Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online Master's Degree???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TECO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distance Education and post graduate work are not compatible.

Avoid The University of Southern Queensland.

Do it on-campus.
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have to pay more for your tuition as a foreign student in Australia then you did taking the courses via distance?

Can you work on an Australian student visa?
Zed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryst Helmut wrote:
I just spent a lovely 4 hours at a symposium on distance education....wow, there were by far more problems mentioned than suggestions, and more nay-sayers than promoters....I'll super busy now, but will explain later.

!Shoosh

Ryst
Ryst?
TECO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed,

you've been talking a lot about distance M.A. programs - are you in one or considering doing one?

In my view, your better off going back for the 2 semesters it takes to do one.

Australian programs are still the cheapest, shortest (and easiest ?)compared to the Canadian/American/U.K. programs.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
Ryst Helmut wrote:
I just spent a lovely 4 hours at a symposium on distance education....wow, there were by far more problems mentioned than suggestions, and more nay-sayers than promoters....I'll super busy now, but will explain later.

!Shoosh

Ryst
Ryst?

Well, I suppose you want an update....well, my brain is fried and I can't find my notes...however, in a nut shell:

A slew of questionnaires (Likert-type) were given out to student and professor alike....their opinions were nearly unanimous, in the education field, distance programs completed fully on-line are/were well below the quality of the traditional classroom.

The speeches really didn't get into the acceptance of distance degrees, but rather on the logistics of instruction and quality of work, yaddy ya.

What exactly are your questions...it's really hard to summarize the whole bit. Maybe some of your questions were addressed..

!Shoosh

Ryst
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TECO wrote:
Zed,

you've been talking a lot about distance M.A. programs - are you in one or considering doing one?

In my view, your better off going back for the 2 semesters it takes to do one.

Australian programs are still the cheapest, shortest (and easiest ?)compared to the Canadian/American/U.K. programs.
I started one from Macquarie. They gave me 4 credit points for my Celta so I only need to do 9 courses. I'm considering doing part of it there but have virtually nil saved for this. How much do you think I'd need to do a semester in Aus? Can I work on a student visa? Is the cost per credit point different if I'm doing it there as a foreign student than it is now? How different are the courses on site (for example, would I write exams there or simply assignments like I'm doing now?) I'm afraid that if I decide to do a year there I'll just never get around to doing it because of the costs.

Ryst, I was wondering if they discussed the acceptance of these degrees.
TECO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed,

You can work on a student work visa.

Macquarie is in Sydney, so it's going to be more expensive than other areas for rent.

I paid about $1, 400 per course at USQ in Queensland but I would not recommend that you go there.

Macquarie is more expensive than USQ but not sure how much more.

Macquarie is also a great school from what I've heard and their TESOL program is probably the best in the country if not one of the best in Asia.

I still recommend you try and save up enough to do 2 semesters in Australia just to give credibility to your degree.

If you do it solely by distance, you run the risk of some countries/universities not recognizing your education, as unreasonable as that may seem.

You don't want to spend $15,000 on tuition only to learn that your degree isn't accepted in some parts.

The reality is that distance degrees aren't as accepted as on-campus programs and are still considered 'second rate.'
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice (over the past several months). If I can work there then it would make sense to do a year there surely. Not only that but I've never been to Straya.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TECO wrote:

You don't want to spend $15,000 on tuition only to learn that your degree isn't accepted in some parts.

The reality is that distance degrees aren't as accepted as on-campus programs and are still considered 'second rate.'

Zed, honestly, this meeting/symposium was not about the acceptance of such a degree, more on the lines of the problems it faces and how to counter it/them.

However, if you read my past posts about this, you'll see that Korean Professors who hire foreign nationals at their univs look down on the degrees, and I have recently found out that American ones do as well. Well, I only asked one university's TESOL/Ap. Ling. Director about it, but he said that on the whole, distance MAs are less-than on-campus degrees.

He said that if they had only 1 slot (vacancy) left for a student (doctoral level), but two were applying for it, the traditional based student would get the spot...nearly hands down.

As I've said before...I did half my MA distance (government endorsement for ESL education), and obviously the other half on campus....night and day. If given the choice for hiring a teacher, I'd always choose the traditionally educated teacher.

!Shoosh

Ryst
TECO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed,

I'm happy to tell you what I know/remember from my time in Australia. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go to Macquarie also.

CELTA - getting those 4 credits towards your M.A. is sweet!! How many courses is 4 credits - 2? I'm guessing you're exempt from Methodology and SLA - right?

I now wish that I had done my CELTA before my M.A. degree and had gone to Macquarie.

You're definitely doing what I should have done more of - asking tons of questions!
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One course is 4 credits at Macquarie so I only have to take 9 instead of 10 courses and save $1600 (this year's prices). They haven't informed me that it is in lieu of a particular course so I'm assuming it counts as an elective. I'll have to check.

By November I should only need 7 more courses. I think I may take one more via distance and then do 2 semesters with 3 courses in each on site. That should qualify it as an on-site course I would expect and allow me enough time to do some PT work also. I better start putting my money aside.
TECO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taking 3 courses each semester on-campus is a good idea. 3 courses per semester is still considered full-time study as well.

The good thing about studying at Macquarie is that even though you may pay more for housing, Sydney has more choices for part time work and a good transportation system.
Hanson

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more confused than ever... Shocked

MacQuarie, USQ, UNE, Birmingham, on and on and on...

Distance vs. on-campus.

UAE, Taiwan don't accept distance MA's, or do they? Confused

CELTA first, or don't bother?

My wife is expecting in August, and she has an Australian passport (of Korean descent) - maybe I could do a few semesters in Australia...

SOOOOOOOO much to consider!

I'll keep on researching...
Fat Marley

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any information on the University of Liverpool?

Is it credible? Or is it an online rip-off?

Thanks
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my Masters isn't in Linguistics it is in Educational Technology.

It is delivered solely on-line through the University of British Columbia in Partnership with the Instituto Tecnológico de Monterrey. The entrance requirements are the same as for the "traditional" on-campus masters programs. The "father" of e-learning (Tony Bates, PhD) designed the program.

The courses range the gambit from using technology to enhance the traditional classroom to completely on-line education. The material is quite interesting.

Anyway earlier someone suggested that post grad work was not suited to an online environment. I would suggest the opposite. I would suggest the higher levels of study lend more to on-line because they become more research based (assuming you can access the reading materials). The one down-side is that in academia as in business it isn't always what you know, but who you know and sometimes building personal relationships on-line is more difficult.

But in the interest of how online degrees are perceived I decided to start doing research into the PhD programs I am interested in. I have looked at both traditional and online (with on-campus sessions twice per year). So far my research has turned up that not only will the online degree not hamper my acceptance, it is considered a very reputable program.

It all comes down to where you do your degree and the reputation of the school and the resources they put into a program. By the reasoning of some here, some would suggest that a degree earned online from Harvard would be less respected than a traditional degree earned from Butt-FUQ U.

The people who do traditional degrees need to believe on-campus degrees are better otherwise why did they invest that time and lost earning potiential. People who are too lazy to do a degree also need to believe that on-line degrees are inferior because once they believe that the have an excuse for not starting a degree. And traditional profs that have no interest in teaching online also have a stake in perpetuating the myth of on-line degrees.

Does this mean all on-line degrees are great? Hell no!! Are all traditional programs great? Hell no!!

Hell the degree is only $3000 a year. Once I stopped drinking I more than paid for the degree. Smile The world today is about life-long learning. Pretty much no matter what your needs are, choose an accredited program with strong pedagogical outcomes and it will serve you in the long-run regardless of the delivery method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: