Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best place to live in South Korea??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Best place to live in South Korea?? Reply with quote

Where can I find the South Korean equivalent of Brighton beach front conveniently located in the middle of the Lake District??? I.e. Wicked nightlife with plenty of 'full on' and vibrant clubs and bars for cavorting, merry making, singin' and a dancin'... with a friendly community feel (if such a thing is possible in a city!) Yet still surrounded by lots of lush mountains and lakes (I want to be able to see the ranges as I come out of the clubs in the wee small hours...)

I don't particularly want to live in the middle of a built up, grimy, concrete laden city....and yet I don't want to miss out on all the social conveniences the city offers.

ANY COMMENTS ON ANY OF THE FOLLOWING THEREFORE?

Taegu
Ulsan
Kyongju

MANY THANKS!!

Em

Last edited by Emma Clare on Sun May 25, 2003 8:37 am; edited 2 times in total
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Where's the place that's got it all?! Reply with quote

Emma Clare wrote:

I don't want to live in the middle of a built up, grimy, concrete laden city....and yet I don't want to miss out on all the social conveniences the city offers.

Boy, you're in for a shock! 80% of Korea, especially Seoul and the cities you mentioned, are over-populated centers with tons of people, traffic, noise, modern high rise apartments, shanty-type apartments and retail buildings, new shopping malls, and trash-lined streets with drunks patroling them at night. Everything is close and quite convenient - supermarkets, busses, taxis, restaurants, etc.

Even your resort cities are similar.

However, I've never visited any city to the likes of what you are looking for.

Perhaps other posters can help you.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then how can 70% of Korea be mountainous then? Wink

I'm not a complete 'Hill Billy'. I've lived in both London and NY. I just [i]far prefer the countryside, that's all!

What about the outskirts of cities that are near to National parks?

The outskirts of Kyongju or Sokcho for instance...
Gord

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma Clare wrote:
Then how can 70% of Korea be mountainous then? Wink

Because people chose not to live in the mountains. Up until 20 year years ago, cars were luxury items owned by less than 1% of the country. When you have to carry everything home from the store, are you going to live in the mountanis away from everyone else?

Quote:
I'm not a complete 'Hill Billy'. I've lived in both London and NY. I just [i]far prefer the countryside, that's all!

What about the outskirts of cities that are near to National parks?

The outskirts of Kyongju or Sokcho for instance...

Sokcho is nice if you can land on the edge. I was lucky and got an apartment that was litterally on the edge of the city. I walk out the front door and turn left to go into the city, turn right and walk into the forest. But in Sokcho there are VERY few jobs (less than thirty foreign teachers when I was there last in 2001).
Grim Ja

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Grim Ja on Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grim Ja wrote:
Chinju City is always voted as one of the top five cities in Korea. It is a pleasant city with a castle downtown. It is about 1 hour from the beach in one direction and 1 hour to chiri mountain in another direction. There is a lake but don't expect to do anything but look at it, there is no swimming or boating in the lake. There is a river that runs through the center of the city but yet again I won't want to swim in the water.

But as for night life, It is Korea and it offers the same as every other Korean City and town, "Nights" and "Hofs". Not much else.

Give it a go, it might be the place with a good balance of urban and rural life that you are looking for.
Actually, I've seen alot of Korea.. and ChinJu or JinJu (depending on how you write it).. is QUITE NICE! I worked a summercamp there.. and I quite liked that city.. it was a little on the boring side however.. but i liked the people, the city itself, the surroundings, etc.. generally I found myself trying to get away from there on the weekends.. but still liked it overall though.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out gyeongju in the LP. best of all worlds there (e.g. beaches/lakes/mountains). every korean city is simply a miniature version of seoul without as much foreign influence. don't let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise. gyeongju seems cleaner than most other cities in korea, perhaps because it's one of the main tourist hotspots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: