Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japan Experts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Japan Experts Reply with quote

I'm going to Japan for two weeks in June and hope to visit this interesting place. Anyone been here? Is it worth going further south then Hiroshima? I'm definitely going to Kyoto too.. anywhere else I should see. thanks for any help

Last edited by Mashimaro on Sun May 25, 2003 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nara is pretty cool if you like temples and stuff. Close to Kyoto/Osaka, small enough to do in a pretty quick day trip. 8 UNESCO World Heritage sites within spitting distance of each other.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been through it. The city itself isn't anything exciting.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fukuoka's cool. A few nice temples and a decent downtown area. Home of the first Zen temple to be built in the country. Check out these sites...they might help you decide if you want to go there or not.

www.city.fukuoka.jp
www.fukuoka-now.com
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matko would the one to talk to.. I'm sure he'll notice this thread going sometime soon..

I've made four trips to Japan.. and covered Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Shimoseki..

If it were me, and I was going back again.. I'd concentrate on one area like Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe since you mentioned you are going to Kyoto anyhow.. its too expensive to be going everywhere.. and with two weeks.. hmm.. well, totally up to you.. its your trip.. depends if you want to see everything you possibly can or whatever..

Hmm.. 2 weeks in Japan.. i'd definetely get a Lonely Planet and make a good trip.. just about anywhere is interesting of course.. hard to say what your interests are exactly and what you would want to concentrate on..

I would think Sapporo and Hokkaido would be quite interesting.. the most northern part.. particularly in June as it would be perfect weather up there..

Mount Fuji would be nice particularly if you go to Tokyo.. that would be on my agenda i think.. as every Japanese person wants to hike Mount Fuji..

Hiroshima was really interesting to me.. but one day was enough.. the guilt and feeling in the air is just gunch-wrenching.. but definitely a must-see to me..

Hmm.. just about anywhere in Japan would be interesting though.. I don't think you could go wrong with whatever trip you make out of it..
Mosley

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to F-u-K-uoka, I highly recommend a visit to a place called THE ANCHOR BAR in the Nakasu entertainment area. Patrons dress up in WWII uniforms and have their picture taken!
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like kyushu. It's mellow.
Canadian Teacher

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in Kyoto, Nara, Kobe and Osaka are within easy reach at a reasonable cost. Going to Tokyo or Fukuoka would entail high transportatin fees unless you get a JR Pass.

I think a JR pass runs about Y25,000 for a week now and it is worth its way in gold! Osaka to Tokyo, can you say two hours? Kyoto to Fukuoka, three hours. It will save you a fortune!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: