Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The best bank in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favourite bank in Korea?
Woori Bank
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
KB Bank (Kookmin)
29%
 29%  [ 8 ]
KEB
18%
 18%  [ 5 ]
CHB
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Other
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 27

Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:
kimcheeking wrote:
Bulsajo wrote:
Was very happy with Hana, and anything they couldn't handle I went over to KEB with. Give 2 thumbs up to both. Seoul and Citi-banks, on the other hand, get the finger.

Seoul bank is no more...They merged with another bank.

Hana took over Seoul Bank.

DU'OH!!! Embarassed
dogbert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makushi wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
makushi wrote:
I chose Wooribank cuz the name "Worry" makes me feel really safe Rolling Eyes

Of course, in line with the Korean trend to copy any new name, we now have "Wooritax" and "Woorilaw" just a couple blocks from our bank.

Don't Woori...be happy....

Uri means "we", or "our".

Yeah, I know. So why don't they call it "Our Bank" in English instead of their weak attempt at romanization. Or at least romanize it in a way that doesn't look like "worry."

A little market research can go a long way. Just ask Chevorlet about selling "Novas" in South American, or Coke's translation of their slogan "Coke adds life" into Chinese.

What kind of market research do you recommend? Do you think that Korean customers make the association "Woori - worry"? Or is it more likely that Koreans think of it as "Our Bank"?

This is kind of the opposite situation of the Nova or the Coke urban legends.
makushi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:

What kind of market research do you recommend? Do you think that Korean customers make the association "Woori - worry"? Or is it more likely that Koreans think of it as "Our Bank"?

Please, please, please spare me the tyranny of making sense!

Anyway, I just kind of assumed that the Koreans would read the hangul and the English, while most likely there for fashionable trimmings, might be used by some waiguks looking for a bank.

If you were a large financial institution wouldn't want to check out possible alternatives for translations of your company's name? I mean sheesh, at least go home to your kid and say "son...does this look o.k. in English to you." "Ahh...I don't know pops, looks kind of like of like "worry" to me." "Thanks, son."

Don't Woori be happy man.... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Woori". Just to bother people I would say "Ori" - as in "duck". I use the "Duck Bank"! Ha ha!

CM
dogbert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makushi wrote:
dogbert wrote:

Please, please, please spare me the tyranny of making sense!

Anyway, I just kind of assumed that the Koreans would read the hangul and the English, while most likely there for fashionable trimmings, might be used by some waiguks looking for a bank.

Potential native English-speaking waiguk customers: a few thousand, at most. Of whom maybe just a few would refuse to bank there on homophonophobic grounds.

Quote:
If you were a large financial institution wouldn't want to check out possible alternatives for translations of your company's name?

What makes you think they didn't?

Quote:
Don't Woori be happy man.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

See? There's a great positive association Cool
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A little market research can go a long way. Just ask Chevorlet about selling "Novas" in South American, or Coke's translation of their slogan "Coke adds life" into Chinese.

Snopes rules. Death to urban legends!
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tadpole.asp
Quote:
Both this advertising tale and the apocryphal story about the Chevy Nova's sales failure in Spanish-speaking countries are often cited as examples of the hubris of American corporations who fail to take cultural differences (specifically language use) into account when marketing their products in foreign countries. Both examples are untrue, and in this case the claim is especially egregious, as few companies can match Coca-Cola's amazing history of successfully adapting their product and marketing techniques to meet the demands of a wide variety of global markets.

Last edited by The Lemon on Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makushi: Maybe if we were in an English-speaking country, you'd have a case. As it is, it's no big deal if they scare the local foreigner, who ends up going there anyways.

Since when did "Woori" = "Worry", anyways?
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since when did more than 5~10 percent of the adult population know the English word "worry" anyway?
makushi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circus Monkey wrote:
"Woori". Just to bother people I would say "Ori" - as in "duck". I use the "Duck Bank"! Ha ha!

CM

Classic! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:

The guy cracks a joke about the name sounding similar to the word "worry", and everyone jumps on him as if he said something hideously offensive.

Lighten up, guys.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a bank account yet, but when ever I have had to wire money back home the guy at the Bucheon Kookmin branch was always lovely and got me out of there ASAP and with a very good grap of english (when it comes to dealing with large amounts of money I don't trust my korean enough).

Does anyone know if these banks let you open an account in a foreign currency as I'm thinking it's not a good idea to keep my savings under my mattress anymore. Also since I want to put the money towards my tuition in Canada (but since I don't have enough ID to prove I'm canadian, the banks they won't give me an account) and I can't send the money back to New Zealand as I don't want to lose anymore money than I have to doing unnecessary money transfers.

CLG
noelinkorea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: spelling vs sound Reply with quote

Not that 'woori' ounds anything like 'worry' anyways...I doubt foreigners in any great number would make an association between the two words, especially due to the double 'o'...not natural to give it a short 'o' like in 'worry'. The first statement was an odd one all the same.
makushi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holyjoe wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:

The guy cracks a joke about the name sounding similar to the word "worry", and everyone jumps on him as if he said something hideously offensive.

Lighten up, guys.

We have a winner!
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banks started a 5-day work week a year ago, sucks big time. I used to do all my banking errands on saturday mornings, but alas, I can't now.

As for best bank, i really don't know. I use nonghyup and KB. My nonghyup ATM card has stopped working twice since I opened an account there last october while never had a problem with my KB card except for in Malaysia (but not USA, Thailand, or Vietnam) the two years i've had it. Guess my vote is for KB then. The lady at the foreign exchange counter at the local KEB is really nice. Never used the services of any other banks in Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: