Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yongsan Shopping Guide- 10 Year Thread! - Upd 2/2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The QWERTY/Hangul keyboard issue isn't all that big of a deal. External keyboards can be had for less than $5 or 5000w. I hate laptop keyboards anyway for serious typing - I took my Korean laptop to Thailand for a CELTA course in August and bought a cheap 100 baht ($3) Thai/QWERTY keyboard to use for the month - and left it there. They're now cheaper than batteries.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Saturday I'm planning to go looking for a second hand Pentium 3 PC and monitor, where should I be looking?
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunin Plaza, 2nd and 3rd floors - it's two hallways, one above the other, at the back of the building. When you see all the used stuff out on tables in front of the small workshops - with pricetags on them - you're in the right place.
TJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Digital camera prices in Korea Reply with quote

I bought a Pentax digital camera tax free when I departed Australia for Korea. I thought I got a good price until I saw the same model in Techo Mart for the equivalent of AU$200 less than I paid in Aus.

That was a big surprise as last year I found HP scanners and printers to me more expensive here in Korea than in Australia.

It just goes to show that you can always find a better price AFTER you have bought something.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Digital camera prices in Korea Reply with quote

TJ wrote:
I bought a Pentax digital camera tax free when I departed Australia for Korea. I thought I got a good price until I saw the same model in Techo Mart for the equivalent of AU$200 less than I paid in Aus.

That was a big surprise as last year I found HP scanners and printers to me more expensive here in Korea than in Australia.

It just goes to show that you can always find a better price AFTER you have bought something.

This is a recent thing. Prices for digital cameras have crashed in Korea, for many brands. You'll do even better with on-line Korean sites than you will at YM or Yongsan, though.
shortie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Yongsan today, looking to buy a digital camera. I had no problems with the guy matching the online prices, actually he beat the price. Just wanted to share the good news.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortie wrote:
I went to Yongsan today, looking to buy a digital camera. I had no problems with the guy matching the online prices, actually he beat the price. Just wanted to share the good news.

Hey, good to hear! What camera? And care to plug the store here?
shortie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I didn't purchase a camera, because he told me that the Sony DSC-T1 wasn't all that good. I called the price 500,000 wons (the lowest at the time I found on the Internet was 510,000), which he said ok at once. I think you can actually go lower. However, he discouraged me from that cam. He actually took pics with the cam and showed me other digital cams on the computer. He also told me that he wouldn't rip me off because I mentioned that I was from the US and didn't know other cams in US dollars and he told me that I could look online. It was in the building (I think) of the bus terminal. The glass building to the left, walking up for Yongsan or Sinyongsan, on the opposite of Sunin His name is Cha Joo Hyun. Tell him Joo Hyun(I've got the same Korean name as him) sent you. I told him a few of my friends were interested. I still haven't made up my mind on which cam to get. So I didn't purchase anything. Oh, as soon as you go up the escalator he's on the center-left (2nd floor). Maybe it was my wonderful girlish charm(I'm a Korean-American) he fell in love with. Anyways, I don't think he's going to rip you off. As long as you know your prices. As for cams... I know a lot of people here told me Canon A80 or A70, but for a girl.. what would you recommend. Sony T1... I did my research, and because of his advice... I'm looking into something with more clarity. I wouldn't mind manual options. Although my close friends have mentioned I wouldn't use them as much. Would you still go for the A80? Canon Ixus 400? The salesperson mentioned Panasonic Fx-5. It was clear (he showed me on the computer) and it had an anti-shake (er... at this moment I can't remember what that feature is called. The cam has only been out for 2 weeks according to him. He also mentioned that it was a hit in Japan.) for 4 megapixel. Ah... I have no idea. What do you think? 640,000 for the cam (Panasonic fx-5) plus 256mb SD card... I think I can call lower. Or another cam?
Sydney Rooster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortie, I have the Canon A80 and it is a very good camera.. The Ixus 400 is better though and even more compact. Sony digital camera's look great but there picture quality doesn't match that of Canon or Fujifilm..

When I was in Yongsan in March, the Canon Ixus 400 was going for around 440,000 (ticketed price) from memory.. I am sure you could haggle it down further easily. I was dissapointed that I paid alot more for my Canon A80 in Australia.. Electronics are much cheaper in Korea than Australia.

As to Mp3 players Lemon or anybody else who has been to Bangkok in recent times, would they be likely to be cheaper in Pantip Plaza than in Yongsan? I will be stopping off in Bangkok on my way to Seoul in less than 2 weeks. Appreciate your help guys..
The Lemon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
would they be likely to be cheaper in Pantip Plaza than in Yongsan?

Good question. My first answer: I don't know.

I do know that MP3 and MP3/CD players in Yongsan (or Korea in general) are not a good deal compared to what they are in the US or Canada (how about Australia?). But Thailand, and Pantip in particular? Check out the Korean prices online. Go to Pantip and expect the price will be substantially less than it is in Korea. If I'm wrong and it's not, buy it here when you arrive in Seoul.
Sydney Rooster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
Quote:
would they be likely to be cheaper in Pantip Plaza than in Yongsan?

Good question. My first answer: I don't know.

I do know that MP3 and MP3/CD players in Yongsan (or Korea in general) are not a good deal compared to what they are in the US or Canada (how about Australia?). But Thailand, and Pantip in particular? Check out the Korean prices online. Go to Pantip and expect the price will be substantially less than it is in Korea. If I'm wrong and it's not, buy it here when you arrive in Seoul.

Thanks Lemon for advice.. Much appreciated Smile MP3 players are expensive in Australia, though the Australian Dollar has fallen around 10% in the last couple of months, which has made buying from overseas a little less attractive.

It is still cheaper to buy online from the US and ship them over to Australia, however there are warranty issues that offset this saving. I guess that potential problem would exist in buying from Bangkok as well.

I suspect it would still be cheaper to purchase in Korea or Thailand than Australia. I will check the online prices as you have advised, perhaps I can find some online prices from Thailand to act as a guide as well although I will head to Pantip to buy some software. A friend of mine though has actually copied me heaps of software programs but might pick up some extras there as well.

My girlfriend who is Korean has already arrived in Seoul but she is not really into the electronics thing and I don't really want to send her off to Yongsan when I know how bored she was when we went there before looking for Software.
penguin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: kuk-il camera repair/canon digital camera Reply with quote

It seems the Kuk-il camera repair doesn't repair digital cameras. Sad

Anyone know where to get a Canon digital camera (lcd screen) repaired?

Thanks!
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: kuk-il camera repair/canon digital camera Reply with quote

penguin wrote:
It seems the Kuk-il camera repair doesn't repair digital cameras. Sad

Anyone know where to get a Canon digital camera (lcd screen) repaired?

Thanks!

Ah... I searched up an answer but just caught your post here saying you solved your problem. Good to hear.
ladyandthetramp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend was looking for a laptop a few months ago, so I checked out the prices at technomart while I was there. She ended up buying one at Yongsan (I didn't recommend it), but it seemed to me that the prices were generally cheaper at technomart. I honestly didn't compare a lot of specific models, but it was my overall impression. What have others found?
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She ended up buying one at Yongsan (I didn't recommend it), but it seemed to me that the prices were generally cheaper at technomart.

I think it depends on where in Yongsan she went. If it was Electroland or one of those other family-oriented retail places I doubt she'd do any better than TM. Possibly worse.

However, I'd be very surprised if prices at TM were less than at Sunin Plaza in Yongsan.

I'd expect a laptop to be cheaper online than in a store, anyway...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: