Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for martial arts for adults in suwon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philinkorea

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: looking for martial arts for adults in suwon Reply with quote

hi there
i've been training in taekwondo for a few months in a private class. i'm starting to think its not that good as the guy who trains me is making a special effort to come in and doesnt seem that bothered. i've been going almost 4 months and he's suggested me having my black belt test which seems like a joke but said you just need to know these 8 patterns and spar for a minute.
i really want to train properly in taekwondo or another martial art as i've heard there are other good ones with a descent instructor.
if anyone can help i'd be appreciated. i work 1:30 - 8:10 so need outside these times preferably earlier
thanks a lot
phil
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: training Reply with quote

Hi;
I have extensive experience in MA....so I thought I would chuck two cents at ya.
In TKD 4-6 months is not unusal here to test for your BB. Yes the first 8 form ('poomse') and a light sparring session..that's the show.

I spent years training self defense; now that I am here I too am trying TKD. Its not self defence...make no mistake. It's not no matter who tells you what. Its a sport orientated martial art.
I train with a couple of kids who wouldn't even get to hold the kicking shields back home. Yet they are 2nd dan.

Your instructor is coming in to train you, well hey that's not too bad. What are you looking for? TKD is moot if you want fitness. If you want to smoothly block and apply pressure to 'Gall Bladder 7' then I recommend you move on to another system.

What do you mean by training properly? Its easy to get the first few levels and the tests are a breeze...just a popular way it is I guess.

My instructor is brutal for punishment but the students form is laughable. No stability in the stance, their blocks are not coordinated with their movement nor do they cover the vital areas.....but that's a topic for another forum!

Anyhow best of luck, just so you know I don't think you are being short changed with the instruction. Seems comparable to what I have seen elsewhere.
hahaha
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Taekwondo goes by like lightning or something. I spent 9 months doing Hapkido and am still technically blue belt...
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: lightning Reply with quote

Hey;

In my opinion there is not much depth to the initial stages of TKD. The first 8 form although said to be old Korean are clearly Japanese
(Look at the time period that TKD was 'created' *read copied* - linear stance and attacks developed from the Japanese sword techniques. A style with close ties geographicaly to China would have retained the circular motions and movement distinct to that region.)

...without so much as an inkling of application being taught.

For example a kiup/ ki is uttered on the strike but never on the block. This shows a lack of understanding as to limit a move to a particular idea or function limits the scope of martial developement. (a block is a lock is a blow is a throw).
Another is the exercise of kicking while moving backwards. No reason as there can be no power delivered unless your hips are moving forward. Even to use this as a 'check' against your opponent you must be stationary until after the kick.

These examples show just a glimmer of the difference between defense and sport.
Your 9 months and blue belt comment seem more in tune with a practical 3-4 year degree program. I am not familiar with the ranking system of Hapkido however.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my samunim was trying to hurry up and get me to black belt, but that didn't go so well. There's too many hoshinsoo and various non-kicking thingies.

Granted, I'm not big on TKD in the first place, heh.

Ontopic: Just walk around in Suwon and look for places. I think you just picked a bad gym to study it. Find another place and start up there. Each gym has their own little philosophies and crap that the samunim wants to focus on.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akido, hapkido, maybe even gum-do or wu-shu???

there are other choices here, too, focusing on wrestling.

Probably what would be best is to have a korean friend write you a letter of introduction, explaining what you want/expect. That will at least make your motives clear.

I had friends get their BB in TKD in Chang-won, but for each one, it was about a year of serious study (although, again, the 'tests' were a joke). Foreigners are sometimes matched with a ringer, though! good stuff! Twisted Evil

Also, finally consider if you want to study/learn/master a hard or soft style. that will make a difference, too.

Regards,

G.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: