Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

living expenses... realistically!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamasian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: 2011 rates Reply with quote

Hey anybody wanna update an estimate of expenses? I need to plan how much to bring over Smile
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2011 rates Reply with quote

jamasian wrote:
Hey anybody wanna update an estimate of expenses? I need to plan how much to bring over Smile

1st month you will need about $1000 to get by without scrimping on anything.

You can squeeze by on as little as $300 (but it IS a squeeze).

Most newbies bring somewhere between $500-1000.

wandrousmuse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Updated living expenses Reply with quote

justagirl wrote:

Plan on the 1.7-2.0 million for a basic salary. I asked my boss for a flate amount after all taxes, medical deductions, etc, so I know how much I'll be getting every month.

You can send over half of your paycheck home and still have a lot of fun. Since your apartment will be paid for, here are a few of the other estimates for bills, etc:

(this is what I paid for my place. It was 12 pyong)

Water: included in rent, so I didn't pay it. Shouldn't be over 10,000 if you do have to pay it.

Gas: in the summer, from 14,000 to 20,000
in the winter, from 30,000 to 65,000

Electricity: from 4,000 to 18,000 (I had a/c in the summers)

Phone: land line, calling locally, about 15,000
Phonecard: 25,000 each month 9 hours to call the US

Internet: ADSL Premium, 45,000

Satallite Cable: 18,000

So about 150,000 a month (if you even want all that stuff!)

personal spending:
Food 300,000
Travel (bus, train, taxi) 80,000
Entertainment (movies, museums, dates) 100,000
Medical 30,000
Contingency 50,000 (rolls over to vacation fund!)
Savings in Korea 200,000
To send home: 900,000

Anyway, this is just an idea of how you could spend your money. I'm not looking for someone to come attack me for spending a "whopping" 18,000 on cable, or how I should have a larger medical fund. This is just an informational post about what kinds of things you can spend $ on, and about how much some things cost (ie: utilities).

Smile

I have yet to find a more comprehensive sample budget for would-be ESL teachers in Korea. Of course, this was posted nearly 10 years ago. Is this still a fairly accurate representation of what one should expect to spend in a South Korean city? I don't entertain any false hopes of living in Seoul, so I've decided to stick to other large cities like Daejeon, Suwon, Bucheon, and Gwangju. The basic monthly salary is now about 2.1 million for hagwons, and I'm sure cost of living has increased (it sure has here in the U.S.). Also, how does tax, pension contributions, and healthcare deductions factor into salary?
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.2 million/month if you drink and eat out for dinner everyday. Take out the drinking and eating out to maybe twice a week that number could be cut down to 800,000.

Also depends if are in a major city and if you need travel there.
wandrousmuse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
1.2 million/month if you drink and eat out for dinner everyday. Take out the drinking and eating out to maybe twice a week that number could be cut down to 800,000.

Thanks jvalmer. Does that include insurance, utilities, tax, pension contributions, etc.? Do you consider Daejeon to be an expensive major city?
jvalmer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wandrousmuse wrote:
jvalmer wrote:

Thanks jvalmer. Does that include insurance, utilities, tax, pension contributions, etc.? Do you consider Daejeon to be an expensive major city?

Includes taxes and bills. Also, no car. But then again, everyone has different expectations of what they consider 'normal' spending and 'minimum' standard of living. Don't know if you grew up in a card board shack, or some mansion with golden spoons...
wandrousmuse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
wandrousmuse wrote:
jvalmer wrote:

Includes taxes and bills. Also, no car. But then again, everyone has different expectations of what they consider 'normal' spending and 'minimum' standard of living. Don't know if you grew up in a card board shack, or some mansion with golden spoons...

Lol, I get it. This seems pretty reasonable, and I really appreciate your input.
chrisbacke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: For what it's worth... Reply with quote

You can skate pretty cheaply, depending on how cheaply you want to live.

http://www.chrisinsouthkorea.com/2012/07/coming-to-korea-traveling-seoul-on-a-budget-cheap-cheaper-and-cheapest/ - it's an older post, but prices haven't changed all that much...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: