Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why So Many Great Thinkers Have Been Vegetarians...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pangit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine line between genius and crazy. Gandhi also prescribed an enema each day. Have you had your enema today?
JongnoGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2005/3/emw219804.htm

New York Times Corrects Article on Hitler: Refutes Longstanding Myth that Hitler was a Vegetarian

The New York Times issues a correction that smashes the long held belief that Hitler was a vegetarian. Sources for Hyler [<-- rather unusual typo. Confused ] eating meat are given.

(PRWEB) March 20, 2005 -- The March 15 New York Times "Corrections" box included the following important item on page 2:

"A film review about 'Downfall,' which looks at Hitler's final days, referred incorrectly to his diet. Although the movie portrays him as vegetarian, he did eat at least some meat."

While small in size, the correction represents a major victory for truth, since the myth of Hitler��s alleged vegetarianism has long been used to try to discredit vegetarians. If this inaccuracy is repeated in the future, as it likely will be, one can now refer to the nation��s "Newspaper of Record" to set the record straight.

As documented below, numerous published accounts and first hand sources have confirmed that Hitler's diet included meat. At times Hitler evidently refrained from eating meat (and using alcohol and tobacco), as a response to his many health problems, but his normal diet, and the food served at his retreats and residences, included poultry and meat, most often Bavarian sausages, ham, liver, and pigeons.

Indeed, the Nazis banned vegetarian organizations in Germany and the lands they invaded and occupied.
[...]
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

CONTACT INFORMATION
Richard Schwartz
JEWISH VEGETARIANS OF NORTH AMERICA
Visit Our Site
404-814-1371
Email us Here

Not exactly the most unbaised source of info regarding Hitler now is it.
Pangit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH! Do the enema one! This is so much fun.
JongnoGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
I guess some people would think that it's possible that it was manna hovering underwater.

Wasn't this exact same point made in some other thread a while back? Or am I having deja vu?
red dog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guru!

As for Jesus, there are so many stories about him and what he's supposed to have said, done and eaten -- who knows what the truth is? Some scholars do believe he was a vegetarian; others don't even agree that he was a real person.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never claimed that all vegetarians are good. There have certainly been some vegetarian demons... And not all vegetarians are meek, non-violent types either. Pro wrestling "Hall of Famer" Killer Kowalski and wannabe Bill "Goldberg" are notable examples of aggressive types...
JongnoGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JacktheCat wrote:
Quote:

CONTACT INFORMATION
Richard Schwartz
Visit Our Site
404-814-1371
Email us Here

That's just the website that carried the piece. The NYT is the source claiming Hitler wasn't a vegetarian. Isn't it? Confused
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JongnoGuru wrote:
JacktheCat wrote:
Quote:

CONTACT INFORMATION
Richard Schwartz
Visit Our Site
404-814-1371
Email us Here

That's just the website that carried the piece. The NYT is the source claiming Hitler wasn't a vegetarian. Isn't it? Confused

And who owns the New York Times?
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case, we all know that famous people can't be wrong. Hence, one of my favorite quotes (which I'm sure I've posted on this site somewhere) clearly illustrates the infalliability of famous folk.

George Gordon a.k.a. Lord Byron wrote:
Man is a carnivorous production,
And must have meals, at least one meal a day;
He cannot live, like woodcocks, upon suction,
But, like the shark and tiger, must have prey;
Although his anatomical construction
Bears vegetables, in a grumbling way,
Your laboring people think beyond all question,
Beef, veal, and mutton better for digestion.
- Don Juan (canto II, st. 67)
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Beaver," conceding that Jesus helped them catch fish, it still does not state that he ate fish himself. From a spiritual perspective, the first non-vegetarian food that's tolerated to be eaten when necessary - especially among the masses of people - is fish. (... then fowl, then goats...) What is tolerable for common people is different from the moral standard set by spiritually elevated saintly persons like Jesus and (his cousin) John the Baptist and other early Christians (and everyone in the Essene tradition.)
JongnoGuru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JacktheCat wrote:
JongnoGuru wrote:
JacktheCat wrote:
Quote:

CONTACT INFORMATION
Richard Schwartz
Visit Our Site
404-814-1371
Email us Here

And who owns the New York Times?

Some shadowy vegetarian Jewish media cabal?

(Tell me, was I close?)
Demonicat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, beaver, to be fair, maybe they were fishing for doughnuts and honey cakes. mmmm, sea biscuits <drool>>
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:
"Beaver," conceding that Jesus helped them catch fish, it still does not state that he ate fish himself. From a spiritual perspective, the first non-vegetarian food that's tolerated to be eaten when necessary - especially among the masses of people - is fish. (... then fowl, then goats...) What is tolerable for common people is different from the moral standard set by spiritually elevated saintly persons like Jesus and (his cousin) John the Baptist and other early Christians (and everyone in the Essene tradition.)

Now you're talking out of both cheeks and it's wet and stinky (and, no doubt, full of fiber).

John the Baptist clearly ate locusts, Jesus clearly ate fish, and while a case for John B. could be made of necessity, it could not be for Jesus. And, as Jesus set himself up as an example, folks can do what he did.

Y'see, your style of arguing vegetarianism is the same as the style that people use to argue religion -- nothing can be proven, but in an effort to support belief, all alternatives and refutations to the held belief are danced around, outright ignored, pooh-poohed, denied, or twisted on a single point.

Empirically, the vegetarians I know and have known throughout my life are not smarter (although many feel smarter or morally superior) than other people I know. I'll grant you that many (not all) of my vegetarian friends seem healthier, but that's a correlation not a causation.
Demonicat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest Question to all veggies: Why are fish below birds who are below cows who are below people? I always figured that all life was the same in value, and you just shouldn't eat yourself...er, your own kind...er, people.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: