this? I'm not sure why it irritates me as much as it does, but it does. Just once I'd like to have an honest conversation where someone says, "I hate to go home on the weekends. My dad is a bigot. My mom is a shrew. My uncle is a nerd. My aunt is boinking every dude in the neighborhood. And my brother is in jail where he belongs."

I think about once a year I run into someone who is comfortable enough to say he/she is not close to the family because it is dysfunctional. It is SO refreshing not to hear the ususal sentimental pap.
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

So I was informed today by one of my best friends that he has ben fired by his school. He asked me for a translation of a legal document, and went to the labour board today. He has done nothing wrong except for working for a greedy bitch, and he has a strong case.

The guy at the labour office basically told him that he has a 10% chance of winning to case, and told him to accept the fact that he stands to lose almost 5 million won.

The corruption in this country never ceases to amaze me. This woman is getting away with bloody murder.
Homer

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the reason for firing him?
coolsage

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't dislike Korea, but after nearly seven years here, I'll never love it here either. While I've met individually some impressive and memorable people, I've found the society itself to be dysfunctional, dishonest, corrupt and shallow. I'm familiar with the resilient history of a people who've resisted the larger conquerers around, and that's worthy of respect, but what is unworthy of such people is that they so far seem incapable of developing manners that will not find them reviled by most people on the planet. The spitting has to go; that goes without saying. That's just a beginning, though. Learning how to enter and exit a simple doorway or an elevator seems beyond their capacity for courtesy. Don't get me started on their driving habits. A people unloved beyond their borders, and with justifiable reasons.
Homer

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolsage...

'A people unloved beyond their borders'.....this would make a good title for a book....hmmm.

This book could be written about: Americans (all over the globe now since Bush), Japanese (all over south east asia) , French (all over Africa), Russians (all over the former USSR)...heck...you could write a ton of books with that title.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bugs me the most is how the average Korean seems to have such a distorted view about, and distrust of 'foreigners', expecting the worst from them. And in that vein observing 'the foreigner' and talking about them in a focused 'well, would you look at that' way while chortling and guffawing, for want of anything better to do apparently, as if it's for sport. And this 'fine' business. And overcharging foreigners. But it's all good or I wouldn't be here complaining Laughing
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
What was the reason for firing him?

Because his contract is almost up, and he stands to get severance.
Homer

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got no warning?

He did a good job (which could be substantiated by co-workers)?

If that is the case then he has a strong case with the labor board if he is willing to put some effort into it....like all bureaucracies this one moves slowly!
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
He got no warning?

If that is the case then he has a strong case with the labor board if he is willing to put some effort into it....like all bureaucracies this one moves slowly!

The guy at the labour board laughed at him, and told him he had no case.

Since his visa has been cancelled, he has very little time to do this, and he may have to extend his visa in Japan to fight it, at his own cost of course.

He has no witnesses to the final altercation, since his director set it up that way.

To be honest, Korea has done me well. I have done better than average. Just things like this get me down. It could be me next. I have to protect myself from things like this, by being a dick and not trusting anyone. I don't want to do that.
Derrek

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: yes Reply with quote

Ilsanman wrote:
Homer wrote:
He got no warning?

The guy at the labour board laughed at him, and told him he had no case.

Since his visa has been cancelled, he has very little time to do this, and he may have to extend his visa in Japan to fight it, at his own cost of course.

He has no witnesses to the final altercation, since his director set it up that way.

To be honest, Korea has done me well. I have done better than average. Just things like this get me down. It could be me next. I have to protect myself from things like this, by being a *beep* and not trusting anyone. I don't want to do that.

Exactly!

Korea has turned me into a person who doesn't trust people, spits in public, and pushes through tight groups of people (even not so tight groups).

I realized all of this while in Thailand last weekend -- my manners suck now.
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

Yeah, I burp in public, stare at foreigners, never say sorry or excuse me, and amny other things I need to stop doing before I go home.

If I pushed people in my hometown like that, I'd get punched.
sparkx

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Korea has turned me into a person who doesn't trust people, spits in public, and pushes through tight groups of people (even not so tight groups).

Quote:
Yeah, I burp in public, stare at foreigners, never say sorry or excuse me, and amny other things I need to stop doing before I go home.

Reason #127 why you will never see Sparkx at a Dave's ESL Cafe get together
just because

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkx wrote:
Reason #127 why you will never see Sparkx at a Dave's ESL Cafe get together

What are the first 126 reasons in order from 1 to 126 please. Smile
sparkx

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture speaks 126 words...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: