Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buyeo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indytrucks

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Buyeo Reply with quote

I'm just curious what (if anything) is going on in Buyeo, Chungchongnam-do.

I visited there a couple of weeks ago at I must say it was really cool. Nice and quiet, very green, lots of grandmas and grandpas wearing hanboks haggling over pig's heads in the shijang, no Burger King or McD's or any of that $hit.

As was evidenced by the gaggles of high school kids screaming hello hello hello to me (one even shouted at me from a passing bus) I gather few, if any foreigners, live there. I'm wondering what the story is.

Thanks.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean Buyeo not far from Daejon? you are thinking about getting a job there?
I've never been there but the kids in my class have. it is very famous in korea! many koreans have visited the spot where 3,000 maidens leapt to their deaths rather than face dishonour. the mongols were invading. they tied each other's hands about the wrist, and to stone weights. into the river they leapt.
it was the capitol of the Pakeche kingdom. there is a museum there. not far away (forty minutes) is kongju. there is a museum re; pakeche kingdom there, as well.
if you want to LIVE and work there; i found settling IN to living in a smaller centre the tough part. it reminded me of the training to go scuba diving. learning to breathe out of a tank, rather than the surrounding air.
panicking, then settling down. at first, i figured the little city was an 'oil rig' i worked at 'purely for the dough', scooting the hell out for the weekend.
eventually settled down, though. get over the notion this is some big ADVENTURE in a FOREIGN country and wanting THRILLS all the time. which is HYPER, and not the mood of a smaller centre. very peaceful. but a struggle until the obscurity has you for its own!
D Shannon

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buyeo is a very cool little town with a couple of waygooks that I know of - an Aussie and a Kiwi. Every second year Buyeo hosts a great cultural festival. Don't be freaked by the isolation. A friend of mine lived in Buyeo for a year and absolutely loved it. Nonsan is close by and has a dozen or so foreigners (and a mickie dees if you're so inclined) and Daejon is just a bus ride away.
Squaffy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well off-topic, but must say/agree that indy trucks are the best for grinding. Can you do smith grinds along the coping of a half pipe, or 50's. riding on your back truck for an extended grind - backwards? Am addicted to smith grinds and reverse smiths, like approach frontside and switch to a backside reverse smith. Then just plop back in and keep on grinding. Been sk8ing for over 20 yrs now. Still a fan of the old Method air - highest I can get it is about 5ft above the coping. Just learnt to do a frontside stalefish (Korean friend taught me, egged me on). Good sk8 scene here. Plenty of ramps dotted about.

Um, shall we start a sk8 thread?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: