Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Andong, tell me what it's like

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kojangee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Andong, tell me what it's like Reply with quote

Just curious, folks.

Anyone in Andong, or can anyone tell me good things or bad things about Andong.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
masuro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Andong for two years and loved it. There are lots of things to do and if you get out of the city (that doesn't take long) there's lots of beautiful scenery. It's only an hour and a half from Taegu so you can do some 'foreigner shopping'. I advise getting a car so you can do some sightseeing in comfort. Relying on the buses is not a good idea.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.andong.go.kr/eng/index.asp

http://www.lifeinkorea.com/Travel2/73

http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/1045a2/
magill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: andong Reply with quote

Andong is a very traditional area, this has its advantages and drawbacks-it really depends on your personal tastes. In the last few years a lot of hagwons have opened up, meaning there are a lot more foreign teachers there. So you can find some friendship, although a lot centers around drinking at bars with the same old people doing the same old thing.
The Korean people are very traditional, but they have retained a lot of tradtional values such as honesty and warmheartedness. On the downside, don't expect many modern or fresh views in Andong. There is not much to do I am afraid, it can get boring. Unless you are a total nature freak, there is only so much wandering around the countryside looking at temples and confucious schools that you can do. If you are into dating it will take around a year for people to feel comfortable enough with you to get involved in romantic interludes, although most Koreans would be happy to go out on a friendly basis. The men in Andong are very conservative and most of the women are tired of putting up with their attitude and dream of escaping to Seoul.
Anda

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um, the university has a bad name there to work for. Quite a bit has come on the board over a number of years on it and its been all bad.
The city isn't industrialized much so the air is good for a city. You should have no complaints there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: