Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X-Box PS2 etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ripzone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: X-Box PS2 etc Reply with quote

Will my Canadian bought xbo work in korea. I have an power converter, so thats good. I 'm just looking for informatio regarding the quality of the tv that will be there and if it will have the appropriate outlets to receive my consoles wires. Thanks. Also does anyone know the location of a good gym in ulsan
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things that connect to TVs generally are specific to a particular zone. North America is part of Zone 1 (NTSC), Europe is in Zone 2 (PAL), and Korea is in Zone 3. The reason is because the TVs are different in each zone, so TV attachments such as DVD players and video game consoles are designed specifically for a particular zone. If you bought the X-Box in Canada, it is probably designed on the NTSC (Zone 1) Format, and therefore should only work with North American TVs. If you took your Canadian TV with you as well, it should work, provided that you get an electric current converter, which are easy to get. But you probably wouldn't be able to use your Canadian TV for anything except the X-Box, because it wouldn't be compatible with the systems/signals in Korea.
stargazer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Cdn.TVs in Korea Reply with quote

I took a Canadian TV to Korea and it worked fine plugged into a transformer
Ripzone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Well bringing a tv to korea doesnt really work for me so is there a device available to convert the xbox i have ontoa korean tv.
Grim Ja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe korea also uses {ntsc} since my vcr and camcorder are from the states and they work fine. I also know of people who brought play stations with them and they work on the tv's no problem. But if you want to play local DVD's then you will find the regional codes taking effects. also you kind find many copied play station games for cheap.
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct answer is this:

Your Xbox display an image on a Korean TV without a problem.

The only thing you will have to do is pick up a power transformer when you get here. They range from $15 to $30 CA$, and then you're set.

Sidenote: Microsoft has territory codes on the Xbox, thus Xbox games sold in Korea (Korean releases and those imported from Japan) will not run on your Xbox.

Further sidenote: The Xbox has been a market failure in Japan, so there are few Japanese games available. Compared to the rollout in Korea, the washout in Japan looks like a feeding frenzy. There currently are very few games to choose from in Korea, and the release schedule is horrendous.

If you are planning on buying games here and having more than one game a month come out to choose from, you'll have to pick up a PS2. There's even an ISP that if you sign up for a year of ADSL, they'll give you a PS2 for half-price ($170 Canadian including tax).

If you want to use your Xbox online, you'll need to purchase the Xbox live from Canada (it's not on sale here yet, and if it were it would not work with your unit), and a router that logs you onto the Internet instead of a direct connect through your computer.

That said, I own an Xbox and Tekki/Steel Battalion. The mech game with the giant assed super controller that weight ten pounds. That, and a PS2 with a number of games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: