Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pension Refund and checking your balance
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Kalgukshi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Pension Refund and checking your balance Reply with quote

I've been advised that probably the best thread ever on pension refunds - all the way down to a URL for downloading a bilingual application form - is at:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=45228

Good luck.
lilla_fjaril

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: when can i apply for pension? Reply with quote

Hi. Sorry, I tried to do a search but the search function kept bugging on my computer.

I am in the process of getting my plane ticket home and i want to return home immediately after my contract ends. As long as I have a plane ticket, is it possible to apply for the pension refund a week or so prior to the end of my contract? Has everyone found it easier to apply for the refund in Korea or return home and apply from there?

Thanks
Roch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Pension Refund Reply with quote

Hi,

Show your one-way airline ticket to the pension clerk right away! It takes about a maximum of two months for the application to be processed by them.
Bobby O'matic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, without going into detail as to why, I won't be able to make it to the pension office with a ticket out of the country. While this is a sticky I have a couple of questions to cover a couple situations that aren't answered.

1) Is it possible to get a refund if your ticket(s) has a return portion to Korea?

2) Is it possible to go to a pension office in Korea that is not in the district where you worked/taught?

3) If you don't get it done here, in Korea, at the pension office before you leave how can you get it back in your home country? What documents do you need to take with you to prove you were in the pension scheme? Do you need your pension registration/confirmation papers or is a passport enough? Do you need anything from your employer?
mouseinhouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Pension refund with a one way ticket to... Reply with quote

I am leaving Korea next month and have a one way ticket to show at the pension office to prove that I am leaving. However, this ticket is not back to my home country (Canada). Will I still be able to apply for a lump-sum refund?? I have visited the Korea National Pension website but the information there about this topic doesn't seem to really answer the question so I am hoping for your feedback.
Big Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pension refund with a one way ticket to... Reply with quote

mouseinhouse wrote:
I am leaving Korea next month and have a one way ticket to show at the pension office to prove that I am leaving. However, this ticket is not back to my home country (Canada). Will I still be able to apply for a lump-sum refund?? I have visited the Korea National Pension website but the information there about this topic doesn't seem to really answer the question so I am hoping for your feedback.

Why don't you just make the application after you return to Canada? Just call Human Resources Development Canada in Ottawa and ask for the International Benefits Office. They will mail you the exact same form you would get in Korea. All you have to do is enclose certified proof of your nationality (ie. a photocopy of your passport with a stamp on it) and mail it to Ottawa in the envelope they provide. They will collect the money from Korea on your behalf and give it to you. It takes a few months to get it though.
princess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my contract ends on February 28th and my employer will hold my ticket right up until I leave on March 3rd. It makes it pretty tough to take my ticket to the pension office when my school won't give it to me until the day or 2 before I leave. And March 1st is a holiday, too, so the pension office will be closed.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pension refund with a one way ticket to... Reply with quote

mouseinhouse wrote:

It doesn't matter where you're going, as long as you are leaving Korea. Just go to the pension office and fill out the forms, same same.
Big Mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pension refund with a one way ticket to... Reply with quote

Big Mac wrote:

Why don't you just make the application after you return to Canada? Just call Human Resources Development Canada in Ottawa and ask for the International Benefits Office. They will mail you the exact same form you would get in Korea. All you have to do is enclose certified proof of your nationality (ie. a photocopy of your passport with a stamp on it) and mail it to Ottawa in the envelope they provide. They will collect the money from Korea on your behalf and give it to you. It takes a few months to get it though.

Ignore my advice on this one. I just found out that HRDC is way behind on this. They tell me they will process my application in a year. Apply in Korea if you can.
red dog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what happens if you fill out the form -- which includes a declaration that you intend to leave Korea permanently -- and collect the money, but then decide to come back to Korea after all? Are you allowed to change your mind?
chronicpride

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wiki.galbijim.com/Korean_pension_plan

HTH
pocariboy73

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This website link is great, BUT it doesn't answer the question of whether its possible to "collect the money, but then decide to come back to Korea after all? Are you allowed to change your mind?"
chronicpride

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocariboy73 wrote:
This website link is great, BUT it doesn't answer the question of whether its possible to "collect the money, but then decide to come back to Korea after all? Are you allowed to change your mind?"

Korean laws and policies are not ironclad even at the best of times, so if you are talking about an obscure scenario like that, then I wouldn't sweat it too much. I'd be shocked if there was a policy in place for dealing with that scenario, and my jaw would hit the floor if that policy was rigidly enforced. It just would not make a lick of sense as to why there would be something against what you are thinking about.

AFAIK, once you leave and collect your refund, you can do whatever the hell you want, including come back a month later and start anew with pension contributions at your new job.
red dog

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ... not too sure what the future holds, but this helps.
freebeerandchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it okay to do all this BEFORE receiving your last paycheck? In other words, while you are still employed?

And for an interesting twist on the old topic....

I don't have a physical airplane ticket for my departure out of Korea. I only have an E-TICKET. Has anyone dealt with this situation before? I am able to print off the email receipt of my e-ticket, but that is about it. Any advice?

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: