Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tax rate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jadles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chat to him and told him that I shouldn't be paying 3.3%. He asked me where I got my information and then said that his accountant does all the pay.

I asked him to check it out, and that I need receipts for my tax being paid to the department. He said that will be fine but I am going to have to wait until next month coz he isn't going to have me pay tax for this month!!!

Sooo... we'll see how it goes early NEXT month!!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadles wrote:
I had a chat to him and told him that I shouldn't be paying 3.3%. He asked me where I got my information and then said that his accountant does all the pay.

I asked him to check it out, and that I need receipts for my tax being paid to the department. He said that will be fine but I am going to have to wait until next month coz he isn't going to have me pay tax for this month!!!

Sooo... we'll see how it goes early NEXT month!!

Not paying tax this month?? HMMM... me thinks that there never was any tax paid on your behalf. Means no pension or medical either.
jadles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea- He hasn't paid any because I have only been here for 1 month.

Im not too fussed about the pension because I'm from NZ so I can't get it back anyway, however I would rather just pay the right amount of tax and not need to worry about being screwed by the tax man!

I guess I'll find out what is going on with it all next month.
Scaggs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does this 3.3% number come from? It seems like many many employers try to charge this.
Darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I was taxed W72,600 when I should have been taxed only W39,800 according to that website.

I dont think I'm paying pension, or health either.....

How do I bring this up with my boss??

dammit
k777a

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Help, I messed up! Reply with quote

Embarassed
I am about to finish my first year contract here in Daegu. I chose the worst hagwon to work for. I signed a dirty contract. My fault. Long story short, the contract stated a 7% income tax. On a 1.9 salary I have been taxed over 1.5 over the past year.
Question, do I deserve the tax?
I went to the tax office and like the IRS there are obstacles to overcome. They would not help me without my director or owner present.
Question, how can I see if they're actually submitting taxes on me?
I heard there's no difference between a Korean National and a foreigner paying taxes, no difference of tax rates I mean.
I just need some clarification and a good tax attorney. Please help!
valkerie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Why do jobs advertise a 5% tax rate? Reply with quote

This is in an ad. I just read. Bog standard money too.

Considering that people here very kindly provide links too many sources which clearly state this is wrong...why blatantly put it in an ad?

Is it likely that the teacher would get a good lump sum back at the end of the tax year if they paid 5%? Or am I dreaming?
elliemk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Documents needed for tax exemption Reply with quote

Can anyone provide the exact documents needed for the first two years' tax exemption for U.S. citizens working in Korea. Thanks very much.
mikowee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read in a few other places that the last month's payment gets boosted into a higher tax bracket because of the severance. I've also read that severance pay shouldn't be taxed at all. Does anyone have accurate up-to-date information?
seoulis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gif
Gunther

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scaggs wrote:
Where does this 3.3% number come from? It seems like many many employers try to charge this.

Just spoke to the guy at the National Tax Service... and the Tax rate for teachers at private academy's is 3.3%, because you are regarded as an independent contractor.
As for teachers working at schools and universities it is much less, between 1.45%~2% of your salary...
CasiX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Random tax question Reply with quote

How do I KNOW that my director is paying tax, and medical for me?
syi012

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info everyone
nomad-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunther wrote:
Scaggs wrote:

Just spoke to the guy at the National Tax Service... and the Tax rate for teachers at private academy's is 3.3%, because you are regarded as an independent contractor.

i've read that it's illegal to be considered an independent contractor on an E2 visa (which applies to the majority of English teachers in Korea).
RoyBatty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee thanks for the info! (this is really just to hit the 25 message mark so I can freakin' PM people)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: