Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

axis and allies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endofthewor1d

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: axis and allies Reply with quote

in my unending quest to occupy time out here in gyonggi do, i've decided to make a giant axis and allies board. i downloaded the map from the internet and i bought some of that foamy rubber stuff you can get at craft stores. when i'm done, the map should be about five times the size of the regular map, which is already pretty big. i'll have to play on the floor.

when i'm finished with the map, i'll need to make game pieces. i figure i could use plastic army men for the infantry. that should be easy enough to get. but what about all of the other stuff? industrial complexes shouldn't be all that challenging. but what about armors, bombers, fighters, battleships, submarines, transports, carriers, and anti-aircraft guns? does anyone have any ideas? thanks for sharing!
Cohiba

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: A&A Reply with quote

Dude, you really need to get out of this lovely country!!!
christopher1magelli

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: They have nothing to do... Reply with quote

I can rent these guys out to ya...A bottle of soju a week!

kprrok

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see that when you're finished.

I've been playing that game since I was about 8. Love it. I've got the original computer game and I've beat it so often and so quickly that I'm having to handicap myself (like US vs the world) so a game will take more than 30 minutes! I have it down to beating the Axis in a world domination game in 28 minutes, 11 rounds by playing Russia with the Axis at 5-Star and the other Allies at 3-star.

You seen the new game? Is it any good?

KPRROK
endofthewor1d

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kprrok wrote:
I want to see that when you're finished.

I've been playing that game since I was about 8. Love it. I've got the original computer game and I've beat it so often and so quickly that I'm having to handicap myself (like US vs the world) so a game will take more than 30 minutes! I have it down to beating the Axis in a world domination game in 28 minutes, 11 rounds by playing Russia with the Axis at 5-Star and the other Allies at 3-star.

You seen the new game? Is it any good?

KPRROK

i haven't played the computer game. i've only ever played on the board. i'll let you know how things turn out. if this project ever does come to fruition, the next project will be to find someone who actually wants to take five or six hours out of their lives to come play it with me.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not sculpt the pieces you need? Arts stores have all kinds of clay--from stuff dug out of the ground to synthetic types that will harden on their own or if you bake it in an oven.
kprrok

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:
Why not sculpt the pieces you need? Arts stores have all kinds of clay--from stuff dug out of the ground to synthetic types that will harden on their own or if you bake it in an oven.

You obviously don't know how many pieces would be needed. For a basic minimum set (and you'd need 1 set for each of the 5 nations), you'd need 20 infanty units, 10 armor units, 10 fighter units, 3 bomber units, 6 submarine units, 6 transport units, 3 battleship units, and 2 aircraft carrier units. That's a lot, plus you'd need about 15 or so Industrial complexes, and another 15 or so Anti-Aircraft guns.

Then take into account that for better players, you will also need some sort of chip to denote additional units beyond those already in play. The standard set comes with something like 150 white chips (denoting 1 extra unit) and 20 or so red chips (denoting 5 units).

That's a whole lotta sculpting! Granted, that would kill plenty of time.

KPRROK
endofthewor1d

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:

thanks for the advice. i thought about that. but i don't think i'm a talented enough sculptor to make them look not crappy.

i wonder if i could use plastic coke and beer bottle caps for any of the units. i've got billions of them.
Grotto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh Axis and Allies.

I prefer Shogun
endofthewor1d

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grotto wrote:
Ahhh Axis and Allies.

I prefer Shogun

shogun is cool, but i like the drama of world war ii. there were a lot of interesting characters on both sides.
Dan The Chainsawman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am game to give it a field testing, haven't played in years but sounds like a blast.
Grotto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Axis and allies is that the game is skewed for the allies to win every time. The axis need the allies to make some mistakes in order to win.

I found the computer opponent totally inept, even at the most difficult levels.
chiaa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the metal caps of glass bottle cokes. In each cap you can then melt some colored wax into it. If you want, I will start saving up my caps for you. I drink two of those bad boys a day at least.
kprrok

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grotto wrote:
The problem with Axis and allies is that the game is skewed for the allies to win every time. The axis need the allies to make some mistakes in order to win.

I found the computer opponent totally inept, even at the most difficult levels.

Back when I was younger and playing with my friends, we were pretty evenly matched no matter what side we were playing on. It'd go about 50/50 most of the time. In the long run, I'd say the Axis won more often as long as the dice weren't completely cruel to us!

I agree about the AI in the computer version. I play the Iron Blitz edition and it's getting to where it's boring. I see there is a new version out that is "real-time" or something like that where everyone is going at the same time. That could be interesting. Anyone know about it?

KPRROK
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The giant board sounds quite interesting.

There are alternate rules for Axis and Allies out there on the Web designed to even things up for the Axis. The simplest (and official) ones are:

-Weapons Development Benefits: The German player starts with
Jet Power, and the Japan player starts with Super Subs.
-Restricted Attack: The USSR player is not allowed to attack
until the second turn.
-No New Complexes: No new industrial complexes can be bought
or placed. Only original complexes can be used.

I've found restricted attack is the most balanced one.

Regarding the computer game--it's useless. The computer can't plan effective strategy and makes too many obvious mistakes. Even with victory conditions and dificulty level heavily tilted against me the computer was inept and couldn't win. A lousy product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: