Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online Master's Degree???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the syllabus for Univ of Queensland and their program looks good. I am going the Aussie route because the Korean/Aussie exchange rate is the best, compared to Cdn. It appears I will pay about 1/2 of what I would pay in Canada. I need to pursue it further to be totally certain, but it looks good.
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a dork bringing this up but how marketable is an MA in TESOL back in Canada or America? Is getting a job at a college or university the only route?

CM
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circus Monkey wrote:
I feel like a dork bringing this up but how marketable is an MA in TESOL back in Canada or America? Is getting a job at a college or university the only route?CM

check http://www.tesl.ca/natstandards.html in particular look at level four.

Having an MA should make you more marketable as a esl teacher in any setting.
canukteacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the online master's program at UNE. I'd really like to know where you are getting your information. I saw the comment on EFL-LAW.COM and sent and email asking why they are saying this program is worrying................they have had my email for several weeks, and have not responded. Frankly, I think it is irresponsible to post a negative comment (or a positive one for that matter), and not give a person the info. to support it.

I have just enrolled at UNE (after being totally fed up with numerous problems with the McQuarrie prograrm). UNE has been good so far. All materials have arrived on time, they look good..........etc etc

By the way the head of the Masters program at UNE is a Canadian with a PHD from a university in BC. She apprears to be very qualified. Also, I saw somewhere on the UNE website where the school recently won an award...........for best new program........or something like that.

CT
OiGirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: MA back in America Reply with quote

Circus Monkey wrote:
I feel like a dork bringing this up but how marketable is an MA in TESOL back in Canada or America? Is getting a job at a college or university the only route?

CM

Arrow There is a difference in salary of about $200 a month for public school teachers with an MA in North Carolina: 2002-2003 NC Public School Salary Schedules

Arrow In New York State you NEED to have an MA to get your permanent teaching certificate: Requirements for Permanent Certification
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canukteacher wrote:
I have just enrolled at UNE (after being totally fed up with numerous problems with the McQuarrie prograrm). UNE has been good so far. All materials have arrived on time, they look good..........etc etc

Surprisingly I got all my materials on-time this semster. I had to harrass the guy in charge - sent him 1 e-mail a week for 5 weeks to make sure I got my stuff, but I got it. Brother I understand that Maquarie bs...I'm thinking about switching also.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aight, homes. I think that this thread needs to be revived. Just how hard is it getting into these online programs? Is it as competitive as Grad School in, say, Canada? My GPA from home isn't that great. As a Canadian, am I looking at paying more if I enroll in programs from schools that are not located in Canada? Actually, nobody has mentioned any Canadian schools that are doing these programs; do they exist? Also, what kind of jobs are you brave souls that are doing these prgrams looking at getting with these degrees? University jobs in Korea or Japan? Uni or college jobs at home? Corporate teaching jobs in either of the above? I am fascinated by the prospect of doing Grad School while continuing to work here, it sounds great to me. In the long run, however, I would like to get a job back home doing this. What are the prospects and how marketable would I be in "the West" with an online degree from these places? Does anyone have any anecdotes, or personal stories to contribute? I am thinking about the future, I find this to be one of the most interesting threads on this board in a long time.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyongshin Sangja wrote:
Just how hard is it getting into these online programs? Is it as competitive as Grad School in, say, Canada? My GPA from home isn't that great.

My GPA is not so good either, but several programs also take into account your work/teaching experience. Also the letter/essay that you submit with your reasons why you wish to study counts for alot.

Quote:
Actually, nobody has mentioned any Canadian schools that are doing these programs; do they exist?

Yes they do. I know that SFU has one, but you can't do it via distance. Also the requirements to get in are very very high. When I did research I remember a university in Ontario also offers one, but I can't remember which one, sorry. Maybe Brock?

Quote:
Also, what kind of jobs are you brave souls that are doing these prgrams looking at getting with these degrees? University jobs in Korea or Japan? Uni or college jobs at home? Corporate teaching jobs in either of the above?

I'm looking to secure my future as an ESL teacher, able to confidently get university positions teaching ESL. I'm also looking at the fact that it does open doors for me to teach linguistics classes at a university provided I go on to a PH.d program and get good grades. Having an M.A. or higher degree allows you to publish articles, journals, & books that will be read and respected to your credentials as well.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks very much for the information. Anyone else? Why aren't more people doing this in Korea? Most people just seem to sit around complaining about there hagwon and watching bad TV. I would rather be doing something that opened doors. You?
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyongshin Sangja wrote:
Ok, thanks very much for the information. Anyone else? Why aren't more people doing this in Korea? Most people just seem to sit around complaining about there hagwon and watching bad TV. I would rather be doing something that opened doors. You?

I'm with you there. Actually I know two people who don't frequent this board who are now doing a distance M.A. I've also met a few people, whom I am no longer in touch with, who have either finished or are in progress now.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a ton of research and inquiries, it looks like I will go with UN-L's online ME program. Looks very 'do-able,' and with an 18-hour ESL emphasis.

Although I may still well take that month in Bangkok for a TESOL certif, too! lol!

Regards,

G.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Gajackson, if you don't mind: why did you pick the UN-L (Is that University of Nevada at Las Vegas?) Price, timing, acceptance criteria, closer to home? Or were there other considerations? Where are you from and are you looking at paying more for your education as an international student (if you are one)? Have you ever taken linguistics before and is this a prerequisite for admission? Anything else I should know? Do you have a link? Sorry to be so needy but I am still interested in this.
Captain Zoom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something in Canada called the Canadian Virtual University. Basically, all of the universities and colleges that have significant online offerings got together and created this thing.

The way it works is that you register with a specific university or college through the CVU. You get your degree from that specific uni or college. However, you can take courses from any of the schools participating in the CVU, thereby broadening your class choices and ensuring that you can get all the classes you need online. I think you also get a discount.

I don't know what graduate programs are available, but it might be worth checking out.

Zoom.
K-in-C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Info Reply with quote

Here is the site address for CVU. http://www.athabascau.ca/mais/program.html
The program that will come up seems pretty good for those interested in teaching.

Cheers,

Kate
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well. These all look fine and dandy? Anyone else?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: