Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Original diploma or notarized copy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i can say is go with the extra effort to get a notarized copy of your degree. from my experience, currently when the degrees were being handed back to other ESL teachers after orientation, their degrees were ripped and folder. So many upset people!
but i guess you can always order another one. but than again thats a lot of trouble too. for me anyways,
dogshed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xox wrote:
all i can say is go with the extra effort to get a notarized copy of your degree. from my experience, currently when the degrees were being handed back to other ESL teachers after orientation, their degrees were ripped and folder. So many upset people!
but i guess you can always order another one. but than again thats a lot of trouble too. for me anyways,

Even if I got a replacement degree it would not be the one I got when I graduated.

The Koreans must learn. The degree goes on the wall to make mom happy and the sealed transcript sent from the school proves I graduated. -Jeff
dogshed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Diploma or Notarized Copy of Diploma Reply with quote

Park English wrote:
Hello.

My name is Cessilia and I have been recruiting for over 2 years now and currently processing teachers to this day.

We deal with immigration every day and although they have recently made changes to some regulations, a notarized diploma is STILL acceptable.

When we work with teachers, we suggest sending their original diploma to save time and money, as well as to prevent chances of complications.

We suggest teachers to send it by a safe courier - DHL or Fedex ONLY as you can track it online with us. Your diploma should be returned to you BY YOUR EMPLOYER once your visa is processed.

Now, please make sure that you are getting your diploma notarized by the Korean Consulate ONLY. At times, teachers will have it notarized by a lawyer or their university, but that will not suffice.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

At some point someone used the word "notarized" and I think that is part of the problem. The word notarize is just for verifying a signature. Certification is probably a better word for what the consulate does with our degree. Somewhere I saw a post where a guy asked his consulate to notarize his degree and the consulate sent him to a notary.

It would be better if they would accept alternatives to the degree like a letter of graduation or transcript sent from the school. It's hard to fake something shipped directly from the school and my mother won't freak out about my degree leaving her house. -Jeff
the dakota kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Hmm, may I have my degree notarized overseas? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am going to Germany for vacation this next week, but I will be visiting Berlin and I would like to have my degree notarized there, mainly because the closest consulate is about 15-16 hours away....yes, North Dakota is isolated. Does anyone think this will be possible? I sent the embassy and consulate emails requesting this, but I have not heard back from them.

Anyone ever done this before?
tdk
dogshed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hmm, may I have my degree notarized overseas? Reply with quote

the dakota kid wrote:
Hello all,

I am going to Germany for vacation this next week, but I will be visiting Berlin and I would like to have my degree notarized there, mainly because the closest consulate is about 15-16 hours away....yes, North Dakota is isolated. Does anyone think this will be possible? I sent the embassy and consulate emails requesting this, but I have not heard back from them.

Anyone ever done this before?
tdk

There is a previous post in this thread where someone was able to take their degree to the wrong consulate and still get the copy certified.

I say try it. Act like you didn't know any better and maybe they will feel sorry for you.

If it doesn't work then you can pay a bunch of FedEx fees. I think I spent about $50 on FedEx for certifying 3 copies of my degree (I read somewhere it's good to have extras.), about $55 for shipping the copy to Korea and then another $50 in FedEx for the visa.

And another note. My recruiter said original in their email and I sent a certified copy. They took it. -Jeff
Hope

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to have your degree notarized in Korea?
dogshed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest cost for me was the fedex fees. Go ahead and get 3 or 4 done at the same time so you will have them if one gets lost or you want a future job. -Jeff
daz1979

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

After a few people have pm'd me regarding the notarization process in the UK, I thought I would post my experience on here..

Ok,

Step 1 - Make many photocopies of your degree.

Step 2 - Take copies of your degree as well as the original to a registered Public Notary office. Although this sounds simple it was a complete nightmare for me. Nobody had any idea what they needed to do to the copies and as a result, I was quoted ridiculous amounts of in excess of �180.00 for this service. In the end, I found solicitors in Leeds that did it for me 5 copies for �5.00! Bargain! All they did was stamp and sign each copy to say they had seen the original.

Step 3 - Send notarized copies to Korean Embassy in London accompanied with:

Stamped Addressed Envelope
Covering Letter
Original Degree
Copy of passport page (back page)
A cheque for �1.10 per copy. e.g. 5 copies = �5.50

The Korean Embassy state that this will take 3 - 5 days to be processed!

If the Korean Embassy state that they can notarize your documents, do not take this as gospel as I was told the exact same thing only to be later told that I need to have it stamped first by a Chamber Of Commerce or Public Notary.

For the record, Chamber Of Commerce do not confirm the authenticity of documents unless it is for a registered business with a valid company registration number, so to avoid wasting time please pay no attention to the Embassy when they say that you can have your documents notarized at the Chamber Of Commerce.

Hope all this helps anyone who is in the UK. It is a simple process if you can find a Public Notary easily or perhaps if you live in London near the Embassy.

Good luck!
Don Mario

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Degree or No degree Reply with quote

The emails I got from the job placement agency in Korea said
the original degree. The school gave me an email and said
a notarized copy.

Get your original paper, hang on the wall degree from your
alma matter. Dont take any flack that they don t have to
give it to you. Say it is a matter of life and job prospects
or welfare. You earned it, it is your property, not your
universities.

After getting over this hurdle of getting it sent to you wherever you live,
take it to a Notary Public, get it stamped locally, then take it
to the nearest South Korean Consulate or the Embassy (usually
in the biggest, capital city).

I was in Guadalajara, the Consulate and they sent it free of charge
for courier to Mexico City. It cost me all f $2 USD, 2 paper bills.

It came back a week later, ink stamped, signed, and with 2 S. Korean
stamps. Looks very official.

That is what you send in a courier envelope to the Immigration
in Korea. The job placement agency, or your school will make sure
it gets there.

Never had any problems since.

You keep the original degree in your hands and put it in your luggage.

Good luck

DM
m10z10n

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Will notarized copy suffice? Reply with quote

I have heard from one recruiter that in June of 2007 the Korean immigration changed the law and now require original degree? But some recruiters say either or will suffice?? I am LOST! Any help/advise will be great!
m10z10n

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Will notarized copy suffice? Reply with quote

I have heard from one recruiter that in June of 2007 the Korean immigration changed the law and now require original degree? But some recruiters say either or will suffice?? I am LOST! Any help/advise will be great!
the dakota kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Diploma notarization in a foreign country? Reply with quote

All,

I realized that I never posted my results from my attempt last year in Germany....it took quite a while to find the darn embassy and they were not able to verify the diploma. They may have been able to at some other time, but no one was at the US Embassy office, due to Thanksgiving...gobble, gobble..

tdk
dogshed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Diploma notarization in a foreign country? Reply with quote

the dakota kid wrote:
All,

I realized that I never posted my results from my attempt last year in Germany....it took quite a while to find the darn embassy and they were not able to verify the diploma. They may have been able to at some other time, but no one was at the US Embassy office, due to Thanksgiving...gobble, gobble..

tdk

US Embassy? You are supposed to get it certified by the Korean Embassy.
the dakota kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogshed,

point of clarification, they, the Koreans, needed to contact someone in the US Embassy for further details. I failed to remember the Thanksgiving holiday during that week. No worries tho, I would rather have a Doener kebab than a dry turkey sandwich, with mayo, on white bread anyday.

The US embassy is Ueber-easy to find in Berlin, the SK embassy is on the third floor of an old office building in downtown "West Berlin"...I am sure it was quite nice in the 1970's....

tdk/Dustin
spirit2110

Location: I am with Dan Druff. Nice guy, you should meet him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: PLEASE help Reply with quote

Is there anyone else having the same problems as me? I have gone through the process of having my diploma notarized by a notary public (within New York State where I'm from) then I took it the NYS Department of State where it was stamped with an Apostile (sp?) seal.

I called/walked in person to the Korean consulate in New York City and was turned away - both times I was told that as of JULY 7, 2007 the rules had changed and my diploma NO LONGER NEEDED certification/consular seal from a Korean Consulate.

So, I send in my notarized/apostile copy of my diploma to the recruiter and - OF COURSE - she says it's no good and that I do need some sort of authentication from the Korean Consulate!

I call the Korean Consulate AGAIN and AGAIN they say that they cannot help me since the "rules have changed"

I see that some people are not experiencing this - probably due to location since I am in New York. What do I do?? Clearly, someone has their wires crossed here but short of just sending in my original to make this all go away I am really out of options!

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: