Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I obtain a cell phone (mobile phone)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bangbayed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Best place to get new phones in Seoul Reply with quote

After being told by numerous vendors in Yongsan that I needed to get married to a Korean (F2 visa) to obtain an SK phone, or that I would have to pay about double for a phone, I went back to where I got my original KTF phone in Shinchon. There's about a half dozen phone shops around exits 2 and 3 of Shinchon station (the corners where Macdonald's and A Twosome Place are) that are foreigner friendly. One even had a sign that said Foreigners welcome.

I switched from KTF to SKT, got a brand new Motorola MS400 (the small sliding phone) in my name , paid a 200,000 won deposit and didn't need a credit card; although I do prefer the credit card automatic payment system better. Saves me a trip to the bank and I can easily confirm the charges since I get statements from the bank and a statement from the phone company with a little pie chart telling me how I used my phone for the month. And despite the warnings from the Yongsan dealers that the only reason Shinchon would sell me a cheaper phone was because I would have to pay for additional monthly charges, the monthly charges were minimal (3000 won) for things like personalized ringtones etc. Which any new subscriber would have to pay for anyways.

Bottom line, forget Yongsan and the crappy Itaewon places. Go to Shinchon where they have student prices and welcome foreigners without hassles and pushy salespeople. Nice flashy phones too. Just bring your ID card and a bank account number. And cash.
withington

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bangbayed's old post was right on the money. Go to Sinchon, not Yongsan. I got my old phone in Yongsan back in 2005. LG Telecom service, Cyon phone. Had to pay 200,000 security deposit. When I recently went to cancel service, LG had no record of the shop (now under different ownership of course) taking my deposit. The contract did not have anything on it about the 200,000, and if I had a receipt I long since lost it. My bad, but it also shows the integrity of the operation in question that they didn't report the deposit for my account.
LG meanwhile says it's odd I had to pay a deposit because they don't make customers do that. I said, it's because I am foreign and have no credit history here. I have also heard of other foreigners having to pay this, so either the lady on the phone and her manager don't know what's up, or a bunch of stores are taking the p_ out of us.
I went to Sinchon to get SK Telecom service. No deposit needed, although I had to wait 4 hours in the shop. That seemed to be more about glitchy misfortune than anything systematic, so I still recommend going to Sinchon. Prior to all this, I bought another Cyon in Yongsan, and it sucked. Maybe not Yongsan guy's fault, but I don't care. If it comes from Yongsan, expect disappointment. The guy in Sinchon said the guys in Yongsan are liars, and I had to agree, despite the obvious bias.
MSU Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Yongsan was fine by me Reply with quote

I haven't had a problem buying a good cell phone at Yongsan. The price was about $50 for a new phone and costs about $10 a month. All I had to do was show my Alien Card to verify I existed. I had first bought a used phone for only $10, but it was in pretty bad condition.

Just go to Yongsan and get a decent phone, particularly one with an English-Korean dictionary (very handy). Most salespeople know a decent amount English, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting a quality phone.
alienbutter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Visit this website Reply with quote

You can buy the phone easily.

http://www.itkorea4u.com
Misera

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

withington wrote:

I went to Sinchon to get SK Telecom service. No deposit needed, although I had to wait 4 hours in the shop. That seemed to be more about glitchy misfortune than anything systematic, so I still recommend going to Sinchon. Prior to all this, I bought another Cyon in Yongsan, and it sucked. Maybe not Yongsan guy's fault, but I don't care. If it comes from Yongsan, expect disappointment. The guy in Sinchon said the guys in Yongsan are liars, and I had to agree, despite the obvious bias.

Where exactly in Sinchon were you able to get a phone without a deposit? We searched for 2 hours and didn't see any of the foreigner friendly shops on Saturday.. Only one shop near the McDonald's had someone who could speak English and he immediately said we needed that 200k :\ All the shops wanted the 200k, said we could only get prepaid, or have us use KTF and LG. There was only one that mentioned we could get it without the 200k but we needed a Korean friend to sign for us.

Just to add to this thread.. here were the rates we were given at each. We checked all exits pretty much:

SK plan: 12000 base + 120 won per minute. 55k activation fee. Cheapest phone was 60k. 200k deposit.

SK prepaid: no base + 360 won per minute (I think??). 55k activation fee. 40k phone (same phone as plan phone.. an anycall phone). No deposit.

KTF plan (best @ exits 7 & Cool: 13000 base + 108 won per minute. 30k activation fee. Cheapest phone was 20k (only offered at 1 shop). Most other cheap 1 year phones = 60k-70k. 9900 won for USIM card for the phones needed. No deposit.

I don't remember texting rate but it was like low like 20 won or something without texting plans.
Misera

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I decided that SK's activation fee was a lil high and we were offered better phones with KTF without having to get someone to sign or put down a 200k deposit (you do need bank account and ARC though). If you want to know which store we went to here are the directions:

Sinchon station Exit #8. Walk down a little and you'll see a SK/SHOW/KTF etc. cellphone shop to the left. There's usually one guy standing around at the entrance. Each time we've been there there has always been 3 young guys there that do the selling. There's one or two people behind at the computers, and this time there was a girl doing the selling as well.

The phones they offered were a 50k Anycall fairly normal slider phone, a white slider phone with a circle on the outside pad, and the phones that we got: LG-KH1800M LG Metallic Slim Slide phones for 70k. They have them in grey and red (red is prettier :p).

The people there are really nice. For our one year contract, we had to pay the 70k, they provided the USIM for free, sign up for internet for 1 month for 12k (some weird korean law??), and agree to pay 30k as activation fee over 3 months. They provided the cellphone charger and a clear case for free. You get to pick the last 4 digits of your cell number on your own. Anyway, we were pretty satisfied Very Happy The phone has a korean-> english dictionary (and other way around), subway map, pretty good camera, mp3 player, and tons of other features.

IF you want to get a super super cheap phone, if you go out exit 7 there's a department store to your right. In the department store, there's a cellphone shop on the 1st floor. The guy does KTF service as well and has a white cellphone for only 20k. My friend said it might be refurbished but if you just want something cheap, then it's probably good enough. He also offers 3 month contracts with the same 50k Anycall phone.
Carla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the mental capability of remember to go buy minutes, then I had no problem with my pre-pay phone. And it was mine. But I did know some people who, while they were good people, couldn't remember to load minutes on their phone if their life depended on it.
karismatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are prepaids still really popular there? Plan to go in August of 09, thanks
melek-taus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Hand phone at Yongsan Reply with quote

I went with my Scottish friend to Yongsan to buy a phone. On the 7th? floor we wandered to a counter and a man in a suit was called over. He spoke fantastic English and guided us to a different counter where a clerk had a sign reading "PPS here". I assume this was for pre-paid service. The clerk sold us both small cell phones for 40k plus 10K worth of talk time. I brought my ARC but my friend didn't even need his. He actually brought an out-dated passport! We were out of there in 25 minutes with our phones. They were obviously used, but work great. No worries. Phone even has a dictionary.
thurst

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any place where you can buy a pre-paid/card phone off the rack like in the US? i only ask bcuz i lost my passport and prob won't have a new one in hand for a week or so.
deadhead09

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my korean friend gave me his old phone to use. how do i go about putting the phone in my name and either picking up a monthly contract or doing the pay as you go thing?
(it is LG telecom model if that matters)
climber159

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my korean friend gave me his old phone to use. how do i go about putting the phone in my name and either picking up a monthly contract or doing the pay as you go thing?

Is your friend's old phone a card phone? If it is then you shouldn't have to do anything but keep adding minutes to the phone as needed. If it's a contract phone your friend will probably need to accompany you to the LG Telecom shop to make the transfer into your name. As far as I know, a card phone is a card phone and a contract phone is a contract phone; and, one cannot become the other (but I don't have direct experience with this; it's what I've heard from others).
alphakennyone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that site http://www.itkorea4u.com/ looks pretty cool. order online, phones come with two batteries, can use your passport until you get your ARC

BUT

33 won for 10 seconds? that sounds like it would add up REALLY fast.
catchshime

Location: "I am not born for one corner; the whole world is my native land."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like if you are going to rely mostly on texting and are looking for something cheap, getting a refurb + pay as you go is the way to go.
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgive if this was posted already, but i got a cell phone plan via global village...

http://theblackeslteacher.blogspot.com/2007/03/cell-phone-in-korea.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: