Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stay in Korea, or flee to Japan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe..

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

I got more money peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....
chi-chi

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mods you may delete

Last edited by chi-chi on Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
music CDs are three times the cost??? Uh, well I admit I haven't spent much time in Japan (a whopping 6 hours or so) but I did go to a Tower Records in that short time and the prices weren't even twice as expensive (albeit close to that: 200 yen or so). ...

Not to be anal or anything, but making blatant exagerations does not help one's arguement. .

Let's back that up.

Korea, I buy a CD a week. Cost between 9,000 Won and 11,000 Won depnding on the CD.

Japan, I usually shop for them online via Amazon.co.jp. Cost: 2300 Yen to 3000 Yen for most CDs, with some that I balked on costing as much as 4000 Yen. But now I just forward my requests to a friend who picks them up at a used CD store for less as paying 3000 Yen for a music CD makes me sad.

sorry, meant 2000 yen, not 200. anyway, you might be right about Japanese music CDs, I was just looking at Western music. In any case, the variety of music I found at that Tower records was 10 times better than any record store that i've visited in Korea. It made me rather depressed Smile
Alias

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another plus about Korea is that you don't have to worry about 7.0 magnitude earth quakes! Shocked

You ok Matko?
matko

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm ok. Thanks.

I've lived in Japan off and on for over 3 years now and have felt so many earthquakes, I'm ALMOST used to them Laughing

They can be very unnerving to say the least Shocked
tigerbluekitty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:

It's common knowledge that Japan is the most expensive country in the world to live in. You'd have to be living under a rock for the last 15 years to not know that.

That, and the Japanese forum occasionally has people saying "damn it! I'm not able to save any money in Japan!"

That piece of "common knowledge" might be outdated now.. Right now various magazines are saying that Seoul is the second most expensive city in the world to live in behind Moscow, Russia. Japan isn't really that expensive anymore, except maybe the transportation.

Some reasons why English teachers are unable to save money in Japan:

1) They are unable to control themselves from buying all the affordable goodies they come across, so they end up buying more and spending more.

2) They're hi-tech gadget freaks and always must have the latest piece of technology.

3) They become party animals and blow a lot of money on clubs and alcohol.

4) They become players and juggle many Japanese girlfriends, so they end up spending money on them for dinner, gifts, love hotels.

5) They love travelling and exploring Japan. Transportation is expensive.

6) They're obligated to go to parties with their boss, co-workers, friends which are often held at expensive high-end restaurants. Each party could cost $50-$150 per person.
shetan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I am thinking of heading to Japan in March, spend a year there and then decide which country to spend a few years in..

Thanks for all the financial info.. I am a little nervous about going to Japan even though its been my dream for the last 3 or 4 years.

I�ve gotten so comfortable in my little niche here in Korea... sometimes its hard to break out of your routine and take up new challenges... *sigh* must be a sign of getting old!! Sad

Turning up in Korea and finding a job is so easy� and the cost of living is pretty cheap. I go drinking 3 or 4 times per week and eat out every day� I�ve cooked 2 times in 1 and half years here.. Plus I am paying 1,000,000 won ($1000 usd?) per month in rent. I don�t save much.. maybe 500,000 per month.

Also I pay for everything for my gf� dinner, drinks, taxis.. literally everything�and by the sounds of it Japanese girls (I realize not all) expect the same or similar..

I�m worried Ill turn up in Japan and my life style will result in a miserable time� first 2 weeks of the month are great� last 2 weeks consist of staying home every night and playing World of Warcraft for 6 hours cause cant afford to go out!!

I mean a beer here is 2,000won or $2 us� When I visited Japan I could find much for less then $5�.

Is it possible to actually enjoy myself (considering my lifestyle mentioned above?)

Thanks for any feedback
tigerbluekitty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll find Japan quite comfortable and to your liking. You may find a larger variety of food there that are more tastier and afforadable. The rent isn't that bad either, depending on where you live of course, but $1k for a place in Korea is alot. That's about the price of a cozy studio in Tokyo. Eating out is affordable. Going out for a drink is also affordable. Of course you gotta ask the locals about where to find cheap eats and drinks, or else you may fall into an expensive tourist trap.

The Japanese are pretty good at making people WANT things, so you'll need some self-control and ability to resist temptation if you wanna save money.
Roch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerbluekitty wrote:
I'm sure you'll find Japan quite comfortable and to your liking. You may find a larger variety of food there that are more tastier and afforadable. The rent isn't that bad either, depending on where you live of course, but $1k for a place in Korea is alot. That's about the price of a cozy studio in Tokyo. Eating out is affordable. Going out for a drink is also affordable. Of course you gotta ask the locals about where to find cheap eats and drinks, or else you may fall into an expensive tourist trap.

The Japanese are pretty good at making people WANT things, so you'll need some self-control and ability to resist temptation if you wanna save money.

I'm in love with my posts and saw your own about Japan.

By the way, are you chick and are you as nice-looking as your avatar? If so, why don't we meet at the same pier used for the Busan-Fukuoka Ferry? I'd love you long time - and no questions asked, young lady.

R
weebil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how does cost of living compare now that the economy is in the gutter?
nguyendtu02

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Son Deureo!"] I'm with Manner, how are you getting the shaft? If you give more details, maybe we can help. [/quote]
What is Manner? Is that an organization that you're working with?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: