Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toenail Fungus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4 months left

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Toenail Fungus Reply with quote

I know a gross subject but has anyone got it here before? Never had it back home. I got medication for it but the doctor wants to send me to get my liver checked which I don't really want to do in Korea. I spend a lot of time in the gym so use a common shower regularly if that might have anything to do with it.
Nemo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gym showers?

Sounds like athlete's foot or a variant thereof (I'm no doctor). Toenail fungus and you're finding your toenail thickening?

I'd suggest Lamisil. Or constant trimming until it finally goes away.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the LOOOONGEST 4 months on record.
4 months left

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
These are the LOOOONGEST 4 months on record.

I just keep telling myself 4 months left...makes it easier. I'm taking a lamisil type medication. Probably athletes foot but was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience. Don't really want a Korean doctor scoping if it isn't necessary.
robot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i know what you may have.

it's a contagious disease that turns toenails thick and white with a powdery fungus underneath.

don't know the name, but getting rid of it is extremely difficult, taking 6 months and $450 of daily pills.

you also strictly cannot drink alcohol for that full half-year period as it can hurt your liver.

that's why most people just live with the disease. it'll eventually spread to all your toes, though, most likely over the course of several years.

but korea may have a super secret cure. a daily kimchi scrub or whatnot.

good luck!

ROBT.
4 months left

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robot wrote:
i think i know what you may have.

it's a contagious disease that turns toenails thick and white with a powdery fungus underneath.

don't know the name, but getting rid of it is extremely difficult, taking 6 months and $450 of daily pills.

you also strictly cannot drink alcohol for that full half-year period as it can hurt your liver.

that's why most people just live with the disease. it'll eventually spread to all your toes, though, most likely over the course of several years.

but korea may have a super secret cure. a daily kimchi scrub or whatnot.

good luck!

ROBT.

Disease or infection?? Luckily I work at a company and the pills are pretty cheap. Ya, no booze for awhile but no big deal, I'm an occasional weekend drinker nowadays. I won't really miss soju or Korean beer.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Toenail Fungus Reply with quote

4 months left wrote:
I know a gross subject but has anyone got it here before? Never had it back home. I got medication for it but the doctor wants to send me to get my liver checked which I don't really want to do in Korea. I spend a lot of time in the gym so use a common shower regularly if that might have anything to do with it.

The reason the doctor wants to check your liver is because antifungal medication can damage the liver. The longer you use it, the not so good it is.

You could be one of those unlucky people, so get it checked--it isn't a big deal.

Quote:
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), patients taking two prescription medications to treat fungal nail infections, may be exposing themselves to such risks. According to the FDA Public Health Advisory issued on May 9, 2001, that these drugs have been linked to severe hepatic or liver damage. The FDA, at the time it issued its Advisory, was aware of 24 cases of liver failure including 11 deaths associated with the use of these drugs which are widely marketed prescription anti-fungal medications"

Also try to keep the area dry as possible and if you have cheap or plastic runners get rid of them--they retain humidity and offer the perfect environment for fungal infections. Get shoes that let your feet breathe and get a few different pairs, especially if you're on the go all day. You can just keep re-infecting your nails wearingthe same pair of nasty shoes all the time. Go barefoot when at home if possible. "Dry" is the key.

Here's some homeopathic options--I'd try the undiluted vinegar soak (do it faithfully) because it's acid as hell and kills a lot just as well as bleach. Not expensive either. I use it to remove rust from metal because it is so acid. Works like a charm.
If you don't want the hassle of soaking your whole foot, you can always just soak some bandage or cotton in pure vinegar and wrap it around the affected toes and wear that all evening at home. Twice a day even better.

This stuff works for some people and not for others--it probably depends on the kind of fungal infection you have:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-94193.html

Quote:
The most popular home remedy for nail fungus is probably soaking the affected nail in a solution that will kill the fungus. Common soaking solutions contain dilute chlorine bleach, household vinegar, hydrogen peroxide or Listerine mouthwash. It requires daily soaking for weeks or months to clear the infection, and better results are often obtained if the nail is filed from the top to make it thinner, which allows for better penetration. Other home remedies for nail fungus involve the direct application of these same substances, as well as others like Vicks VapoRub and various essential oils. Again regular application over a long period, combined with filing and good foot and hand care bring the best results.

A dermatologist would be able to take a scraping and tell you exactly what kind of fungal infection you have.

Here's info about Candidiasis which can also cause the problem:

Quote:
Instead of looking for ways to temporarily kill toenail fungus, you need to get to the bottom of why you have it in the first place. Most toenail fungus isn't caused by having dirty feet, it is a symptom of an internal problem that originated much higher up, in your gut.

Systemic Candidiasis (AKA systemic yeast infection) is the cause of most toenail fungus. I suggest that you do some research on the internet or buy a couple of books on Candidiasis.

A medical doctor prescribed a month's worth of Diflucan pills to treat my toenail fungus. There was some improvement, although it did not last. The pills were beginning to affect my liver and the fungus came right back.

Next, I went to a homeopathic (natural) physician, who educated me on the yeast/fungus Candida. She put me on a strict diet and recommended a safe yeast killer. In addition to an overall improvement in my health, the toenail fungus cleared up completely and has never returned.

Good luck and I hope you can avoid the drugs!

Last edited by canuckistan on Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
4 months left

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Toenail Fungus Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:

The reason the doctor wants to check your liver is because antifungal medication can damage the liver. The longer you use it, the not so good it is.

You could be one of those unlucky people, so get it checked--it isn't a big deal.

From what I understood of his limited English he wanted to check for cirhosis of the liver...which might be a cause of the fungus.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Toenail Fungus Reply with quote

4 months left wrote:
canuckistan wrote:

From what I understood of his limited English he wanted to check for cirhosis of the liver...which might be a cause of the fungus.

I think in his limited English your doc might have expressed that bass ackwards--read up on the brand of anti-fungal medication you're taking (google it)--chances are it can cause cirrhosis of the liver which is probably why he just wants to check.

The info I've posted here was found with 1 or 2 google searches on "toenail fungus".

Heal thyself!
okokok

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same thing on one of my toenails. And really, the treatment is very easy, and you should have no worries about going to a korean doctor about it.

I went to Yonsei Severance Hospital, where they have a special foreigners section. Your doctor may not speak terrific English, but they have translators there that will go along with you.

You have to take the medicine for one week, and then three weeks off, take it for another week, three weeks off, and then take it for one more week.
The total cost of the medicine was 60,000 won. Within a few months, your toenail will be back to normal.

Before they prescribe the medicine, they will want to give you a blood test.

Oh yeah, try to do what I do now.... shower at home!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: