Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why teach at a university?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
different

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Why teach at a university? Reply with quote

A lot of teachers here seem to think that university jobs are more desirable than hogwan jobs. Why is that? It's true that there are lots of bad hogwans out there, but is a university job better than a job at a good hogwan?

The main two advantages I see are that universities offer much more vacation time, and classes usually take place during the daytime.

The teaching hours are less, but the prep time is probably a lot more (especially with testing and grading), so I don't think a university job is less work than a good hogwan job . The class size (for most positions) is huge compared to a hogwan, so the class atmosphere is less personal and you have much less flexibility in your lessons. The pay doesn't seem to be better, unless you have a master's degree.

I don't mind teaching kids. Except for the vacation time and daytime hours (which of course can be big advantages), why teach at a university?
SuperHero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16 weeks of vacation - do you really need another reason? Okay, teaching kids sucks big time.

Do you need another?
I teach the same class only twice per week and use the same lesson plan for my other classes so I only need to prep 2x per week.

do you need another reason?
Money - I make 2,450,000 per month, when I am working, for 12 hours a week. At a hogwon you work 30 hours a week for 2.0 to 2.1...

University wins hands down.

16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
16 weeks vacation!
different

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: How did you get that? Reply with quote

16 weeks vacation with 2.45 million won is much more than the jobs I've looked at. 12 hours a week? Wow. Of course, I don't have a master's degree. Do you?
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: How did you get that? Reply with quote

different wrote:
16 weeks vacation with 2.45 million won is much more than the jobs I've looked at. 12 hours a week? Wow. Of course, I don't have a master's degree. Do you?

I make 2.45 for 16 hours (12 hour base + 4 hours overtime). Over 20 weeks vacation.

No masters.
different

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you guys getting these jobs? Did you go through job ads like the ones on Dave's? Did you know the right people? Did you have lots of experience before getting these jobs?
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

different wrote:
How are you guys getting these jobs? Did you go through job ads like the ones on Dave's? Did you know the right people? Did you have lots of experience before getting these jobs?

Different ways to do it. I got my first university job through Dave's. I know people who have gotten jobs through going cold and applying. For present job I had a contact. Just make friends with people and the grapevine will help you.

Getting the interview is the hardest part. After that you can try the Beaver's no-nonsense get-a-job program as outlinedhere.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well why is the vacation that good?

Seriously. It means you blow cash going somewhere, or sit at home bored for 16 weeks.

I would have to add up all the weeks I get paid vacation...I'd say maybe it is 10 weeks spread throughout the year, then there are half days, exam days, MT days etc.

I work at a highschool. I know I could get a university job, but I don't want one. Why?

I hate really big classes.
I hate teaching people who don't want to learn.
I would really hate the begging and crying that goes on about grades.
I would kill myself with that much free time.

Sometimes it isn't about the vacation or the money. (If uni's were paying 3.5 a month well then I'd think about it...)
SuperHero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep myself busy during vacation. Studying, self-improvement, hobbies, study Korean etc..

25 students is not that big once you get used to it. Some of my students are motivated and those are the ones I try to focus on. The other ones I just try to get them to pass.

I don't listen to whiners about the grades. What I give is final, no negotiation.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperHero wrote:
I keep myself busy during vacation. Studying, self-improvement, hobbies, study Korean etc..

25 students is not that big once you get used to it. Some of my students are motivated and those are the ones I try to focus on. The other ones I just try to get them to pass.

I don't listen to whiners about the grades. What I give is final, no negotiation.

You probably got a good uni. I was talking to one of my old highschool students who is in uni now. She tells me there are 20 people in each class and they get into groups of 4-5 so it is a good learning experience.

I have visited buddies at their universities and just hear HORROR stories. Classes of 50-100 people, classes where under 10 show up etc. It was these stories of how things go down that have kept me away from universities.

I teach 20-23 students a class now. That is about as big as I can manage.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:

Seriously. It means you blow cash going somewhere, or sit at home bored for 16 weeks.

I would have to add up all the weeks I get paid vacation...I'd say maybe it is 10 weeks spread throughout the year, then there are half days, exam days, MT days etc.

You don't have to spend your vacation on vacation. I'm teaching at another university for a special intensive program (all legal) for 4 weeks of my holiday and that adds an additional 4,000,000 to my coffer.
shendallandkelly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick question on the uni topic. You get a lot of vacation time, but is that time paid? Pardon me if it's a silly question.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 students is a large class? Nah...it's not the best learning environment, but it's not that big.

I've had 50 students in classes before.
gypsyfish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:

Vacation is always good. I travel on mine. Traveling does not equal blowing cash.

And that's paid vacation, so I don't feel like I'm blowing the cash, anyway.
Alex Buffa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too bad, I work 16 hours a week and make 2.8 million

(12 base + overtime at 40,000 an hour)

I get 19 weeks vacation...which I think is a very good thing.

And yes...teaching children does suck...only a fool would teach in a hogwan after lecturing at a university.

Alex
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shendallandkelly wrote:
A quick question on the uni topic. You get a lot of vacation time, but is that time paid? Pardon me if it's a silly question.

Wonderfully, blissfully, paid.

gypsyfish wrote:
Vacation is always good. I travel on mine. Traveling does not equal blowing cash.

And that's paid vacation, so I don't feel like I'm blowing the cash, anyway.

You are on vacation getting wonderfully, blissfully paid -- don't be posting here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: